Wanted - packet of silicon beads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Wanted - packet of silicon beads, the small packets that you get free with electrical goods to absorb moisture.

I've a headlight that mists up because of moisture and I've heard placing a small packet of silicon beads inside can help. The seals look OK, so this seems a cheaper fix than a new headlight.

Happy to pay P&P of course.

Thanks.

put the car in the garage, take the back off the light, and dry it thoroughly using a hairdryer through the bulb change aperture, also warm the front (outside) with the dryer.
get the back on quick while its warm. leve it in the garage overnight.
worked several times for me.

Thanks for the correction and the link.

£20 is £19.99 more than I was hoping to spend :) especially as I've thrown away 100+ over the years.

put the car in the garage, take the back off the light, and dry it thoroughly using a hairdryer through the bulb change aperture, also warm the front (outside) with the dryer.
get the back on quick while its warm. leve it in the garage overnight.
worked several times for me.

I've taken the headlight off once and put over a radiator. It dried well overnight, but within a few days it was back to where it was. I might try once more though, just to be sure. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction and the link.

£20 is £19.99 more than I was hoping to spend :) especially as I've thrown away 100+ over the years.

I've taken the headlight off once and put over a radiator. It dried well overnight, but within a few days it was back to where it was. I might try once more though, just to be sure. Thanks

You sure the seals are ok?

You sure the seals are ok?

Only really gave them and the backing plate the once over for major faults. But clearly something is not right. Sadly it seems quite common on Audi A2s.

This is where the silicon comes in! Dry the lamp unit out as above and then reseal with the silicon.

Or, if the possibility's there, introduce some permanent ventilation to the housing. Even a couple of small holes drilled top and bottom. As long as they're clear of water ingress.

:) I didn't think you might be spending £20. The link was for illustration. ;)

Bought any new shoes lately? They often have the silica gel in the boxes.

Your local computer or electrical store will have plenty of silica gel sachets that are surplus to requiremients - for free. :thumb:

Silica gel is poisonous by the way. :)

Bought any new shoes lately? They often have the silica gel in the boxes.

I kid you not, that was the thought my wife had, but twisted slightly, she wanted to buy another new pair of shoes today....just to help you understand :)

Send me your address by PM, I'll put a packet in the mail for you next time I'm in the office (sometime this week).

They'll be big packets, not the usual dinky ones you find in shoes... but it'll work ;)

M.

Send me your address by PM, I'll put a packet in the mail for you next time I'm in the office (sometime this week).

They'll be big packets, not the usual dinky ones you find in shoes... but it'll work ;)

M.

Thank you very much, that's kind of you :)

Next question: should/can I microwave the packet to dry them out?

Last edited:
Don't micorwave it as they'll lose some of their absorbing qualities if you do. Just leave it at warm room temperature for a whole day and it'll be ready to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom