Wandering thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8mate

So, with my '03 W220 S500L sold, I've been schlepping round the dealerships looking for my next carriage.

Have looked at just about every car that's worth looking at (and a fair few that aren't!) and I've come over all queasy.

Reason? I really rather like the new Skoda Superb (the one that comes out in September). Local dealer had one in for a day last week. Whilst, looks-wise, it is still an invisible car on the road, it has certainly taken cues from Audi in how to do 'quiet-presence' well. Not sitting on a borrowed VAG platform this time either - all its own car.
Inside, it is immaculately appointed, all mod-cons and then some and the rear legroom is bigger than it was in my LWB S-CLass!

This isn't at the expense of the boot space either, which is cavernous, and it has that very clever two button system which means it can be either an executive bootlid or a family hatchback, depending on what you want to chuck in. (or whose car park you're in!)

170bhp CR diesel with 6-speed DSG auto and it's only in VED band D! :eek: That's £145 pa.

Then, of course, there's the trade-off. On the on hand it's about half the price of an equivalently specified E-Class I looked at last weekend. On the other it means driving around with a Skoda badge on the front and the word 'Superb' on the back. That's a bitter pill.

Bl00dy good motor though!

[And no, if I buy a Skoda or any other make, I won't leave you all alone :D]

But you will have to change your Name though, perhaps something like Captain Superb:D

Nah, with a user name like that you have to get a C63.

Seriously, the superb will be a good car, but you'll find it a helluva a change from the S500L. Have you looked @ E classes yet, diesel and petrol. Try Audi's A6 too, its cavernous.

Just google imaged it, definately evidence of the VAG parts bin in the interior

Just google imaged it, definately evidence of the VAG parts bin in the interior

That's not, as it goes a bad thing though is it? Not the same as if they'd bought the remainder of the Vectra parts bin :)

Nah, with a user name like that you have to get a C63.

Seriously, the superb will be a good car, but you'll find it a helluva a change from the S500L. Have you looked @ E classes yet, diesel and petrol. Try Audi's A6 too, its cavernous.

My 'car of choice' would be an E63 estate. There are two sitting in dealers' forecourts within 30 minutes of my house. But at £55k and £67k respectively - that requires a hell of a lot of justification!

not at all, it comes down to personal taste, I like the W210 interior, I actually prefer it over my W220, I have just sold a R reg Audi and I wasnt that keen on the interior,

Perhaps I am a little long in the tooth, but I still cant help grouping Skodas in with Wartburgs, Moskvich and Yugos.

My 'car of choice' would be an E63 estate. There are two sitting in dealers' forecourts within 30 minutes of my house. But at £55k and £67k respectively - that requires a hell of a lot of justification!

Just wait a few years, then they will be about 1/4 that and ripe for easy pickings. What about an E55amg estate in the meantime, or audi's S4 or RS6 avant offerings.

Just wait a few years, then they will be about 1/4 that and ripe for easy pickings. What about an E55amg estate in the meantime, or audi's S4 or RS6 avant offerings.

I have to be careful what I turn up at a client's premises in. If I didn't I'd be dragging a VXR8 or somesuch around with me :D

What worries me if that I was delivering burgers/curries something like that they would never make the customers...

On the other it means driving around with a Skoda badge on the front and the word 'Superb' on the back. That's a bitter pill.

Bl00dy good motor though!

:D]
You can order it "de-badged" ... and then pretend some scroat has stolen the skoda badges....:D

If the estate looks like that then its a better looking car than the saloon and with all that space a really good buy.

I like it in estate form better than hatchback and think the same goes for the Citroen C5.

The interior of the Superb looks..well..Superb..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom