W639 Vito roof rails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

0nematty77

Car
Vito
Hi, I have a 2008 2.1 diesel Vito sport (long)
I've decided I'd like to add a roof box but that's where my problems start. My van has rails, which most suppliers don't list as an option when looking for bars.
Is there a way I can find if the rails I have are factory fitted? And if so what the load rating of them would be?

"Max roof load 150Kg
with at least 3 pair of support points."

My thinking is that means using 3 cross bars.
They should be at equal distances.
The warnings relate to raising the centre of gravity, and changes in handling, steering and braking.

Even if the Vito was fitted with after market rails, and has used the fixing points as per the oem fitted rails, I wouldn't expect the max loading to be any less.

Hi, I have a 2008 2.1 diesel Vito sport (long)
I've decided I'd like to add a roof box but that's where my problems start. My van has rails, which most suppliers don't list as an option when looking for bars.
Is there a way I can find if the rails I have are factory fitted? And if so what the load rating of them would be?

Hi & welcome.

You may be able to look up the build details from the VIN. But the fixing points (threaded inserts) are there on the roof as standard - the rails (or cross bars) just screw in to those. Two MB crossbars (mounted directly onto the roof) are rated to carry 100 kg ... adding a third one increases it to 150 kg as mentioned, so I'd expect the rails (which use all 3 mounting points each side) to have the same limit. I would check for cross bars to fit your rails at an MB commercial dealership first - the part number I have is B6 656 0450. If looking at Thule etc. use Viano rather than Vito as those had rails as standard.

Thank you both very much for your help. Some really good information there, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom