Wanted - S320 (W140) info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc

Car
1991 Mercedes 500SEL
Any online galleries etc where I can learn about this car?

Just curious as to the options to look out for when looking to buy and also wondering what sort of interior to expect (ie when did they change if at all during the production run).

Many thanks for any help.

There was a change when the W140 went from being badged ***Sel or SEL to just being S***.

I believe around '97 there were more changes including the introduction of Door Airbags, Rain sensing Wipers, a change to the remote alarm system & Fob, remote boot release, climate control etc, move to a 5 speed auto box,

Regarding options worth having:

Folding wing mirrors are a must, the W140 is a big beast and width restrictions can be fun otherwise.

Climate control: though this may be standard.

Leather: I believe some have cloth, best avoided.

Electric seats and steering column: If you can find with memory thats worth having as is the elec steering col. Not all ec seats have mem functions.

Alloys: Some didnt have these. The earlier cars had the MB 8 Hole design were as later cars have either 6 or 15 hole designs.

Earlier cars had revesing poles wheras later cars have partronic as an option. If you can get it parktronic is a must.

My favourite option though fairly pointless are the self closing doors.

Other options available are things like rear climate control, zenons, sat nav

Beware the automatic door closing systems - when they break they are expensive to repair.

Great stuff, many thanks for the assistance!

The one I am looking at has the white indicators at the front (seen a pic, not the actual car yet).

Also has the 8-hole alloys.

No mention of parktronic or self-closing doors.

Leather, air con/climate cont yes.

Having just had heated seats in my 500SEL I've been told by the family "don't care what it's like as long as it has heated seats"! :)

Forgot those. Heated seats are very nice, Dad has them in his car but for some inane reason they guy that originally speced my SL decided he could do without them. Very odd since he went for virtually every other extra including Zenons and Bose.

S320

Marc

The S class changed from SEL to S in 1994 when the shape changed. There are many options to look out for and there are two wheelbases the standard SWB and the Limo LWB. The Limo's rear doors are 6 inches longer. The diffrence is not easily noticeable as the cars are no longer badged SE for SWB and SEL for LWB. They are all badged S...

I have a 1997 P reg S320 Limo for sale at present. The car is the facelift model with the clear indicators on the front and back. It is Azurite metallic blue with tan leather. The car has electric memory front seats, electric back seats. Heated front and rear seats. Climate Control. 5 Speed auto gearbox. Independent rear air conditioner. Rear vanity mirrors. Sunroof. Folding mirrors. Privacy windows. Double glazing. Polished chrome 16" 8 hole alloys. Wash Wipes. The car has covered 79k with FMBSH. The last service was done at 78k. The car is immaculate and drive's excellent. If you are interested drop me an email at [email protected], where we can exchange further info.

Regards

Ditto all that has been said so far ... I have a 1996 S500 with most of the gizmos on board ...

Watch our for ex-chauffeur cars - these have sky high mileages [and the W140 wears them well] ... Parktronic, leather, aircon, metallic paint and alloys are minimum levels of fittings, electric memory seats are great as well, orthopaedic seats excellent if you have long distance driving in mind

Running costs are expensive - control modules average £600 a piece, and an average S Class has about 60 of these depending on trim level ...

Ditto comments on comfort close - vaccum pump is £600 a throw

Looking to spend about £5500 and seen a few (started ringing round and will look at a few this week).

I think a warranty at £550 a year sounds like a clever idea for this car, I could save that on one module!

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you informed on my progress!

PS - anyone want a 1991 500SEL in great condition apart from the damage caused buy a timing chain slip? No sensible offer rejected!

marc said:
Looking to spend about £5500 and seen a few (started ringing round and will look at a few this week).

I think a warranty at £550 a year sounds like a clever idea for this car, I could save that on one module!

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you informed on my progress!

PS - anyone want a 1991 500SEL in great condition apart from the damage caused buy a timing chain slip? No sensible offer rejected!

hi just wondered where you go for a waranty

I have a warranty from the AA, they have been very good so far (Touch Wood). They also prefer to have any work done at the Main Dealers which i find good.

just looked through some. there cut off milage is 100,000 miles . i have 100800 miles! bummer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom