wanna be CLK Cabrio Owner Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kormakid

Car
renault
Hi all

im looking a getting a CLK Cabrio... and would like any advice you guys and dolls can give.

What to look for, what to avoid and what if any are the pitfalls of this motor.

Are there any know problems..... ect

Thank you in advance.
:bannana:

So thats the W209 shape... I had a 2005 model CLK55 Cab and although it was a lovely car, i personally think it was a "friday afternoon" car.. had quite a bit of problems with it.

All i can say is get the best possible for your budget with as many toys as possible. not sure what model your looking at but i'd steer towards the bigger engine models if you can afford to run them.

Cheers

I was seriously looking into getting one of these last year, but eventually opted for a coupe instead. Although the coupes come with diesel engines, these were not fitted on the cabs. That leaves you with either a 1.8 four cylinder, two v6s or a v8. Everyone advised me to avoid the 1.8, which is a bit underpowered for a car of this size, and not particularly economical either. I did not get round to trying a v8, because there are not that many of them around, so I was thinking of either a 2.8 or 3.5. Both are up to the job, and neither are very economical, so your best bet is to consider both variants and go for the best example within your budget. There is also a slightly earlier 3.2, which might have still been around in 2005. Much like the 2.8, but perhaps a bit thirstier.

If you can do without back seats altogether, why not consider an SLK? More fun to drive and folding hard top roof.;)

Hi,engine wise go for a v6(clk320)very smooth & more economical than a 280.Apart from the obvious checks(full service history/all mot's hpi clear etc)make sure the roof works without any problems & if the car you look at has more than about 50,000 check the autobox atf/filter have been changed(assuming you go for an auto).

is that an oil/fluid filter for the autobox, whats the average cost of getting this changed, and does it need changing every 50k of so.

Many thanks for all your advice.

cool Topgear with the Merc.... outa my price range though lol.

is that an oil/fluid filter for the autobox, whats the average cost of getting this changed, and does it need changing every 50k of so.

Indy should do that ATF and filter change at around £120 / £130 +vat

yeah every 50 or 60k miles would be ideal.

ive been told that the gear boxes only last about 50k and ive read there sealed for life,

im presuming changing the fluid and filters with eliminate the risk of a blown gearbox ( to a certain degree anyway)

am i best to go to a MB Stealer and get approved used for piece of mind, or are they a waste of time. how good is there after sales care. and the warranty is it worth the paper is written on.......

Whoever's told you that about the gearbox is getting confused I think. So far as I know auto boxes were packing up on some higher mileage units that previously had not had oil changes listed on the service schedule (130k plus miles). So MB began to include a service regime for the later W 209's. I think this calls up a change every 35,000 miles or thereabouts. Not sure without pulling all the service book out.

Dealer must be a good move. You read so much of scams everywhere. But dealers vary. Best ask on here for a good dealer in your area.

I have a diesel coupe so cannot comment on the cab. W209 Coupe is brilliant.

ok guys im looking around for a motor but as i cant reply to any ads of pm anyone yet has anyone got a motor for sale and if u can post a link with piccies and price ill have a look.

Whats the going price or has it gone ..........

Hiya bud...£7200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom