Warning light (visit workshop)!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

forest angel

Car
CLK 280 Cabriolet Sport / 320 SLK
Warning light (visit workshop)!!!!! x2

Hi i have just bought a brand new CLK 280 cabriolet drove it home from the showroom no problem! put it lovingly in my garage, ready for my early morning drive to work, gets in the car starts up engine my display read (VISIT WORKSHOP )in BIG RED LETTERS and the battery sign !!! checked my manual said faulty alternator or torn poly-v-belt what ever that is !! rang up garage they sent a guy out he could not fix it, its now back in the garage and they say its not the alternator but could be just a flat battery is it me or does this happen alot with new cars i have never heard of it, im not a happy bunny any info would be great cheers :confused:

ps. I should have stuck with my trusty 6 year old SLK 320 :mad:

Last edited:
It's a bathtub curve thingy - you've just tumbling over the edge!

Perhaps it just needed a decent run to charge the battery up after sitting around at the dealers for a while?

Thanks Rory i was just very disapointed i wanted to be out cruising not stuck inside missing all the sun x

My guesses are that it would have been the alternator where if it was a flat battery then the error message would relate to "battery low" or no error message full stop and the car would not start.

PS. Your are entitled to loan car if they have not already provided you with one.

Last edited:
reject the car fit for purpose????

Hi guys thanks Flash i did get a loan car the day after they took my car, they rang the next day to say it was fixed and that it was a flat battery ???? they bought it back to me Friday about 1.30pm i jumped in her took her for a spin brill no probs , put her in garage got up this morning quess what !!!!!! yes same warning light on the panel , could not believe it why me , rang up garage they said it must be the alternator, so i said you told me it was the battery and that you had checked the alternator and it was fine ????? long story short its now back at garage having a new( yes you guessed it )alternator fitted ,at this rate i should get my car by christmas why should i have to have a new car fixed ? im not sure of my legal rights on this one have i done the right thing in letting them fix it ?
silverarrow what does reject the car fit for purpose???? mean
sorry if i sound a bit vauge

Kind Regards :confused:

forest angel said:
silverarrow what does reject the car fit for purpose???? mean
It basically means that it doesn't do what you would reasonably expect it to (ie go!!)
See http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/law_goods.shtml

Rejecting a car is not for the faint hearted. It's also complicated if you got the car on finance, as technically the car belongs to the finance company.

if you leave it too long you will not be able to reject the car i have a work mate who has a s class doing the same thing and this was a earth strap in the boot and a couple of short circuits
i would reject the car leave it at the dealers and keep the loan car insure both just in case

its seems its the usual main agent approach ie simple idea / guess work ie batt then alt then ummm umm new software re alarm system oh and it must be the customer leaving the lights on ????
see a solictor next week
fax a letter to the dealer principle and mbz uk and what car mag saying is this the norm for mbz
mbz did a press release saying build quality up
umm umm umm

Thanks guys your advice is much appreciated, i will see what the garage says on Monday they said they would ring me then as nobody would touch it over the weekend, i will keep you posted im now ready for them if they dare tell me its the battery again i will blow and they will be having this car back!! thanks once again just wanted to know if i was being unreasonable.

Kind Regards X:devil:

Forest Angel: Draft up a letter to the Stealership addressed to the Sales Manager and “Stealer” Principal and state that the car has failed twice now and the fault was mis-diagnosed first time round. Clearly state that should the fault occur again then you shall be rejecting the car for a full refund as it will be an on going issue from the very beginning of when you have taken delivery of the car!!! If your thinking of rejecting the car then you need to get things in writing now and send via First Class Recorded delivery. In order to reject a product under the Supply of Sale and Goods Act the Stealer has to have at least one or two attempts to try and resolve/rectify the issue first. This will now be the Stealer’s second attempt and should the same error message occur afterwards “Visit Work Shop” with the battery display then you are entitled to a full refund…:)

Good luck...

PS. When you get your car back give it the full once over ie. Check the alloys for damage/curbing and the body/paint work…;)

Hi guys just to let you know i was told by the garage on Monday it WAS my alternator and that it would have to be ordered from Germany as they have none in England ???? and this would take up to 10 days my god !! came of the phone had a breakdown ( no im not trying to be funny ) then this afternoon sunning and sulking outside when the garage rang MY CAR WAS READY ???
to cut a long story short i have my car back fingers crossed this is the end of it, i dont know where they got the alternator from and i dont care hopefully it will be happy motoring from now on ?

Thanks for all your advice have a nice day kind regards the pain xxxx:p

Here's hoping it is sorted once and for all.;)

Sorry to hear of all the traumas - a new car should be an exciting event!

You are way more tolerant than I would be - if I can be of any help composing a letter (doing things like that is part of what I do) feel free to give me a shout.

I would be requesting some form of compensation at the very least - maybe a free service? As someone else had the wisdom to point out (think it was Pammy) a question such as "How would you feel if your brand new car was not working properly" to the dealer principle can have a much better effect than ranting and raving.

Thanks Pammy ,i really miss driving my SLK 320, but i have to sell her:( i always leave a message hidden in my cars when i sell them tho :p (a woman thing lol)

Gollom thanks for the offer if i have any more trouble i will take you up on that cheers :eek:

All the best wish me good luck for ignition turn on tomorrow ?:eek: XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom