Wait For 2 Mins Before Driving Off In S320?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wiizzy

Car
S320
Hi all,
I just bought a 2001 Mercedes s320 Automatic on ebay yesterday and while making arrangements with the seller today, he said the only thing he forgot to write about in the description on ebay is that:

Everytime you start the engine, you will have to wait for about 2 minutes before driving off because in January when he did some work on the gearbox, the mechanic advised him to always do this.

I'm very concerned with this and since this is my first Mercedes, i wanted to get the opinions of seasoned Mercedes enthusiasts.

I'd really appreciate if anyway can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a load of BS to me.

What happens if you dont wait 2 mins?

Hi all,
I just bought a 2001 Mercedes s320 Automatic on ebay yesterday and while making arrangements with the seller today, he said the only thing he forgot to write about in the description on ebay is that:

Everytime you start the engine, you will have to wait for about 2 minutes before driving off because in January when he did some work on the gearbox, the mechanic advised him to always do this.

I'm very concerned with this and since this is my first Mercedes, i wanted to get the opinions of seasoned Mercedes enthusiasts.

I'd really appreciate if anyway can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks in advance.
I can't imagine what the issue would be, if it were an old diesel and you had to wait for the glow plug light to go out I'd understand, but it isn't.
Personally I'm moving virtually as soon as my **** hits the cushion simultaneously attaching the seat belt.

Thanks for the replies.
Do you guys reckon its nothing to worry about, even as he said that was the advise from the mechanic?

I'm planning to pick up the car tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.
Do you guys reckon its nothing to worry about, even as he said that was the advise from the mechanic?

I'm planning to pick up the car tomorrow.

If you've any doubts move on and find another car, its not as is they're rare.

If it's specifically gearbox related, does the oil pressure need to build up in the gearbox, or something?

I like to let mine idle for 30 secs or so, but I often don't use it for a week at a time. My missus will almost be reversing down the drive while she's still turning the starter in her car!

I'd be very interested to hear 'the mechanics' reason for waiting 2 minutes before moving off.........sounds like a load of b@ll@cks to me....... or maybe its to mask a fault?.

Just spoke to the seller again and he said the mechanic advised him to do this as it is a good practice for the longetivity of the gearbox and engine.

I think its just BS from the mechanic anyway.

Thanks for all your quick responses. I'm looking forward to picking up the car tomorrow and will be back here to tell you all about it.

Cheers guys!

I like to let mine come off cold fast idle before setting off - just OCD habit, but it's a treat when I use mine.

In the KA it gets a thrashing from the get go, poor thing !

Just spoke to the seller again and he said the mechanic advised him to do this as it is a good practice for the longetivity of the gearbox and engine.

I think its just BS from the mechanic anyway.

M-B advise on all their vehicles that you should drive off as soon as possible, so it definitely sounds like BS. Hope all is well with the car.

It's either BS or it's masking a fault with a rough gearbox.

I'd be wanting to test drive the Car instantly from stone Cold start to see how the gearbox felt with some slow speed up and down changes around town for the first 10 mins or so.

Then see if the gearbox feels better when it's warm.

On my 43 I could,nt put it in gear for the first approx 2 minutes without it stalling tried lots of things but nothing fixed it, it turned out to be the torque convertor at fault.
If it was me I would want to start it and drive it straight from cold to eliminate this as a possibility.
It has to be first time first thing in the morning.

Merc boxes always hold on to the gears longer when the box is cold so that they warm the oil quicker. But I never let mine warm before I use it just drive off. Have a look at colour of oil on gear box dipstick if you can and drive off when cold to see if any issues. It may be worth taking someone along who nows the cars as it is your first experience and you may not know what to expect!

On my 43 I could,nt put it in gear for the first approx 2 minutes without it stalling tried lots of things but nothing fixed it, it turned out to be the torque convertor at fault.
If it was me I would want to start it and drive it straight from cold to eliminate this as a possibility.
It has to be first time first thing in the morning.

That would be my suspicion too.

Strange how the seller "forgot" such an important omission, but has now remembered to mention it before the sale concludes.

Merc boxes always hold on to the gears longer when the box is cold so that they warm the oil quicker.
Just to be clear, this behaviour is to warm the engine oil faster... not the ATF.

Definitely sounds alarm bells to me - there is absolutely no normal reason why anyone would do/say this. Be on guard and check the car very well - or walk away. Doesn't sound good to me at all. Plenty of other cars out there so if in doubt...?

Ok, I may get slated for this and 2 minutes after starting is possibly overdoing it a bit but on all my cars and motorbikes, those I have and have had, I generally let the motor sit at idle for a short while before pulling away....its an old thing I was told many years ago and makes perfect sense to me.
notwithstanding there are time when I don't wait which is rare and wifey...must be a woman thing, turns the key and sticks it in gear simultaneously much to my annoyance.
The thing about starting and pulling away immediately is its more eco friendly, and more likely to be pushed as the thing to do by Mtoring manufacturers.

Just my opinion anyways
Cheers
R:)

The thing about starting and pulling away immediately is its more eco friendly, and more likely to be pushed as the thing to do by Mtoring manufacturers.

It's also better for the engine, but don't let Wifey be right and you wrong...

It's also better for the engine, but don't let Wifey be right and you wrong...
'fraid I cant agree but there ya go....most bikes water and air cooled I have owned have suggested allowing engine to get up to normal operating temp before puling away.....of the car handbooks that I read years ago these used to suggest the same thing.
When someone can explain the benefit in starting and driving off I might begin to do it....and I did say explain the benefit....eg; lets leave the car for 8 hours or more allow all the oil to drain into the sludge in the oil pan the start and rev like mad....yea reckon that sounds about right?
Opposing views maybe but I'm gonna continue waiting the odd minute...
Cheers
R;)

As said - MB manual (and every other car I've owned) has always said 'do not idle, pull away from cold'.

I'd also be suspicious that this is covering up something - nothing like a bit convenient amnesia.

I'd also try it from cold. You need to communicate that you want to try it from cold. If the engine feels warm after that - I'd walk away as something is being hidden which you will have to pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom