wanted digital camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Usuf_x

Car
E240 Avantagarde Estate
going on holiday soon so looking to buy a digital camera and wanted to know if anyone has one going I'm after a one that takes excellent pictures with little effort, not sure on price I guess it would depend on make model/spec. I have been told the lumix range are very good, oh and it needs to be pocket size something i can carry around with easy so no like SLR

We have a Lumix.

Can't fault it.

To be honest, the prices are so keen nowadays that I'd suggest going for a new one with warranty. Any used ones you buy are likely to be older ones where someone wants to buy a better model and given that you are going to Washington you want the best memories you can get

Just my opinion!

I bought one of these two weeks ago for £60 but I notice that Amazon has now put the price of these back up to £95 (but £77 for the silver version):

Samsung ST60 Digital Camera - Black 2.7 inch TFT: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I think this is a great holiday camera. Decent images, easy to use and extremely small.

As above, however, the Lumix and Exilim ranges are both great value for money.

Try:

Panasonic Lumix FS11 Digital Camera - Black 2.7 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

or

Casio Exilim EX-H5 Digital Camera - Black 2.7 inch LCD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm not sure about your budget but these, in my humble opinion, are great value sub-£100 cameras.

i have a leica d-lux 3.
very nice; basicaly a lumix in coat and tails...
would recommend the canon range of compacts too- good snaps and very compact, unlike my leica.

one of the new compacts has a wide angle lens feature as well... could be handy especially for touristy snaps

Lumix fan here, although we have an olympus as well. Of the pocket sized ones the Olympus provides the best out-of-camera results, a bit over saturated but bright, sharp and consistent. None of the Lumix are great in low light (except the G2 but the Metz flash and F1.7 lens helps...)

wow some great response... thanks

i was also advised to buy from there too, so may keep that in mind... so the lumix is the most popular choice from what I have heard

I've recently bought two cameras. The Lumix FZ-100 is a great camera with an amazing zoom of 24x. I've been able to read rego labels off boats at 200m range! It has a leica lense which I'm told is meant to be a very good thing (I'm not a camera buff). I bought this one mostly to take to car shows, etc.

I also bought a little Sony DSC W510. It has a panorama function where you simply press the button and sweep it to the right and it takes an image of the whole landscape. I bought this when I went on holidays in January and it did the job. It's pocket sized but still has 14megapixels.

For the record, I'm happy with both cameras, however the Lumix definitely takes better pix than the little Sony. Of course, this is not apples to apples. The Lumix model that I bought cost three or four times more than the Sony, so I can hardly compare them to each other.

rascalmaster said:
i have a leica d-lux 3.
very nice; basicaly a lumix in coat and tails...
would recommend the canon range of compacts too- good snaps and very compact, unlike my leica.

Leica lens pics...

Attachments

• image-1782086119.jpg
    image-1782086119.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image-1096294679.jpg
    image-1096294679.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image-1142835245.jpg
    image-1142835245.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 36
Interesting talking with the gents I bought my camera from they reckon that Leica's lens know-how is responsible for Panasonic's popularity - from the compacts to the interchangeable lens cameras they've brilliantly sharp images by getting the optics right, the electronics tend to be more "mild" so there's less artificial sharpening and enhancement.

Problem with that is it won't make a poorly shot image look acceptable- something they've fixed with the intelligent auto mode on the newer Lumix cameras, which does more in camera processing.

If you're willing to learn about focus and composition a Lumix will make you very very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom