Wanted for Vito 122 Compact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
It was all too late when I found out but having got my Compact home and found it didn't even come with a wheel brace, never mind a spare wheel and jack. I didn't even think to ask if it did because the loaner I had one………how stupid did I feel?
Having tried to have me sign for my new van with stone chips on the bonnet….. yes, you read correctly, the dealer is supposedly trying to locate a jack, brace etc to try and make amends, I suppose but I'm not holding my breath.
Anyway, these I can get but I am having trouble finding an alloy wheel (pictured) that is in good condition…….can't really spring £350 for new wheel and tyre.
Can anyone recommend a decent breaker in the South Essex or East London area?
It has to be an alloy because one of the fun things I will be doing with the van will be driving to and from Cyprus. There are lots places on the way (done this trip before in a Saab) that I would not want to be forced to try and locate another tyre or use a space saver that limits speed etc.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It has to be an alloy because one of the fun things I will be doing with the van will be driving to and from Cyprus. There are lots places on the way (done this trip before in a Saab) that I would not want to be forced to try and locate another tyre or use a space saver that limits speed etc.

It doesn't have to be an alloy - the factory spare is a 16" steel wheel. No speed restriction with this ... it isn't a space saver. Assuming yours are the standard 17" 6-spoke alloys (same as I have), a new rim is around £220 (plus tyre, obviously). They do come up on eBay from time to time as well.

The Compact Vito doesn't have enough space behind the back axle for an under-slung spare wheel carrier. The basic van has the spare hung on a bracket inside, but if you have the 'comfort pack' (interior lining) this is deleted and you just get a puncture repair kit. This is one of the reasons why I went for the 'Long' (which is only slightly bigger).

Thanks for that. Worth looking at. I do have the 17" alloys, the same as in the picture, standard on the Sport.
I don't suppose you know the tyre size to go with that? I assume that the tyre will be a taller section than fitted to the alloy to make up the difference between wheel sizes?
I have to admit that I had other considerations (the wife will need to be able to drive it) so didn't have much choice but to go for the Compact.

Last edited:
My wife also drives our Vito Long, probably more than I do. No problems at all, although Parktronic is certainly a big help in car parks etc.

Yes the tyre size is different on the 16" rim, the overall diameter (and therefore rolling radius) has to be the same. Don't know the size offhand ... it may be mentioned in your handbook. If you get really stuck I'll crawl under mine with a torch and have a look :D

Thanks for the offer and for your help. I am sure the sizing is the handbook. Looks like a steel wheel will be the way to go.
Mine has Parktronic too but much beloved is not a confident driver (despite having a Saab estate longer than the van) but I suppose she is wary because of the fact it is unknown territory for her. Regardless, too late now; I will have the make the best of the situation.

Not sure I understand this, you have a new 122 compact and would like a spare wheel?
So i take it it's got the plastic lining in the rear? if so then no jack or wheel is fitted, you should have a can of tyre weld in the of side rear.
If its a van then it has a wheel mount on the rear near side rear arch and the jack is on the drivers side rear quarter.
As for a wheel just buy a new alloy and tyre so there all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom