Warming up cat - Automatic transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
I have noticed on my car from cold and in the owners handbook that starting off from a cold engine the engine runs faster to get the cat up to operating temperature quicker. To me this feels like extra performance or an extra kick of power, how does this operate is it some kind of 2 stage chip or is it just written into the ECU. Is it possible to harness this little extra because I quite like it.

I think it is just that the engine is allowed to run at higher RPM before changing gear to speed up the warm up of both the CAT and the engine/gearbox.

Not a 2 stage program, you can get the same results by pressing the pedal harder/further so that the engine uses more revs. The 1.8 engines and all 16 valve engines develop power at high engine rpm, not wishing to sound rude but have you tried 'flooring' it to use the full engine rpm?

Oh yes, I found the kick down early on............nice !
The only thing with the kick down is the engine revs its nuts off and does not sound very nice in a luxury car with passengers who you are trying to impress with "The Merc".

Get a Big Bore exhaust on it Andy :devil: :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom