Wanted Mercedes Benz W201 190E 2.0l Manual

Discussion in 'Classifieds - Wanted' started by Hamish767, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Hamish767

Hamish767 New Member

Hi
    I'm 19 years old and am looking to buy my first car, I had hoped to take my Dad's 190E in perfect condition as my first car but sadly he gave it away. I've been driving for a year now in his E300D but because of an accident, which was not my fault the insurance company had decided to increase the premium anyway.
    I have been looking at all the usual first time cars for a guy of my age but it seems ridiculous to buy a car and still spend the same amount on insurance as something like a 190E. Therefore I'd be much appreciated if any would point me in the direction of where I could find a 190E (not carburettor version) 2.0l Manual. (there seem to be too many autos on the market and i'd really love to drive a manual).
    Thanks
    Harshil

2. ss201

ss201 Active Member

Car:
    190E 2.6 Sportline, W203 320 CDi SE Estate
    There's a very good reason why most W201s have auto gearboxes - they are superb and make for a very relaxed driving experience. As you live in London with all that slow-moving traffic, an auto box makes a lot more sense than a manual, especially as it's easy to over-ride the auto by snicking the gear lever back and forth should you need to. Good luck with your search.

1 person likes this.
  3. neilrr

neilrr MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various.
    ss201 speaks the truth.

I wouldn't buy a non 16v 190 of any engine size with a manual gearbox. It's a much better car with an auto, especially if you are in London traffic.

Have you tried one?

2 people like this.
  4. d w124

d w124 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
  5. Will

Will Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    +1 on the above.

A manual gearbox will spoil the experience of these fantastic cars, IMHO there's no real benefit of a manual gearbox in a relatively sedate 190E 2.0 :)

Not to mention that as most of these cars are autos, you'll be ruling out most of the cars on the market if you only consider manuals ;)

Don't totally rule out a 1.8 injection either as there's really nothing much to distinguish between the two.

Will

6. OP
    OP
    Hamish767

Hamish767 New Member

Thanks guys for all of the above. It's really not the car I drive mainly how much the insurance costs. Especially as I'm 19 you can imagine what insurance is going to be like in my own name (well in to the thousands) :S. The 190E 2.0l is actually cheaper to insure than the 1.8 and the mercs are cheaper to insure than something like a golf which I find very confusing. I really wanted a manual because I haven't driven one since I passed my test and recently went on a test drive and found I was appalling and I know that that mercedes have fantastic auto boxes but I really would like to be able to drive a manual again.

Thanks

7. jasonyw

jasonyw Banned

I thought you wanted a repair manual.