WARNING: Do not use SatNavDirect on Ebay!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jacksona

Car
2014 SL 350 AMG Sport, Cavansite Blue, Porcelain Leather
All,

Just wanted to post a warning about an Ebay Shop called SatNavDirect.

I recently purchased what was advertised as a genuine Becker Map Pilot with latest maps to go in my SLK.

It was fine when I received it, but I plugged it into my PC, using the Becker Content Manager software, to see if it needed any updates. It asked me if I wanted to update the Firmware, which I said yes to. After about 5 minutes of waiting, the screen went red, and informed me that there was a problem with the unit.

As I hadn't purchased the unit from MB, I contacted Becker direct, who were very helpful. Eventually, they suggested I send the unit back to them to have the Firmware properly reinstalled.

I have this morning received the unit back, with a letter, which reads:

"Enclosed you will receive the Becker Map Pilot that was sent to us. We cannot help you. The device sent to us is a manipulated device. This is the reason for the issues you have with the unit. The device is manipulated in a way that it can log on with a wrong device number and so the illegally installed maps can be used. In the case of manipulated devices we reject any service. In this case we will not take legal action."

I've raised a case with Ebay, and the seller has just responded with:

"HI Becker unit was illegally instaled maps? Really sorry about that but we are reseller company. We buy all becker units from Germany big amount and sell. We are not make any updates or something. You can return back to as and we will make full refund. Let me know please."

I'll send it back for a refund, but wanted to share, so that others don't get stung...

Adam.

Is it possible the seller was unaware?

Make sure you send it back TRACKED online.

You must be able to prove it has been received, proof that it has been posted means nothing if they dispute delivery.

@bob6600 They're certainly claiming no knowledge. However, as they state, they sell loads, so just wanted to warn everyone...

@neilrr Absolutely! It was tracked to Germany, and it'll be tracked & signed for going back to the Seller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on sending it tracked - I've just had to return 2 RAM sticks that had Samsung stickers on them but were fakes, vendor agreed to refund but wanted me to return the 2nd class - said he'd refund the 75p it would cost - but I sent it 2nd recorded for £1.85.

I'm guessing they know they aren't legit units. I'm also guessing that they were a bit cheaper than buying a legit unit.

A good proportion of their buyers must do exactly what you did, hook it up to see if there are any updates. So they'll be aware that the units get bricked in such circumstances.

I've always assumed pretty well everything on eBay is fake/counterfeit or stolen.

Rory said:
I've always assumed pretty well everything on eBay is fake/counterfeit or stolen.
If the deal is too good to be true it probably is fake/counterfeit, stolen or a return stock but if the price is a bit lower compared to a high street, in such cases it usually isn't fake. At least that's my experience.

I can't remember the name of the company, but I bought a TomTom with Australia maps on eBay last year (cheaper than just buying the maps from TomTom and much cheaper that including sat navy with the hire car). I went through the same procedure of updates and it locked everything. I contacted the seller who simply sent another TomTom with maps. I didn't try updating and it was fine for our Oz holiday. I used the replacement again in Spain earlier this year when I hired a car because it also has Europe maps. You tend to get what you pay for on eBay.

^^^^ More accurately, you don't get what you don't pay for :thumb:

I must be in a minority then where most of the stuff I have bought are as described.

eBay is a helping hand for the scammers but with paypal protection and if you ensure you read the wording of the listing properly, you can normally fish out the legit ones.

The issue is that whilst it IS a genuine Becker Map Pilot, it has been hacked so that it could have the latest maps installed at (presumably) zero cost to the seller.

They've agreed to give me a refund rather too quickly, so they clearly know that these units aren't 100% kosher...

I'm going back to Google Maps on my iPhone.

Lots of second-hand COMAND units on eBay, they are not all stolen/illegal/counterfeit etc.... of course it's 'buyers beware', but a sense of proportion is advised.

I must be in a minority then where most of the stuff I have bought are as described.

eBay is a helping hand for the scammers but with paypal protection and if you ensure you read the wording of the listing properly, you can normally fish out the legit ones.
No. Generally I'm pretty confident that what I've got is genuine (either that or I bought it knowing it was a knock-off and didn't expect much).

I did get my fingers burnt on a "Mercedes Benz Navigations-DVD A1698277459 COMAND APS V12 2010/2011" that was clearly a copy upon closer inspection. - It didn't go in my car, and I stopped trying to source a second-hand disc and bought new instead.

I think sat navs (and the updates) must have a good enough margins that you can still make money even if a few get returned.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182281473925?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

All,

Just wanted to post a warning about an Ebay Shop called SatNavDirect.

I recently purchased what was advertised as a genuine Becker Map Pilot with latest maps to go in my SLK.

It was fine when I received it, but I plugged it into my PC, using the Becker Content Manager software, to see if it needed any updates. It asked me if I wanted to update the Firmware, which I said yes to. After about 5 minutes of waiting, the screen went red, and informed me that there was a problem with the unit.

As I hadn't purchased the unit from MB, I contacted Becker direct, who were very helpful. Eventually, they suggested I send the unit back to them to have the Firmware properly reinstalled.

I have this morning received the unit back, with a letter, which reads:

"Enclosed you will receive the Becker Map Pilot that was sent to us. We cannot help you. The device sent to us is a manipulated device. This is the reason for the issues you have with the unit. The device is manipulated in a way that it can log on with a wrong device number and so the illegally installed maps can be used. In the case of manipulated devices we reject any service. In this case we will not take legal action."

I've raised a case with Ebay, and the seller has just responded with:

"HI Becker unit was illegally instaled maps? Really sorry about that but we are reseller company. We buy all becker units from Germany big amount and sell. We are not make any updates or something. You can return back to as and we will make full refund. Let me know please."

I'll send it back for a refund, but wanted to share, so that others don't get stung...

Adam.

Clearly a Chinese knock off. The language is classic.

Clearly a Chinese knock off. The language is classic.

Becker Germany seemed happy that the unit was genuine, but had been hacked to enable copied maps to be installed, which presumably would normally be keyed to a serial number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Generally I'm pretty confident that what I've got is genuine (either that or I bought it knowing it was a knock-off and didn't expect much).

I did get my fingers burnt on a "Mercedes Benz Navigations-DVD A1698277459 COMAND APS V12 2010/2011" that was clearly a copy upon closer inspection. - It didn't go in my car, and I stopped trying to source a second-hand disc and bought new instead.

I think sat navs (and the updates) must have a good enough margins that you can still make money even if a few get returned.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182281473925?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

A few months back there was a 'too good to be true' item posted on a forum. Member posting it wasn't the owner of the ebay listing but saw a £45 item listed for £15. We all knew it was a scam but that 1% chance it wasn't, I bought it knowing paypal protection was there. Item never showed, full refund given.

We are one of the few Teleatlas distributors and we also re-sell the genuine Mercedes disks. I can assure you there is very little margin on the disks as we sell lower than Mercedes RRP.

I've bought a few units over the last few years from the guys in Kaunas? Lithuania who sell on eBay and up to now not had problems.
Got a couple of BMW nav units and a couple of COMAND units as well.

I might just have been lucky though. :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom