Wally!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
This morning I was in the right hand lane of two lines of traffic queing at traffic lights at a major junction in rush hour, when a Wally in a metro decided to drive down the wrong side of the road and try to put himself at the front of the queue. Well this is Britain and we queue so every single car in the line closed the gap and left him on the wrong side of the road. The lights changed and suddenly he realised that a massive line of traffic had been released towards him!! He slammed it into reserve and raced backwards down the wrong side of the road to the back of our queue. Honest I didnt laugh much;)

Legend !!! :D i love it when things like that happen.

Watching all those cars close ranks, really restores my faith in other road users ........

Just like when a dual carriageway goes to one lane in roadworks and people fly down the outside till the last possible moment, and the queue just wont let them in. :devil:

nice one , i really hate people who squeeze in..

And the morons that let them in :devil:

The lorries that block both lanes in contraflows rock ... keep up the good work :D

fuzzer said:

The lorries that block both lanes in contraflows rock ... keep up the good work :D

I tried once to keep to the left hand lane in a contraflow once while driving a removal truck, i reckon i must have knocked over at least a hundred cones !!

Chaos everywhere!! :rock:

Mambo said:
London driving mate :crazy:

It's a lot nicer up north :rolleyes:
Not just London, but the South-East in general I think.
It is calmer to the North and South-West.

I just get the feeling that no-one respects the road rules down here. It's so frustrating when you come from a 'compliant' society.

fuzzer said:
Every morning the only fun bit of the drive to work is where I queue for about 5 minutes to get off the motorway sliproad then queue down a hill into town. The "clever" people take the right hand lane up the sliproad then take a left into the right hand lane of the road into town. The right hand lane becomes right-only with no lane for them on the other side of the junction and lights that filter at different times, so they MUST get into the left hand lane at some point before the end if they want to go straight on or left. This is the fun bit :) . Always some "clever" person (usually a BMW!) tries to sneak in a gap between cars, there is a pedestrian crossing half way down that usually leaves a gap in the traffic. There are also a lot of trucks that set off slowly so the "clever" people can sneak in there. I usually "mark" the cars for speed so whatever they do, I am blocking them ;) . They will get in eventually though, sometimes they stop at the end and indicate left, blocking up 2 lanes of traffic because they were too impatient to queue like the rest of us, sometimes they really put their foot down (am I limited by the gap between me and the car in front) and get in somewhere in front of me when a moron lets them in.
fuzzer said:
HELLO? You just queued for the last 10 minutes and you let some impatient person who's just turned up screw you and the rest of us! Total morons.

scotth_uk said:
I just get the feeling that no-one respects the road rules down here. It's so frustrating when you come from a 'compliant' society.
It's the ME FIRST attitude.
If you do leave a sensible (safe) gap when driving, someone else will go in it.

PJH said:
someone else will go in it.
I did that yesterday and some bloke in a silver facelift W210 got upset with me, sorry to whoever that was but I didn't fancy being stuck behind a truck for the rest of journey and you *initially* had a friendly face! I indicated for a few seconds before barging in, plenty of notice I thought :)

The original post said a guy tried to drive up the wrong side of the road and push in. Everybody closed ranks. Magnificent, the only spoiler was that there wasn't a police car to nick him.

But then there are complaints that when two lanes go to one, some nasty people nip up the outside. Well, whilst there are two lanes open, why shouldn't somebody use it? The highway code explicitly indicates that whilst two lanes are open, they are available for use. Action to merge should be taken when the arrows and signage indicate. Hence, some junctions now carry the "Merge in turn" sign at the pinch point.

I certainly hate the people who take it to the cones and shove in at the last minute (and who frequently are hammering down the outside lane at a dangerously fast speed) but it makes sense to interleave at the point where the second lane closes down, not further back: it is the most efficient method in terms of keeping traffic moving since only a single pinch point occurs where traffic must slow to permit merging. It is the people who drive half way along the open lane and then merge at some random point that cause a ripple of braking down the line of slow-moving traffic in the left-hand lane. Furthermore, the Institute of Advanced motorists suggest the "Merge at pinch point" approach.

And if we don't allow the ouside lane to be used (as some truckers and other self-appointed policemen try to enforce) how far back should we extend the no-go zone? 600 yards, 1 mile, 10 miles? Trucks deliberately straddling two lanes are the only ones breaking the highway code in these situations.

PS: I am not an aggressive driver and frequently join the left lane as a courtesy to other drivers because I know it winds people up to use the right-hand lane. It still doesn't make any sense to me, though.
Philip

Anyone know where I can get the James Bond machine Gun mod done on the car!

R2D2 said:
Anyone know where I can get the James Bond machine Gun mod done on the car!

Can't you buy things that make horrible noises when you get frustrated in the car eg 'gunfire' , 'explosions' , or 'diving spitfire + machine gun'> Somebody must make money selling these sorts of things, I think. I think a multi-function steering wheel 'mod' with a fire button would be nice!
Les

............how's the welding of my bonnet going Shude??;)

scotth_uk said:

I think you'll find that down south, London in particular people dont KNOW the rules of the road so are unable to respect them. Every time I'm on or inside the M25 it scares the life out of me, I think 1 in every 5 drivers got their licence with £1-99 and 3 cornflake packet tops. And I'm certain at least a quarter of all drivers down there never saw a driving lesson let alone a driving test

R2D2 said:
............how's the welding of my bonnet going Shude??;)
No pics of your car at the right angle! Please mail everything at the right angle to me!

Must say on my drive to Germany and back last weekend I was amazed at the lane discipline I saw on the motrway. Whether it be in France, Belgium or Germany After they had overtook they would be back in the inside lane. Back into the UK sunday night and round the M25 I sat tried overtaking thought f~@k this so I sat in the inside lane. at a constant speed and lost count of the cars I went passed. Unbeleivable!! :crazy: :rolleyes:

It's amazing, isn't it? Even in the four lane sections of the M25 people will actually sit in lane 3 thus leaving 2 clear lanes to their left.

When we only had three lanes I used to think that middle-lane hogs just didn't like being next to the hard shoulder but it is now clear that these people just like to be near the outside lane!

I can't wait till the new 5 lane section opens. I am betting myself that it will be filled with people plodding along with no less than three empty lanes to their left.

It is amazing to me that we would rather spend millions building a fifth lane on the M25 rather than use the matrix display signs to post a simple "Move over you selfish git!" message.

Another praise for our friends over the water. No overtaking by lorries between certain hours.

I just go passed them on the inside. Im not crossing 3 lanes of traffic to go round them so I just pip the horn and wave as I go up the inside. :devil:

Most then move over strangley :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom