Wahay - I've managed to hit the claimed mpg figures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
It has taken a while to figure out how to drive the little Smart in an economical manner. I must say that it is really quite hard to get over 70mpg in town.

But last night on my commute across west London in less than ideal conditions I managed to hit my target despite the engine still being very tight with less than 1k miles on the clock.

The average MPG is on the LHS of the screen. :bannana:

screenshot.jpg

That's a very smart display!! ;)

I must say, I'm rather happy with the smart as a commuting tool.

I'm saving over £50 per week in fuel by commuting in it.

Excellent! I might have to enquire about s/h values before too long.

Do you know that the readout is accurate?

Looking at those mpg figures I'd be suspicious - if you have a highest of 85.0 and a lowest of 53.1, the average cannot also be 85.0!

Also the l/100km figures above that don't match. If you convert those into mpg you get:

Average (2.8)- 100.8 mpg
Best (2.8) - 100.8 mpg
Worst (4.4) - 64.2 mpg

:confused::dk:

Do you know that the readout is accurate?

Looking at those mpg figures I'd be suspicious - if you have a highest of 85.0 and a lowest of 53.1, the average cannot also be 85.0!

Also the l/100km figures above that don't match. If you convert those into mpg you get:

Average (2.8)- 100.8 mpg
Best (2.8) - 100.8 mpg
Worst (4.4) - 64.2 mpg

:confused::dk:

Interesting observations. The average figures are per journey not overall. So my best average journey was 85 and my worst was 52.1

As for the numbers... it looks like the conversions are correct for US gallons. This means that I'm doing significantly better than I thought (I think).

Slightly concerning though that working out full to empty usage I seem to be getting the MPG figures shown. Maybe I need to go into the settings and work out what is going on.

Yup I'd just twigged the US gallons issue.

Assuming the l/100km figures are correct, your lowest mpg journey was 64.2 (UK) mpg, and your best was 100.8 (UK) mpg. Those sound rather high for a brand new car - what are the book figures?

The official figures are 83.1/85.6/85.6 (mpg) which compares quite well to what I'm seeing.

I need to read up on the Torque application and see what I'm doing wrong. I get the feeling that theres a software bug which calculates the KM/L using US Gallons despite me setting my profile to imperial ones.

It has taken a while to figure out how to drive the little Smart in an economical manner. I must say that it is really quite hard to get over 70mpg in town.

But last night on my commute across west London in less than ideal conditions I managed to hit my target despite the engine still being very tight with less than 1k miles on the clock.

The average MPG is on the LHS of the screen. :bannana:

screenshot.jpg

Thats what i get to a tank when i'm angry:eek:

I just brimmed the tank this morning and I did 440 miles for 26 Litres.

I believe that works out to 76 mpg average over the tank full which probably ties in with my best average commute of 85mpg.

I really can't complain about these figures at all as it means I'm not putting miles on the SL commuting and the fuel savings I'm making cover the entire cost of the Smart ownership by a reasonable margin.

Last edited:
With the recent warmer weather, I've seen some improvements in the little Smarts MPG.

The last fillup I got 480 miles for 24.8 Litres. (brim to brim)

87.1 MPG (travelling across west London in rush hour) :bannana:

And here's me being happy I crept over the 21mpg briefly today for the 150 mile round trip into the office...

K

I once got 30 mpg on a run to Reading from London ,,,but that was at 50 mph grrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom