War Footage Kamakazi strikes

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by ioweddie, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ioweddie

ioweddie MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    9 people like this.
  2. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    Fascinating perspective.

I recently watched 'World War II in Colour' and in that particular episode, it was when they dropped the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

3. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Bit of artistic licence in the description perhaps. I doubt that 5 inch naval guns were the best protection from close range aerial attack so I am slightly puzzled why the video concentrated on those instead of her 12 × 40 mm anti-aircraft guns and 11 × 20 mm anti-aircraft cannons. At the time the USS Laffey was part of a defensive screen round the main capital ships as the aircraft carriers were really what the Japanese were after. IRRC some of these were vulnerable because they had wooden flight decks rather than British carriers which were steel plate?
    I would recommend this epic TV series for those interested in the war in the Pacific.
    Victory at Sea. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victory-Sea...1419108670&sr=8-1&keywords=victory+at+sea+dvd

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
    The tone and nature of the commentary in something as powerful as that needs working on carefully to prevent it sounding disingenuous.

If people are really interested in this type of thing you can come to the Solomon Islands, Bougainville, PNG, immerse yourself in the local culture a little bit, talk to right people and go see debris, air craft, bits of ships etc Much of it on private land well off the current tourist map - in the jungle - in the sea not too far offshore etc. A real adventure and very sobering.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  5. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Here is just one episode of that Victory at Sea Series that I mentioned that deals with the Kamikaze attacks.
    [YOUTUBE]I3S65aOSE7Y&list=PLMOJ05TrdIZA7pNQa5YjrHuPIDPdHPIod&index=25[/YOUTUBE]