Wanted - an interesting toy for sub £2k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Watchcame430

MB Enthusiast
Car
Previous 1994 SL500, 2001 W210 E430 and 2003 Designo S500 Current 2005 S211 E270
Hi all,

I want a toy to polish, tinker with and play with - anything unusual, powerful, fun, different. High spec would be good as I love buttons.

Ideally only want to spend £2k as its a third car and just something to tinker with.

Runner or non runner (if price is right)

Doesn't need to be a Merc - anything considered.

Been looking at everything from MGB's to Bentleys, to Range Rovers.

Try me with any ideas. More money maybe available if it really pushes my buttons.

Thanks

MX5, value for money and smiles per mile is very hard to beat. £2k will get a nice MK1 or MK2 probably with change to spare. Very basic, easy to work on, and if you want to do more relatively easy to turbo/supercharge for a pocket rocket.

MX5, value for money and smiles per mile is very hard to beat. £2k will get a nice MK1 or MK2 probably with change to spare. Very basic, easy to work on, and if you want to do more relatively easy to turbo/supercharge for a pocket rocket.

Like your thinking - will have a hunt round ebay and have a look. Thanks!

Keep all suggestions coming - I need some inspiration!

Classic or modern considered. I really am open minded.

Last edited:
Caterham / Westfield?

TVR?

Good thoughts too - not looked at them as assuming they might be too pricey but will have a look.
Had seen a Tasmin cheap the other day, but was in a state - only a grand though.
Need a Boxster for a grand like Wheeler Dealers last night! (wouldn't want to have been that seller realising it only needed an oil change!)

Last edited:
buy an ALFA you'll spend your life tinkering.

You won't be able to polish a £2k MGB, your hand will go through. I know, I've owned one. For that price you'll need to be good on the tools, especially the welding kit. If you really want to go mad, try a Reliant Kitten, the engine is very susceptible to tuning, and you'll have lots of fun trying to keep it upright. These days you won't find one coming the other way, and nobody will know what it is.

buy an ALFA you'll spend your life tinkering.
I'd also say go for an alfa, not for the largely inacurate stereotype Geoff quotes but because the GTV is a good looking car with a truly great engine (if you get the V6)

You won't be able to polish a £2k MGB, your hand will go through. I know, I've owned one. For that price you'll need to be good on the tools, especially the welding kit. If you really want to go mad, try a Reliant Kitten, the engine is very susceptible to tuning, and you'll have lots of fun trying to keep it upright. These days you won't find one coming the other way, and nobody will know what it is.

Something like this didnt look too bad? But might be different in the flesh.

MGB GT, 1976, TARTAN RED, MOT 7/13 | eBay

I think the Kitten is too far out there for me! :)

Welding is out of my league - but can find someone to sort. Not adverse to a project.

Got my eye on a Merc Cosworth, but want it cheap so I can spend more on it.

Still considering anything - I like Alfas ... any suggestions for specific cars?

I'd also say go for an alfa, not for the largely inacurate stereotype Geoff quotes but because the GTV is a good looking car with a truly great engine (if you get the V6)

Thanks - will have a look!

There you go, 1400 quid and you can even drive with the bonnet open and it will look gorgeous!

Attachments

• mediaCAIO2MF8.jpg
    mediaCAIO2MF8.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 63
MX5
Fiat Coupe
Honda Prelude
Jaguar XJ
Fiat X1/9
Porsche 924/944
Saab 9-3 coupe
Alfa Romeo 145

There you go, 1400 quid and you can even drive with the bonnet open and it will look gorgeous!

Very nice! I have been looking - they are so cheap?!

I looked at the MGB ad. There is no side-on view so that you can look at the door fits, and see what has been done to the sills. Everything that he mentions as replaced during his ownership is to do with superficial points, the big question is how rotten is it along the quite complex sills, the rear spring mounts, and the inner panels under the front wings. If it hasn't been done, and done well, it will need to be done by now. The steel armature under the front bumper skin may well have rotted away leaving you with no front end protection against even the lightest bump.

However the big advantage of having a B as a plaything is that you can buy everything, even body panels, but you do have to watch the quality of some of the pattern parts, I remember buying some steering swivels for mine that lasted about 500 miles.

MX5
Fiat Coupe
Honda Prelude
Jaguar XJ
Fiat X1/9
Porsche 924/944
Saab 9-3 coupe
Alfa Romeo 145

Am keeping an eye out for an XJR and a Saab Turbo Cab already.
Had a couple of 944s - great cars - might consider spending on a turbo or cab.
Will look at the 145 - the others are not my thing.
Thanks for the ideas!

I looked at the MGB ad. There is no side-on view so that you can look at the door fits, and see what has been done to the sills. Everything that he mentions as replaced during his ownership is to do with superficial points, the big question is how rotten is it along the quite complex sills, the rear spring mounts, and the inner panels under the front wings. If it hasn't been done, and done well, it will need to be done by now. The steel armature under the front bumper skin may well have rotted away leaving you with no front end protection against even the lightest bump.

However the big advantage of having a B as a plaything is that you can buy everything, even body panels, but you do have to watch the quality of some of the pattern parts, I remember buying some steering swivels for mine that lasted about 500 miles.

Really good point - great ones go for a lot more money, so it would have been far from perfect I am sure.
I like the fact so much can be done to them and parts so cheap and easy to get hold of. Thanks for the tip on pattern parts!

Off subject - A silver DB5 just drove past my window - pretty rare to see?!

Honda Civic Type R on a 02/52 plate!

Honda Civic Type R on a 02/52 plate!

Nice car, but too normal if you know what I mean.
I have a GTI already anyway so a similar car as well.

Good thought though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom