Warning! Distressing subject. Loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm sorry I've only just found this thread and I'm shocked and appalled to read it. I'm so sorry for you losses; all in all it's so bad in a way words can't describe.

Sorry to open up the thieving part about your brothers again, but of course they are perfectly happy to operate in this underhand and illegal manner, and their wives/partners will be in on it 100%

My initial fear as I read though this is that the probate needs to be progressed, and if you're not in a position to do it then a solicitor should. My thoughts as to why are as follows:

Just imagine, when all the money has been spent, you get another nasty solicitors letter stating that you have taken all the money, and that you are being demanded to return it/being sued.

Who would do that? The sort of person who has no morals and steals it in the first place. Probate being addressed correctly will draw a line under it and protect you from future claims.

I can't also can't believe that in today's society life changing amounts of money have no evidence of existence. Unless it was all cash in hand with no employer or employee contract, there will be some sort of records. And even if it were years of cash in hand activity, then spending life changing amounts of money leaves a trail.

The Police saying there's no evidence of the act is a brush off and sounds like them saying they can't be bothered ( I don't have the details of course). Fraud and money crime of this nature is basically not investigated by the Police in this country because the Police are chronically underfunded. I strongly suggest you book and initial free consultation with a solicitor to talk this through. At least then you will be better equipped to make a decision on the technicalities of proceeding and its benefits and drawbacks, and they might give you an idea of costs. As I said, my biggest worry would be future claims, possibly from the taxman.

It's your call, but I would want probate finalised to simply draw a line under it. As others have said, chuck any money recovered to the charities supported by your mum if that helps.

Best of luck whatever the future holds and hope to come across you on less distressing threads on the forum.

Last edited:
Mum kept most of her money in cash, as she was old school. Its not worth me going through any more pain as it very nearly pushed me to suicide but held back because i have my wife and kids and grndkids to think about. What hurts most of all is the fact i only got 1 pic of my mum and they took all the others, including everything else. I can only hope that karma comes to them. Im not the only peson who has been through this, and can only pray others dont suffer the same fate. My brothers arent stupid, they know that if they put cash in banks, they will have to justify it, and one of them would have already spent a large amount of it. Sod em, theyve been expelled from the family, and all known photos of them and their kids have been destroyed.
It has taken a toll on both my physical and mental health, and i do grieve for the loss of my brothers as brothers, but will never forgive them for what they have done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom