Wanted - Cheap diesel tow car <£2k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I'm looking for a cheap diesel tow car for less than £2k. Max tow weight of 1000kg is fine.

If you know of one in your area that you can personally recommend please let me know.

I'm near Banbury. I'm willing to travel, but ideally less than 50 miles.

Thanks.

Thank you very much to those who have helped me.

I now have a 2001 Saab 9-5 3.0TID estate parked on the driveway.

Here it is:

2001 3.0TiD. 144k, twin electric two bar, leather, duel climate, cruise control, new head gasket and timing belt, recon gearbox.

Having looked on Autotrader I maybe could have haggled another £100 off, but it was so close me and the seller seemed a genuine person it felt like the right deal.

I'm intrigued to see how the fuel (in)efficiency will be.

Does what it says on the tin....cheap, spacious, comfortable
P1080178.JPG

Not a bad interior for an old car.
P1080190.JPG

Loads of space for stuff
P1080194.JPG

That looks smart both because it's an estate and it's the model before Dame Edna was asked to style them.

Thanks. My budget always meant it was going to be a pre Dame Edna car. I think 2001 was also a facelift year, so I have that as an added bonus, not that I spot the differences.

I'm just happy I've phase 1 out of the way. Phase 2: kit car :)

interesting to see a manual gearbox with the 3.0 diesel. Not a combination seen that frequently.

Nice car

My brothers had a few Saabs his last an Aero Hot estate auto, very nice car and lots of extras (heated rear seats..).

His went through tyres and the parking sensors were pricey when they failed and the trip computer display played up (easy fix apprently) but a great car to drive and still looks sleek.

He could get 35mpg out of his so yours should be pretty good.

Yes that's true David. In fact the 3.0TiD only came with a manual gearbox.

From what I've read the GM auto box used in the petrols was not able to take the extra torque. This is further shown as the Aero auto is detuned for lower peak torque than the equivalent manual.

It suits me OK, as I've economy in mind more than refinement :) As it is I average 40mpg so far. I'm not sure I'd want it any lower than that.

Apart from a seized ARB bracket bolt it's been a good buy so far.

A210AMG: with some effort I might just make 45mpg over a full tank of diesel. But with a 700mile range it's almost inevitable I end up doing some town driving with ruins the economy.

Had a Saab, built to last, and last, and last.........one of the few cars I missed when sold. Looks the dogs dangly bits.

Sadly it looks I've bought a duff one.

I still have a small drip of clutch fluid coming from the slave cylinder I believe.
More recently I also have acceleration hesitation issue with fault codes showing EGR value and a glow plug needs replacing.

Oh well. Fun whilst it lasted. Time for something else..........

Many thanks for the links. I live near Banbury and ideally would like the car to be <50 miles away.

I'd still like an estate car with a towbar but it doesn't necessarily have to be as large as the 9-5 was.

Maybe something like:

2003 Skoda Fabia 1.4L TDI PD Comfort 5dr Diesel Estate

If you really fancy a Fabia, go for the 1.9 litre lump, more power, more torque and so returns good economy as well as half decent performance from the 100Bhp tdi.

Obviously a bit slow for Mrs Dm though...

Alternatively why not look at Octavia?

Edit: eBay decided I meant Barnsley. Searching again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom