WARNING - DVLA online car tax fraud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswt

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C320cdi Sport, S-Max 2.0T Titanium Sport, 1974 Triumph Stag (needing restoration)
I needed to renew my car tax two weeks ago and a work colleague warned me not to use the DVLA on line system because he had heard that some dishonest employees at the DVLA were selling on credit card details from online transactions.

He explained that once a credit card company realises you’ve made an online payment to the DVLA they would cancel your card for security purposes and send out a new one.

On hearing this good advice a complete ignored it :confused: and used my credit card on line with the DVLA!!! (in my defence I did use my credit card rather than debit card in case he was right)

Low and behold my card company rang me up last week and said they were cancelling my card but they wouldn’t disclose the source of their concerns.

It could have been just a coincident but I thought I’d warn fellow MB Club members.

I've used the 24 hour telephone service the last few times - no problems at all, and very quick.

I've used the 24 hour telephone service the last few times - no problems at all, and very quick.

I used the telephone system last time because I forgot about taxing my car and left it two months untaxed. I called the DVLA and paid via their telephone system which even told me I could face a fine but I've never heard anything since.

...Talk about offering to them on a plate!!!

What I dont understand with this is that if you tax online, the card details are being processed by an independent secure payment gateway. The card details are encrypted and are processed bank to bank directly. The DVLA staff shouldnt have a need or even be able to access any card details at all..... If this is true then the system they use is years out of date and I'm not surprised its being abused.

i never use any government agency with my cards.
too many unaccountable people work in there and they are not obliged to tell you any information when you are pursuing a case.
it is not just the DVLA.
Even bank staff are now selling footballers cheque books andcard numbers to organised criminals so just keep an eye on everything.
Like i said the debit account i use never has money in it unless i have to pay for something. and then it becomes empty again.

Last edited:
Im sure the DVLA head office is in Swansea........;)

Yes it's in Swansea (where I live), it dominates the skyline here :)

Also, you're not an Egg card customer are you? They are randomly cancelling 116000 cards at the moment...

I got mine online at Christmas and used the debit card (To save the £2.50 charge). Disk arrived 5 days after I was online and the card has not been used for fraud!

I hope this has been passed to the DVLA tho. Its information they might like to hearabout and the service is useful. I don't have to root about for my insurance documents, then have to insist that they are the correct documents at the post office all because the certificate only has the reg number on and not the car etc etc.

I taxed my van online at the beggining of January:eek:

Will be keeping an eye on my account!!!

Old boy Fredfoggle would have something to say about this!:rolleyes: :D

I hope this has been passed to the DVLA tho. Its information they might like to hearabout and the service is useful. I don't have to root about for my insurance documents, then have to insist that they are the correct documents at the post office all because the certificate only has the reg number on and not the car etc etc.

This DVLA problem was reported in a Sunday broadsheet so hopefully they've had enough feedback already but I would have thought that the credit card companies were contacting the DVLA as a matter of course.

Last edited:
I have used this online service for both out cars without any hassle or theft....I too thought it was an encrypted system ..... https + padlock showing

https will not help if the processing staff are dodgy.
if you send registered secure post and the postman robs it well? he can always alter details to prove it was not him

The encryption is just the packets being encrypted as the data travels the internet.

Its what happens to the data during and after processing thats worrying.

With most 'proper' online retailers, the payment processing is done totally electronically by the bank or clearing house and the retailer doesnt ever get to see card details - just a confirmation that the transaction was a success or not.

If the DVLA dont operate this kind of safe transaction system then we have every right to be concerned.

Thats nothing.....

I READ YOUR EMAIL ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom