Wanted: cheap LHD car

Discussion in 'Classifieds - Wanted' started by Spinal, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Howdy!

So all my thoughts of getting a landie or a W140 have been put on hold... I'm looking for something a bit more budget... These are the rules the car needs to comply with:

Now... rules are made to be broken (or at least flexed) hence, I'm thinking... £100+£15 for the car (£115) per seat, so around £575 (5x(£100+£15)) for the car (I would prefer not to die in the deset, it really would ruin my trip)

I'm not planning to do it this Christmas, but next Christmas - so the car would need to pass at least one more MOT... but as I'm in no rush, I'm thinking it might be a few months before I find something suitable, so buying something in December with a fresh MOT may be ideal... (but if I find the perfect car now, I wont say no!)

So this is more of a heads up really, if you see a cheap, LHD car on a newspaper (preferrably with some form of history) drop me a line, I'll really appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Michele

2. Mark300SL

Mark300SL 1962-2010. Gone, but not forgotten.

I know of a LHD 88 E reg US spec CRX in/close to Staines - nice and close to you!
    Needs work but being a Honda will likely be reliable if cambelt is done - poor body so is going to be cheap

I have a whole load of spares as well ;)

3. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Get an estate car, you WILL need the additonal space as you will effectively be living in the car for two weeks.
    Five people in the car is too many.

Don't get anything fancy, just durable. Remember it has to cross desert and be fixable by you at the roadside.

4. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    There wont be 5 people in the car, I'm just counting seats to bend the rules a bit :p

Mark: I'm not great with engines, I'm looking for something that will run from the outself (i.e. I can bring it to a mecchanic, get him to look it over and just drive it down... hoping nothing goes wrong :p). Also, I was thinking about something bigger than a CRX - my tent alone fills a boot :p Thanks for the offer though!

5. Frank O' Phile

Frank O' Phile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    gone
    Get a Volvo 740 estate. Cant recommended them highly enough. Huge, reliable and not too heavy on the fuel.

I found mine in a field in France for 220 euro (£150 back then), and runs like a dream.

6. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LHD-RENAULT-2...rms=39:1|66:2|65:2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

7. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    Nick; I'm looking for something precisely like that, but to be frank I have no clue as to the implications of buying a french registered car...

Is there anything I need to be aware of? Do I need to bring it back to France to do the CT/MOT? If it turns out to be a dodgy car, whats the risk I run when I drive it through France on my way to the desert?

Thanks!
    Michele

8. Chattonmill

Chattonmill Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E55 AMG
    With That crack on the windscreen it would not pass an MOT so more cost there.
    You would have to register it somewhere, and if you dont have a residence in France that becomes very difficult!(Speaking from experience) Then there is the CT and the Registration costs(The number plate gets changed on transfer of ownership) you have to attend the Hotel de Ville to re register, then do the CT then get the new plates, the insure......
    there will be some around, it's just a case of looking.
    I think the organisers will want to see a bill of sale to verify the purchase cost, and as it says £100 per car I think they would disqualify you straight away!

9. Chattonmill

Chattonmill Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E55 AMG
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-NISSAN-PRIMERA-2-0-D-LX-Diesel_W0QQitemZ320283572360QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320283572360&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

10. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    I had a chat with them, they are quite a friendly bunch... they said that there is one further "unspoken" rule... anyone who follows all the rules is insane! At the end of the day, it's a charity thing - so the more the car is worth to start with, the better when it gets auctioned off for charity :)

Thanks for the link - but that looks like a RHD to me... and as flexible as the organisers may be, I'm fairly sure that in Gambia I'll have trouble with a RHD car (been there, done that)...

Michele

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  11. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
    Is this for the Mongol rally Michele ?

A mate and I looked into doing this a couple of years back , and the short list we came up with was :-

Mk1 VW Golf 1.1 with a roof rack ( for spare tyres/wheels )

Old shape Honda Civic ( we would have been penalised heavily because the smallest one they do is 1.3L ) also , it is complicated to work on.

Bedford Rascal ( you can push it on its side on a bank to work on :eek: ) , you can sleep in it , it is easy to work on , you can carry loads of spares inside it , it has a long 5th gear and will cruise effortlessly at 70mph , it is 1.0L ( so fitted the rules perfectly ) , is pretty fuel efficient , etc etc

In the end we decided on a Rascal and found one for £100 , but in then end we never went through with it , work got in the way.

The Mongol Rally used to specify that the cars had to be donated to local people at the end of the rally , which was largely irrelevant as they were pretty much Donald when they got there .

12. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Sounds like the Plymouth to Banjul run to me.

13. Mark300SL

Mark300SL 1962-2010. Gone, but not forgotten.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-924-L...rms=39:1|66:2|65:2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

LHD 924
    Pretty reliable, mainly VW parts, cheap enough, LHD - even has MOT till next year if you can sort the electrical issues out

And FWIW I would definately take the CRX - It will get there (and would get back if required)
    there are very very few issues with these and cambelt/distributor and a single relay is all you really need

14. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Car:
    Nope - tis the Plymouth-Banjul as DM mentions.

I'm curious about the bedford rascal... I'll need to see if I can find one!

As for the porsche, I don't think I want to be having electrical problems in the middle of the desert!!! A broken axle, maybe... an electrical fault... no way!

Michele

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  15. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Register in in England?

Finding a cheap LHD car in the UK is not going to be easy, with a healthy export market and high scrap prices the days of super cheap bangers are over...