Wanting to change tv provider.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have the basic Sky Q package and just pay for a "ticket" for anything extra (usually only a sporting event) that I want to see. I find that with Amazon Prime and at the ability to record so much other content on SKY Q we do not really need anything else.

Sky is premium price for a premium service. No one does it better or as the same content. I have the full monty off them ref TV and have done so since the square dish, couldn't live without the content especially the sports, this weekend for instance F1 in full Ultra HD, Prem Footy in Full Ultra HD, Golf players open , full coverage and no channel changes in the middle, there hardware especially the Q Box is a fantastic piece of equipment . They are the best at what they do and when broken down the subscription is pretty good value in fact the best out there.

I don't particularly enjoy a lot of American TV so tend to use Freeview and the catch up option if available, if I'm honest I rarely actually watch TV but do like it on in the background.

Reactions: 219
Interesting nobody has mentioned Plusnet. We've had Plusnet fibre broadband since fibre first came to this area. Basically same as BT but easier to talk to. Always fast was around 70 Mb/s, dropped a bit now but still fast. We use Freeview in the kitchen and Sky HD+ in the lounge. Waiting for Sky Q to have one of their special deals again.
Also have Netflix at present but that could change.
I've always resisted having everything from one supplier because you have no room to barter.
If you have pricing problem with Sky tell them your leaving. Works miracles!

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Well just get on to sky and say you cannot afford the sky tv package anymore,do so with a couple of weeks to go before your subscription is due,they will hand you over to somebody who can reduce your monthly payments,look to get it down to half,they might say we cannot do that then say well cancel it ,and while you are at it cancel the broadband as well,then go with Talk Talk,Sky will come back with a offer,look to paying half,play hard ball Talk Talk are ok I use them,one thing is they check what broadband speed you can get and do not put you on a higher band if you are too far from the exchange,they seem to have got their act together.

Reactions: 219
Be careful about who you use for broadband or get your own hardware.

We changed from BT to Plusnet which is still BT but the budget version.

I simply couldn't do my work with Plusnet due to their incredibly slow speeds, however, it's the same wires. The router that they supplied was cack and they refused to support the old BT one..

Wouldn't touch Talk Talk with a bargepole, their customer service is atrocious. They've been on watchdog many times, i doubt things have improved
Totally agree........when i moved had terrible trouble cancelling and also my friends Father had to move his line from his former home to a Care Residence it took over a month and then when it was tried to be cancelled they would not cancel it and they had to have proof that he had died one month previous and still did not want to cancel but eventually did.
His Sister had a connection problem and could not watch or phone anything and it took over a month to sort.......good riddance to them i say.

I simply couldn't do my work with Plusnet due to their incredibly slow speeds, however, it's the same wires. The router that they supplied was cack and they refused to support the old BT one..

I'm surprised about this because the dedicated Plusnet router is identical to BT although they have supplied third party routers in the past so you may have been unlucky.
They are separate companies so no they won't support a BT router. Plusnet is usually there with the best of them and you have the benefit of speaking to someone in England and not overseas.

PlusNet might not support the BT router but unless they have locked it there should be nothing to stop it being used. It will need to be accessed via a web browser and the broadband username and password changed to the new PlusNet account.

If you want to monitor a routers performance without the bother of logging into it via a web browser, this is a neat and simple little app. I have a short cut on the desktop and launching Router stats will within a few secs provide the basic statistics of line attenuation and connection speed.

RouterStats -Lite. Get the software safe and easy.

I’ve made the same mistake but going from Sky broadband to Plusnet so I could get BT Sport at a good rate - the terrible WiFi signal is just something I’ve resigned myself to after much complaining to Plusnet.

I’ve made the same mistake but going from Sky broadband to Plusnet so I could get BT Sport at a good rate - the terrible WiFi signal is just something I’ve resigned myself to after much complaining to Plusnet.
Re terrible WiFi - we had lots of dead spots around the house which I’d tried to plug with various range extenders etc. Eventually bit the bullet and bought a Linksys Velop mesh system (other mesh systems are available). Has transformed the situation - fast stable WiFi everywhere and my previous “superhub” box is now reduced to functioning as a modem.

Is it 100% legal? I'm not convinced that viewing what would normally be paid content on the so called "dodgy boxes" is legal.

How can it be (legally) free if it is usually paid for via other sources? Isn't it the same as downloading pirated movies?

It's not legal, I just looked up some comments on copyright infringement:

"Copyright infringement can lead to substantial penalties, even if the UK legal system is unlikely to hit American levels of awards.

Upon conviction in the magistrates' court the maximum term of incarceration in the UK for copyright infringement is 6 months and/or a fine of up to £50,000.

Upon conviction in the Crown Court the maximum term of incarceration in the UK for copyright infringement is 10 years and/or an "unlimited" fine."

You can ignore the Router's WiFi and just install your own standalone WiFi Access Point?

"Copyright infringement can lead to substantial penalties, even if the UK legal system is unlikely to hit American levels of awards.

Upon conviction in the magistrates' court the maximum term of incarceration in the UK for copyright infringement is 6 months and/or a fine of up to £50,000.

Upon conviction in the Crown Court the maximum term of incarceration in the UK for copyright infringement is 10 years and/or an "unlimited" fine."
Copyright is only infringed if you download and share material without owners permission.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You can ignore the Router's WiFi and just install your own standalone WiFi Access Point?
The problem with that is that you have removed your right to complain as they will just say that the router is not supported and place the blame on your interference with their hardware.

And some context, there are different types of infringement.

Just watching streaming content is illegal (since a change in EU laws about 2 years ago), but the number of people in the UK who have been prosecuted is extremely low.

Distributing copyrighted content (or enabling the capability) is more of where the focus on prosecutions have been. The people you mentioned earlier were mass selling Android boxes with Kodi installed, but the key part was that they also had the add-ons installed which allowed for copyright infringement.

The other main target has been those uploading data that these sources use for distribution, and the distributors who are STORING and RESHARING content.

The Joe Public who got caught up in this were those using peer-peer sharing tools which rely on the downloader also sharing the content for others. There were a few cases, mainly US side.

Detection tends to be on the big ISP (BT, SKY, VIRGIN etc) level who have been compelled by the government to monitor traffic for such content. If spotted, they are to issue a cease order and report it. Get identified 3 times and they are to cut your service and add you to the naughty list. You can of course use a VPN to ensure that the ISP cannot inspect the content of traffic passing across their network.

There are believed to be over 3 million Kodi box users in the UK alone, there are not mass prosecutions against that user base. The focus has been entirely on the distributors and enablers, not Joe public to date.

Things may change, but that is the current position, and context to show that its nowhere near the position portrayed at times in this thread. Now, given that it is not legal to stream copyrighted content you have not paid for, there are ways to minimise risks which are in the current climate quite low anyway. That's where an individuals core values come into play in deciding for themselves whether they want to look at it or not.

Using the likes of Kodi does take some technical capability and also maintenance in keeping it up to date and the changing add-ons which can get abandoned (as they have been taken down as a distributor) and new ones pop up (often the same team as one which has been abandoned). Using Builds rather than individual add ons is often a better way to go as they do some of this management for you.

Anyway, there you have it, do your research, don't believe the doom and gloom view and decide for yourselves.

The problem with that is that you have removed your right to complain as they will just say that the router is not supported and place the blame on your interference with their hardware.

The best way to do it is to keep the plusnet modem/router and put a wireless router behind it with a new WIFI SSID. That way if there is an issue you just connect back to the Plusnet WIFI and prove it is still a problem.

Other way is to put a mesh WIFI network behind the Plusnet modem/router.

Some interesting comments here, thank you. Spoke to sky retention section and have a 33% reduction in monthly cost for exact same service. A total of £480 saving over the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom