Wanted - Cheap laptop with serial port

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Watchcame430

MB Enthusiast
Car
Previous 1994 SL500, 2001 W210 E430 and 2003 Designo S500 Current 2005 S211 E270
Hi All,

Anyone got a cheap laptop with serial port and XP?

Need one to run carsoft - dont mind if it is marked etc.

Cheap is key! it will not be getting much use!

Thanks

If you're stuck you could get a serial to usb adapter and run xp virtualy.

Great tip, thanks for that - will have a look at that. cheers!

Loads on that well known auction site at <£50 :thumb:

I know, but thought a forum member might want to off load one. Rather support the forum than Ebay if you know what i mean.
However there has been a development - i am sat at work looking at my work laptop and surprisingly it has a serial port! :bannana:

So problem solved, thanks chaps.

I would try some of the companies that sell refurbished business laptops. They tend to come with a warranty. Lots of stuff on Ebay but quite often they are units that have niggling intermittent faults that are impossible to track down [ quite often related to the display or its cable] where it goes through the hinge area. The parts to sort it are often quite cheap but they are not easy to get into/sort for the inexperienced compared to a desk top.

oops too late :eek:

hi i have a old IBM Think Pad 600E you can have £30inc P&P i put windows xp on i used to use to for updating my sat box cos it has rs232 port

hi i have a old IBM Think Pad 600E you can have £30inc P&P i put windows xp on i used to use to for updating my sat box cos it has rs232 port

I would love it please! Saves me taking my work one out there and dropping it! - will drop you a PM
Cheers

I've been looking for one too.
Bought a Carsoft kit a while ago thinking I had a serial port on a old laptop only to find I didn't.
The Usb adaptors don't work with these kits so it has to be on the board or on a propper card.
So if anyone else has something liying about for about £30+p&p
Please

I have an ex school IBM Thinkpad I series doing nothing. Took it off the shelf and plugged in in and the battery charged and it booted into Win2K fine. Has a serial port (COM1) and is in very good condition. The only thing not working is the little red track button controls so has a PS2 optical mouse plugged in. Has all the orignal books and disks with it. Even has Office 2K installed!
Carsoft works fine with Win2K, I had an IBM Thinkpad 600E with Win2K running Carsoft before I purchased the "official" kit which was installed on an Acer.
No good for games or Photoshop however.
PM me if interested
Richard

Last edited:
Might be good for stevenn but I am all sorted now thanks. Loving this forum!!

Hi All - hunt is on again for an old working laptop with serial port + XP if you have anything out there?
Cheers

I have replied :cool:

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom