W639 Vito - replacement EIS and now U0423 code has appeared.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marqueemoon

Car
Vito 115CDi
Hi, new to the Forum, and Mercedes in general...

I'd been having trouble starting my Vito (2006 diesel auto 115 CDi) for about a month and got an auto electrician to clone a second hand EIS to mine. I fitted this, and it worked a treat, but unfortunately I now have the BRAKE warning light on, as well as the ABS, ESP and the one that looks like a tyre, whatever that is. When scanned the van has code U0423 (Invalid data received from instrument panel cluster module) showing. I can clear this, but it just comes straight back.

Is this just an unhappy co-incidence, or should I have swapped other components from the donor van as well as the EIS? The van was a 2005 diesel manual, and mine's an auto.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

To me it sounds like the incompatibility experienced between the 2 types of dash clocks.
When clocks are put in from one with steering wheel controls to a van w/o that's the sort of warnings that come up.

It is possible that the 'new' EIS came from a van that had steering wheel controls; mine indeed doesn't have them. So I wonder if it's worth trying to find a set of clocks from a similarly aged breaker that does have steering wheel buttons?

In truth I don't know but if you put the nicer clocks in you will need to zero the mileage so it can catch up and show the mileage in your ECU. Otherwise you will just have dashes.

This chap might be able to talk you through your options, I think his name is Mark and is well written about here and t'other place.

The chap who cloned the EIS can sort the mileage out and he's local to me, thanks anyway though.

I guess the next step is to find part numbers for these instrument clusters so I can tell which is which when I'm contacting breakers yards.

Ebay pictures should be easy enough to discern what your after.
The posher cluster has chrome rings round speedo and rev counter. The centre layout is a bit different too.

Some Vitos were like this but all Vianos were, post 2006 that is. What style is yours?

Some years ag Zenman did a lot on these, well worth a search.
His was the earlier style though.

Ebay pictures should be easy enough to discern what your after.
The posher cluster has chrome rings round speedo and rev counter. The centre layout is a bit different too.

Just as an aside ... I had to have the 'posh' cluster replaced on our 2007 Vito and the new one (dealer fitted) isn't identical. It has 'range' available on the trip screen (a big plus - I always missed having that before), and the style of some of the warning lights has changed. It's obviously fully compatible though.

Not sure how common cluster failures are on W639s but the problem with ours wasn't immediately obvious ... it would sporadically 'reboot' while driving. Maybe something to bear in mind if buying from a breaker (the UK's biggest cluster repair company had 3 goes at fixing ours and gave up).

Reactions: m80
Some Vitos were like this but all Vianos were, post 2006 that is. What style is yours?

This is mine, complete with impressive array of warning lights:

display.jpeg

Replacing this would come with the bonus of getting rid of that broken glass...

and although more involved you could add steering wheel controls

and although more involved you could add steering wheel controls

What do the buttons do? If they're for the stereo there's not much point as mine has a non-MB DAB unit in now.

mine has a non-MB DAB unit in now
Mine too.
While all after market units require a canbus controller, and some are better at decoding than others, some come with a decoder within.
Chinese units that are designed for an MB will usually plug and play with ease.
Mine is a little limited with some of the Android apps, but will make calls, send texts and direct me to desired locations from voice control.

Mine too.
While all after market units require a canbus controller, and some are better at decoding than others, some come with a decoder within.
Chinese units that are designed for an MB will usually plug and play with ease.
Mine is a little limited with some of the Android apps, but will make calls, send texts and direct me to desired locations from voice control.

Ah, mine's an old Pure DAB that doesn't even have Bluetooth, so I doubt it'd be any good in that respect. It does everything I need though, so I plan on keeping it until it packs up.

On the subject of the 'posh' clocks... are there different variations on these? I ask as I've come across two that look like the ones originally posted, but that have different part numbers:

and

Cheers.

In truth I don't know but if you put the nicer clocks in you will need to zero the mileage so it can catch up and show the mileage in your ECU. Otherwise you will just have dashes.

This chap might be able to talk you through your options, I think his name is Mark and is well written about here and t'other place.
Contact Mark as above, I've known him a lot of years & really knows his stuff.. I'm sure he will be able to sort all of your issues out no problem..

Not sure how common cluster failures are on W639s but the problem with ours wasn't immediately obvious ... it would sporadically 'reboot' while driving. Maybe something to bear in mind if buying from a breaker (the UK's biggest cluster repair company had 3 goes at fixing ours and gave up).
I swapped my cluster many years ago with the Help of Mark.. I fitted a 2014 Viano cluster into mine which I found later actually had Linguatronic already inbuilt into it which was great, as i later fitted the Command NTG 2.5 unit..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom