W639 Vito/Viano instrument cluster issue ('re-booting' while driving)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Got a strange problem with our 2007 W639 Vito - the cluster display has started 're-booting' (for want of a better description!) intermittently while driving. It goes blank, then displays 'no data', then comes back up with the miles/mpg/time/speed stats. all reset. I *think* the red SRS light on the dash comes on momentarily, but not 100% sure of this. The main odometer is OK, and the trip mileage on the odometer screen is usually (but not always) retained. So it's an annoyance rather than the end of the world!

It's been doing it for a month or so, the interval between occurrences is quite variable ... sometimes 500+ miles, other times it can happen again after 5 or 10 miles. The van was in for service yesterday (main dealer) and they couldn't identify the problem. Apparently there were some errors logged on the cluster which they cleared, connections and wiring looked OK, and it was fine on a road test. But then it reset itself twice on the drive home :doh:

I know we have a few other Vito & Viano owners here - has anyone else seen (or heard of) this problem? Presumably it's either an issue with the cluster unit itself or the wiring loom somewhere.

We have not had exactly the same problems but did experience some very weird effects with the display. We had a few but the main one was the speed which fluctuated wildly even when stationary and the engine idling. The Viano even locked me out when I got out with the engine running. After a lot of investigating by the MB dealer it was suggested as a last resort to try a new key. It solved everything and has never happened again.

That sounds bizarre.

The cluster was pulled on ours when the CPS failed (to check the fuel level - ruling out no fuel as a reason it wouldn't fire). I did wonder if something got disturbed then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom