Wanted: Car for 5-10k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonsMerc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Merc S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, Suzuki GSX-650F, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Dynamic
So, I've been looking around for a second car. I drive to work on and off, and now that we have three children (toddler and baby twins), we need a second car so I can leave the main one at home.

Ideally, I wouldn't spend over 5k, but will probably pay up to 10k if exactly the right car comes along. I want something with no more than 60000 miles on the dial, ideally half that. It has to have leather, and be nice :)

If I had more money, I'd be buying a 964 shap Porsche 911, or maybe even a 993 shape. As it is, we're moving house on Tuesday so I can't afford anything - but I need a new car now. If I could afford a cabriolet of some description I'd be over the moon, but a decent sporty car, or even a nice saloon, would be neat :)

So far looked at (all have leather and all the toys):

2000 Honda Accord SE Executive, 45k miles, 5k
2002 Mondeo Ghia-X, 55k miles, 5k
1998 BMW 328 coupe, 62k miles, 6.5k
1992 C280 Elegance Auto, 38k miles, 7k but no leather
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9855&item=4550336989&rd=1
2000 Hyundai Coupe, 45k miles, 5k
2000 Landrover Freelander, 47k miles, 6k but no leather

Would really appreciate your suggestions! Or if anyone is selling a nice well-maintained car in this price range, let me know :)

-simon

My car is for sale, much nicer than the C280 on ebay!! (well you did ask if anybody had a car for sale in that price range, it is probably one of the best maintained cars you will find too!)

Just a word of warning about the Freelander, I was looking at buying one last week, I know many people in the garage trade and everyone warned me against buying one, nothing but trouble.

Personally I am looking at Audi's, they seem very good value for a quality marque.

Yeah, I'd looked at your car, and it does look nice! But I don't really want another estate car - this is supposed to be fun for me, not a big family car! :)

I've heard good things about the freelanders, so you've worried me now...

-simon

Personally I would recommend extending your mileage limit on the cars that you are looking at. In the price bracket that you mention, I would say that overall conditon and service history would mean much more to me than a few numbers on a dashboard! On cars such as the Honda, the BMW and the Mercedes this would certainly not be of concern!

I'd be more wary of the reliability and running costs of some cars, and as Jimmy says, the Freelander isn't renowned for it's reliability!

Good luck with the search,

Will

For a sports Mercedes-Benz go for the C43 AMG, although you'd probably be pushed hard to find a low mileage example for under £10k. Ideally you could go for an Mercedes-Benz 500E, but again you'd have trouble finding a low miles example. I think your idea choice could be a Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG. They can be picked up for low prices, and are high-performace cars. The 3.6L AMG tuned engine pushes out approx 276BHP, it's a 24 Valve Inline 6 cylinder. 5.9Secs 0-60. I have never driven one, so I cant tell you what it's like sadly. See http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/c36amg.html for more details on the model. I would highly recommened the W124 E280/E320. These cars are great value for money and are built like tanks (I have a 1995 E280 and a 500E) and I can tell you W124 cars are one of the best built in the world. I bought mine at 29,000 Miles and I have driven up to 70,000miles with absolutely no problems. Regular oil change, filter change and car wash keeps her looking and performing at her best, and these cars are also fun to drive, although they are bigger than the C-Class body!

If you don't want a Benz, you can always look out for other marques, such as BMW, Audi or VW. Either would suit your needs, and possibly be a little more cost effective then a Mercedes. Always remember when looking at high-performace cars keep in mind Full Service History and look out for signs of accidents/HPI etc. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mo

P.S. I have heard nothing but problems with Freelanders!

if its as good as it looks in those piccies - that's a lovely example in pristine condition.

Doesn't look too bad to me! Grill the owner over the usual (how long has he owned it, where has it been serviced, how much service history, ask if it has any faults (will then give you leverage when you find a couple, to negotiate the price ;) )

Chatham is a bit far for me, but I am sure someone here may be nearer to help with a viewing?

Good Luck,

Will

That W124 looks good for the price. Ask about usual details and make sure that the Air Con is working and blows ice-cold. Also check the spare wheel well for any past damage and make sure all the original Mercedes-Benz tool kit/spare wheel are there. The interior looks very very clean, and the E220 should be easy enough to service on a regular basis. Good Luck.

Cheap to run, cheap to maintain, and more importantly traditional Merc build quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom