Wales Rally GB - A Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
My lad and I are going to Wales Rally GB on a day ticket for the Saturday.

A simple question - will I be ok in my car, or should I take the wife's Focus?

He seems to think there will be driving on mud tracks/poor roads between stages - I'm hoping there will normal roads and places to park, as spectators.

Any advice gratefully received.

The stages can get very crowded and parking is usually in forest car parks near the stages. As you probably know, the weather here is very unpredictable and can vary from hot and dry to torrential rain and thick mud, usually the latter.
I haven't been for a few years but I used to be involved in the policing of it. They take a dim view of speeding, competitors and spectators, and will tow away vehicles parked on grass verges etc.
We have got a Focus and, if I was going I would take that. Have a good time.

As ever..... my knowledge is years out of date :) Bet it's not changed though.

Car parking always used to be a bit haphazard, perhaps in a field, or on the side of a road. The actual access roads generally ok. Let's face it they have a problem if you get stuck....

I do remember even further back, when I was a kid my parents parking a Rover 2600 SD1. We go very stuck, eventually rescued by a landrover in front. We were by no means the only ones.....

My last experience of that rally, I too have a focus, and I would take that if I was going, despite it being nice to have automatic in the Merc for the inevitable traffic jams.

Neil

Take the focus! The forest tracks get really crappy and muddy, the Merc may be way too powerful on the mud, and you don't want to crap the nice paint work up. Rallys really good fun and spectacular to watch, they go at amazing speeds on forest roads 100mph Plus. Was at Mira one year marshalling on a night stage in the snow, the top guys brakes were glowing incandescent orange , that's in the snow!
If you like speed the European top fuel meetings at Santa Pod are worth a crack and the parking is ok so a nice cruise for the Merc, how fast is it ? One of the guys managed 0- 318 mph in 3.8 sec last month, yes that's under 4 Sec. Have a great trip to rally Wales

Last edited:
There's also the Neil Howard Stages at Oulton Park on the 5th of November (followed by fireworks).

Not as spectacular as Rally GB, but still quite entertaining to watch the lower categories of rallying throwing their cars around the circuit.

Yes as said deffo take the focus..!
Remember going to Chester in the early 80's with my old man to see my future wife Michelle moulton driving a S1 Quattro. Don't know who I loved more the car or her....

Michelle was a top rally driver in her day and known for being devastating in the Quattro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom