Wall crash at home. Which insurance to go through?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

a car driver has hit one of our boundary walls.

We have name and insurance details.

Would you speak directly with his insurance?

Would you go through your own home insurance?

TIA

Call your home one and just pass them the details

IMO... depends... If you want your house insurer to know about the crash, but at the same time don't want the hassle of chasing their insurers... call your insurer...

If you don't mind the hassle of chasing his insurer... and don't want to tell yours, call them directly. Problem is... if they don't pay up (for whatever reason), then your insurer may have an issue with you not having called them immediately...

M.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me many years ago. A lorry reversed into my front boundary wall.
I phoned my home insurance company and they dealt with the whole thing - including claiming off the lorry drivers insurance - and getting a builder to re-construct the wall completely. Repairing an existing brick wall NEVER matches in and always looks a repair. Not good.

I had the same thing a few years ago - only the culprit in my case wasn't insured - so no option but to claim against the household insurance . They sent someone round to inspect and told us straight away to get quotes for the work ( cheapest was still about seven grand - for about 30 feet of brick wall ! ) . Similarly , they replaced the entire wall - even though old wall was well 'weathered' .

21Aug-1.jpg

Going through your insurer is likely the least stressful way and you get sorted out without having to wait for the other side's insurance to decide .

Inform your house insurer first and pass on the offending drivers details. Suggest you take some detailed digital photographs [ date stamp enabled on images if possible with your camera ]--- in daylight of the damage- better still some photos just post accident including the offending vehicle -but probably too late for that if the vehicle has been removed

Spoke to his insurer. His car was written off. Took him 4 weeks to come to our door and tell us. I suspect he was wanting to get away with it but after his car was an insurance write off decided to tell us. Anyway, I'm glad he decided to do the decent thing.

His insurer has agreed to cover the cost and wants 2 quotes. Sorting it out

Which insurance company is involved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom