Wanted - SL500 / 500SL R129 - approx £6000 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

I'm currently searching for an SL and thought I would ask on here. I don't want to buy one and then have one of you say "oh...I'm selling mine and it's amazing, you should have said"

So...I have a budget of up to approx £6000 and I'm looking ideally for a 500, although a 320 if it's the right one.

Full service history, excellent condition, etc, etc. Age isn't a major concern. If it's a 320, then a later post 96 model would be better due to wiring loom issues.

My question is.....will I be disappointed with a 320? From what i've read, the mpg is not a great deal different from a 500, but the performance is. I don't want to be forever wishing I'd got the 500.

Let me know if you have one or know of one going.

Thanks

Ian

I’d be persuaded to part with mine, but the price would have to be £6500 – NO OFFERS or haggling.

Details as follows:
SL500 – 1994 M Reg, approx 82,000 miles.
The car is brilliant silver, with FULL black leather throughout. Full leather means, exclusive anthracite leather, even the dash, A pillars, roll over bar, hood cover, centre console, door cards sun visors etc. This was an expensive factory option.
Matching hard top, and the wind deflector for roof down motoring.
After market stereo, with extra discrete speakers, amp, cross over network, and Alpine CD player with a proper Ipod connection tucked out of the way. The amp and cross over are all neatly hidden.
Stainless steel exhaust with lifetime guarantee – not too loud, but the V8 does sound lovely. Fitted 12 months ago. This is a custom made exhaust, and not any cheap SS model.
AMG II split rims alloy wheels. These are absolutely gorgeous, but on closer inspection they do need a refurb – this is reflected in the price. These alloys alone cost £1200 each apparently.
The car had an extensive service, then MOT in Feb 2011. Brake fluid, coolant, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter etc etc all changed with genuine Merc parts. I also replaced one of the front fog lamps due to a small crack from a stone chip. I also had the front bumper resprayed as it was looking too chipped for my liking.
The steering wheel is also an optional extra, and matches the veneered centre console. Very nice option, which apparently cost in the region of £700 when new.
Brand new bosch battery with 5 year warranty – extra heavy duty.
Obviously has electric memory heated seats. Cruise control, auto dimming electric memory mirrors, electric memory steering wheel etc
Everything works on this car exactly as it should with the exception of the electric aerial. This is a common problem, and is easily sorted. However, I never listen to the radio, so it does not bother me.
The car has recently been extensively detailed, and the paint work is gleaming with very few scratches on the clear coat. No swirls or marring. The bodywork has one very minor (1 inch) scratch on the bonnet, and about 3 or 4 minor stone chips on the rest of the body. The plastic rear windows on the soft top have no scratches or clouding. They are beautifully clear.
You have probably guessed that this car is bit of a garage queen, and never comes out when it’s raining. Myself and the previous owner only use the car as a weekend toy on fine days.
From new this car cost £84000, and obviously has a full history. It has spent most of its life on private plates. Car located in Norfolk. I have owned the car for one year, and purchased it after a very long search for the right SL500. This is not a forced sale, but I fancy a change for another German marque. Suffice to say the car is gorgeous……..

2 new front tyres and genuine Mercedes front mats

Thanks for the info..I'm interested in taking a look. I'm currently in SE Asia and back on the 23rd July. I'd like to take a look when I return. Any chance you could email me some pics of the current car?

Email address is [email protected]

Thanks

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom