W639 Vito / Viano - Camper / Day-Van Conversion (Pop-top roofs)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyLC

Car
W164 ML320 Sport
I'm sorry but I wasn't sure which forum to post this in and I'm looking for some advice from members who may have been down this route before, so I chose General :)

I have been looking for a donor vehicle for a possible Camper/Day-van conversion for a while.. I looked at VW T4's, T5's, Vitos and Vianos.. The fact the T4's are just terrible to drive and very basic put me off those, the budget required for a decent T5 killed that avenue and issues with insurance for panel van based vehicles (albeit VW or Merc) left me with the Viano option.

After searching high and low I found myself a low mileage (80k mile) 2004 2.2cdi, auto, long model.

I also came across the Viano Fun (basically a Viano with a pop-top roof and a table & chairs in the cab) and decided that is EXACTLY what I want to create (as they were never available in the UK)..

Then I decided to start looking for pop-top roofs and this is where the whole game starts to change you're pretty much stuck with 4 options:
* Universal kit
* Genuine Reimo / Westfalia Roof (as used by Mercedes them selves).
* Terrible copy of a Reimo / Westfalia Roof.
* Pop-top UK's not quite so terrible copy of a Reimo / Westfalia roof.

The universal stuff looks toss, will probably leak and is just for standing room only so that removes that one from the list.. The cheap copies are just too terrible (will also probably leak/crack) and the pop-top UK ones aren't the best either they still requires lots of messing about to make them fit..

..That leaves Reimo and once you've paid for the Fitting-frame, Bed VAT & Delivery you're looking at £3k, plus it needs painting.

I've looked around and a reasonable mileage Vito camper with a pop-top roof start selling for about £12-16k but I don't want the cooker and all that bull**** plus I also want it to be an auto and have all the toys..
So, do I give up or do I order the Reimo roof and stop being such a tight ****?

Tricky one. Have you tried searching the european sites, especially Germany? There is a much bigger 'scene' for Vito's on the continent.

Ze-Germans seem to be using the Reimo/Westfalia kits which are also TUV/EEC approved for the Vito/Viano, but they come at a premium to us Brits :(

Over here its all VW stuff or Mazda Bongo's :D

One observation is that early 639s weren't galvanised and can suffer from rust problems (which the previous 638 was well known for). So I would go for a 2005 onwards if you possibly can.

As GVM said there's a lot more interest in Europe and Germany in particular, M-B have their own camper version of the latest Viano/Vito that isn't going to be sold in the UK:

Mercedes-Benz Marco Polo camper van revealed | Auto Express

I looked at 2004-07 model whens shopping around and I came across 07 models that were covered in rot (one even had both rear-arches rotted out) and early models with very little.. Mines got perforation on the drivers door (but there is evidence of the drivers door and wing being re-sprayed) and the tail-gate has clearly been painted once or twice to cover up the rust.. The rest of the car is pretty solid.. I really don't think there is a good way to judge which models will rust or not?

There are obviously occasional exceptions but mostly the galvanised ones are pretty good and the early ones are pretty bad. I know a lot of people who own Vitos :D

Reactions: 219
I've been talking to Adam at Vanhaus, I was looking for some detailed photos of a Vito/Viano with the roof installed but he didn't have any to hand? I don't suppose you friend has any? I'd be grateful if you could ask please? :)

Just emailed him , and he said there are a few pictures of his conversion on the VanHaus facebook page dated 16th AUG , but if you want to give him a ring he would be more than happy to try and help out . Cnt PM you for some reason, can you post an email address up or change your settings so i can pass it on ??

Nick

He just sent me over a couple of interior shots.. I have to say I think I prefer the fit of the re-enforcing frame over that of the PTUK kit.. I'm still slightly swaying towards the Reimo kit even though its £800 more expensive.

Another question.. Has anyone ever tried customising a 3 row of seats so they function like those Viano Fun? (i.e. they fold flat and make a bed)..

Fun_04_715x230_de_05-2008.jpg

I was thinking it would be pretty nice to have a row of three that would fold back (flat) and then they could slid forward to meet with the base of the rear-facing captain seats which would give a pretty good length for a bed and also leave some space at the rear..

Buy a LHD Viano Fun in Germany? Or maybe find one from a German salvage yard and swop the parts into a UK van?

Nick Froome

Reactions: 219
I would be better of re-shelling the fun in this country otherwise it would be an insurance nightmare.

Can't you just buy a Bongo?

Reshelling German vans seems hard work.

Re-shelling as far as swapping the interior out, which would be quite simple.. There's always a market for LHD vans for export from the UK too.

A reasonably tidy Viano FUN Long can be had for £7k or less from Germany, you'd be hard pushed to find a tidy bog standard Viano over here for that.

Another question.. Has anyone ever tried customising a 3 row of seats so they function like those Viano Fun? (i.e. they fold flat and make a bed)..

Fun_04_715x230_de_05-2008.jpg

I was thinking it would be pretty nice to have a row of three that would fold back (flat) and then they could slid forward to meet with the base of the rear-facing captain seats which would give a pretty good length for a bed and also leave some space at the rear..

Hmm that looks comfy. :crazy:
If I was looking at bedding down on that I think I'd go out and commit a misdemeanour to see if I could get a nice cell instead.

More comfortable than a tent or sleeping on the captain seats :D

There is a roll out mat that is supposed to go over the top of the seats too.

How about folding the middle row/second row seats up and putting two camp beds between the sliding doors or do you need more beds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom