WANTED: W639 upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcyb

Car
ML 270 CDI
Can people please assist me with finding some upgrades for my recently purchased W639

I have a 54 plate 109CDi for which i would like to get:-

Mercedes Alloys (only Vito or Viano standard fit due to fussy insurance company)

Upgraded audio system (currently an Audio 10 system id love a Comand system though the budget might not stretch)

Better speakers (preferably standard fit or those i can straight swap as im not a fan of garish sub boxes and aftermarket speakers poking out) Currently there are only front speakers as this is a Vito Dualiner would like to get some rear speakers too but hopefully better than the basic ones in the front

Rear trim plastics (basically everything from side doors back to trim the vehicle, I bellieve this was available as a comfort pack on the vehicle orignially though how do I go about buying it now?

Either an additional bench seat or two individual passenger seats which fit on the factory mercedes fixing system

Chrome side steps and Chrome a-bar ( it is an XLong so having difficulty sourcing decent steps

Open to other options which members may feel would complement the car

Thanks

Contact Shude for Command and Bose speaker set up as he has some for sale out of his written off 230k

Chromed (silver) indicator bulbs front & rear are a must, with the Vito's clear lenses.

The stainless steel sill plates are nice

vito-06.jpg

vito-07.jpg

Chrome grille is a simple & cheap mod

banner.jpg

Chrome rear numberplate light cover (I have also de-badged mine)

vito-17.jpg

Which rear seats are you talking about ... 2nd row or 3rd? This is the 2nd row in mine (a 2 plus a 1 ... removed in this pic), do you have the floor fixings?

vito-05.jpg

The 17" alloys are a factory option and reasonably easy to find

vito-16.jpg

Colour-coded bumpers and side mouldings look good but would be an expensive retro-fit.

You can get trim pieces to cover the paintwork between the front & rear door windows.

All of the above are proper M-B parts. There's an M-B commercial dealer with an eBay shop - I've bought lots from them ... they are very helpful:

eBay.co.uk Shop: Search results for Mercedes.

BTB 500 I really like some of the mods on your vito. Im after the two seat 2nd row either together like your picture shows or two individual seats. i have a 3 seat bench which i can move into the back. There are factory fixings in the floor for this but none of the trim plastics. I would like to get either the same alloys as yours shows or the standard 16s which are an optioon on the Viano traveliner. Would you suggest upping to 17s does it help any with economy on long runs? I will be driving to Poland at least twice a year to see partners family with it. Also what are your thoughts about retro-fitting cruise to this vehicle? is it more straightforward than some of the posts i have been reading and is it relatively low cost?

Apologies if i seem a little ignorant but how do i contact shude regarding the audio equipment? I cant seem to be able to send pms, though im guessing this is due to my low number of postings

Thanks for all the help so far guys, really grateful

BTB 500 I really like some of the mods on your vito. Im after the two seat 2nd row either together like your picture shows or two individual seats. i have a 3 seat bench which i can move into the back. There are factory fixings in the floor for this but none of the trim plastics. I would like to get either the same alloys as yours shows or the standard 16s which are an optioon on the Viano traveliner. Would you suggest upping to 17s does it help any with economy on long runs? I will be driving to Poland at least twice a year to see partners family with it. Also what are your thoughts about retro-fitting cruise to this vehicle? is it more straightforward than some of the posts i have been reading and is it relatively low cost?

Apologies if i seem a little ignorant but how do i contact shude regarding the audio equipment? I cant seem to be able to send pms, though im guessing this is due to my low number of postings

Thanks for all the help so far guys, really grateful

You need 30 posts before you can send PMs.

Cruise control is a very easy retrofit ... mine had it anyway, but I got a mailshot from the supplying dealer saying they would fit for something like £120 IIRC. Possibly that was a special offer, but it's not a big job. Cruise is great - my wife is German and we go over to her parents near Stuttgart at least once a year.

I don't think the wheel size affects the economy much. We can just reach 30 mpg on a long motorway run ... but then you don't buy a 3 litre V6 with auto gearbox for fuel saving reasons! I want to change the wheels on mine to 17" AMGs, but I need to sort out an insurer first. As you have found out, with vans they seem pretty sensitive to any kind of modifications.

The Dualiner Comfort pack includes the side and roof trim panels in the back, which includes the rear speakers. You might be able to order this lot from a dealer but your best bet would be a breakers I'd have thought.

Ditto for the seats as they'd probably cost a bomb from a dealer (but you could ask - some van bits are surprisingly cheap). Our rear seats are the 'comfort' ones, which are well worth it if you can find them. They are a 2 seat plus a 1 seat, both lift out and also fold/flip MPV style. There are 3 seperate back rests, which recline individually, and arm rests on the outer seats. We run it normally with just the 2 seat unit in the back. We have 3 in the front, so can carry 5 that way.

Re. cruise control, this is one main dealer retrofit offer:

Vito Cruise Control Offer

It's not a complex job and others might well do it cheaper (not necessarily OEM parts though).

Right....

Been in to see stealer today. Im awaiting a pricing for "new" seats either two singles or a double for the middle row. Im trying to use a little influence that a family friend possesses, after having a 15 year relationship with the dealer i hope they do good discount....

On the other hand this weekend will be spent contacting breakers around the northwest to try to source the items plus comfort pack trim.

Could someone do me a huge favour and pm shude as i dont know how to go about contacting him re: the bose system from his c230k and if there is a spare comand unit lurking somewhere in the background. Would like to know if the retrofit of the bose system will be relatively straight forward for the vito, plus the comand if anyone can assist??

Also BTB 500 if you decide to change to amg wheels would you be interested in selling me your current wheels? Im happy to collect and in no rush as currently the tyres are ok and I cant remortgage the house to pay for everything at once.... or can I???

If anyone has any bright ideas which might make things a little easier please feel free to tell me im completely off track, you have all got much more experience of these situations than me and to be honest id like to learn the easy way without breaking the bank, especially in the middle of my university exams

Cheers

Also BTB 500 if you decide to change to amg wheels would you be interested in selling me your current wheels? Im happy to collect and in no rush as currently the tyres are ok and I cant remortgage the house to pay for everything at once.... or can I???
Potentially, yes. I was possibly going to keep them with a set of winter tyres on in case we need to go to Germany at that time of year, but they'd be quite bulky to store.

My insurance is up at the end of July, I was going to swap to a 'mod friendly' company then (if I can find one). Will give you 1st refusal if you are still looking then.

The eBay shop I mentioned earlier does sell sets of these wheels from time to time. They are discounted, but obviously still more expensive than 2nd hand ones.

Also worth keeping an eye on these guys:

Mercedes VITO 639 alloys | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

They do have used wheels as well (only showing new ones for the Vito at the moment). They got me the AMG split-rims for my SL.

Look for a NGT 2.5 and it should work.
This is what I am fitting in my 2005 115 vito

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom