Wandering thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like it in estate form better than hatchback and think the same goes for the Citroen C5.

The interior of the Superb looks..well..Superb..

Bugger. I have spent the last week convincing myself that the sensible and grown-up way to go is the saloony/hatchback one with the low emission 170bhp diesel.

If I went for the estate I would have to have the 3.2V6 Audi engine and 4x4 losing all the tax and fuel efficiency :(

If I went for the estate I would have to have the 3.2V6 Audi engine and 4x4 losing all the tax and fuel efficiency :(

Passat R36? You'd convince yourself with the residuals, get a PCP quote.

Why would you.? The addition of the greenhouse hardly makes any difference to performance and I think the 170 Bhp diesel will surprise you as it has bags of torque.
Interestingly the 2.0TDI 170 and the 3.6 petol both have exactly 258Nm of torque.

Just nail two 4 pot diesels together...

As an aside, have you tried a Superb diesel, if so how was it noise wise.? Strangely the Octavia seems to be noisier than the Old version Fabia.

A transverse engine will always transmit more noise due to requiring stiffer engine mounts due to the twisting motion and less space.

I saw an R36 estate on Saturday - very nice. Cheap PCP deals already?

Hmmn. Maybe. But with a Passat, surely you're just paying a premium for a car which is no better than the Skoda (apart from your mates don't laugh at you and it has better residuals)

Last edited:
Not sure about the residuals. Skoda used to be the best residual holders of all VAG products.

Just nail two 4 pot diesels together...

As an aside, have you tried a Superb diesel, if so how was it noise wise.? Strangely the Octavia seems to be noisier than the Old version Fabia.

A transverse engine will always transmit more noise due to requiring stiffer engine mounts due to the twisting motion and less space.

I didn't get to start it up but it is a new engine. The old Skoda engines are also available at launch - 2.0 TDi PD 140Bhp and VED E with auto. The new ones are more powerful with less emissions; on would hope (ha ha!) that the new engine would be more refined too.

The chap driving it round all the dealerships (one day at each place) said it was quiet and smooth - but he would, wouldn't he?

Hmmn. Maybe. But with a Passat, surely you're just paying a premium for a car which is no better than the Skoda (apart from your mates don't laugh at you and it has better residuals)

I enjoy avoiding having to hand over my hard earned almost as much as I enjoy fast cars, especially ones which look subtle on the outside.

It will be a good product regardless of which VW group badge the car shows on it's nose - so it makes sense to have the one that costs the least - all other things being equal.

Oh yeah, something else he was twittering on about was regarding some leap forward in gearbox technology; how small it was and how they managed to tuck it away somewhere to help everything do....something.

(Should have taken notes!)

It will be a good product regardless of which VW group badge the car shows on it's nose - so it makes sense to have the one that costs the least - all other things being equal.

Maybe I should have started a poll :)

Would you drive a Skoda if it exceeded your requirements for less than your budget or, not bl00dy likely!

I didn't get to start it up but it is a new engine. The old Skoda engines are also available at launch - 2.0 TDi PD 140Bhp and VED E with auto. The new ones are more powerful with less emissions; on would hope (ha ha!) that the new engine would be more refined too.

The chap driving it round all the dealerships (one day at each place) said it was quiet and smooth - but he would, wouldn't he?

As far as I know it's the same engine as fitted to the Octavia and Audi models.
All the 2.0 engines are common rail as opposed to Pumpe Duse which was what the 1.9 litre was.

As far as I know it's the same engine as fitted to the Octavia and Audi models.
True enough if the new CR engine has found a home in the Octavia, I know it has on the all new A4.

All the 2.0 engines are common rail as opposed to Pumpe Duse which was what the 1.9 litre was.

VAG brought out a common rail diesel with a 2.0 capacity very recently for their latest products, read new A4 etc. There was a 2.0 diesel of exactly the same power that was a Pumpe Duse. IIRC the out going Audi A4 2.0TDi was a PD engine, not a CR engine.

Maybe I should have started a poll :)

Would you drive a Skoda if it exceeded your requirements for less than your budget or, not bl00dy likely!

You could probably fill in the poll yourself, but in reality their products are very good, as long as that's the level of car you want and are happy with.

From my own experience of Fabia and Octavia I'd say they are comfortable, reliable, average handling and ride compared to an E class, a bit noisy, but in the sector better than some.
No different to an Audi or VW.
Reliability and dealers seem to be top notch.

True enough if the new CR engine has found a home in the Octavia, I know it has on the all new A4.

VAG brought out a common rail diesel with a 2.0 capacity very recently for their latest products, read new A4 etc. There was a 2.0 diesel of exactly the same power that was a Pumpe Duse. IIRC the out going Audi A4 2.0TDi was a PD engine, not a CR engine.

All correct apart from the 2.0 PD was 140bhp; the new CR 170bhp

(I only know because I have the brochure in front of me :) )

All correct apart from the 2.0 PD was 140bhp; the new CR 170bhp

(I only know because I have the brochure in front of me :) )

Both available as both..:p Or rather the 170 has been available for some time in the Octavia as the Vrs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom