Warning lights and messages on at start up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sumptners

Car
C Class estate
My wife has a C180 Petrol Estate of 2011 vintage. Over the last few months when starting the car in the morning as soon as the key is turned to start, a continuous moving display of error messages appear. These include 'restraint system inoperative, speedtronic inoperative, abs etc. etc. etc. There must be at least 6 different messages plus all the warning lights stay on. The engine starts fine but sometimes it is impossible to move the selector to drive.
After the car has run for 15 seconds or so the engine fan starts up to maximum speed for some reason. Turn the ignition off and try again and the lights /warnings disappear although this may take a number of attempts. I found there is a supplementary battery under the boot floor (no mention of this in handbook) and suspected it was down and replaced it with a minimal improvement, however the problem returned. I suspect a battery drain but an auto electrician could find nothing. The problem appears worse when left overnight even if this is for a shorter time than leaving it during the day. Outside temperature is almost certainly not a factor.
Driving us mad so any help much appreciated.

Did the electrician use Xentry/STAR to read the error codes?
Has the car been jump started recently?
How old is the main battery?
Does the SAM unit in the engine bay show any signs of having been wet? Windscreen scuttle drains clear and free flowing?

Did the electrician use Xentry/STAR to read the error codes?
Has the car been jump started recently?
How old is the main battery?
Does the SAM unit in the engine bay show any signs of having been wet? Windscreen scuttle drains clear and free flowing?

Not sure what Xentry/STAR is however the electrician gave me a Bosch readout which went to three pages and had dozens of malfunctions / communication faults. Includes wheel speed sensors, braking, selector lever module, steering column switch module etc. etc. The mystery one was 'CAN signal from casing module' - No signal or signal not valid.

I have poured water over windscreen and drains are clean and free running. There is however a slight drip from wiper mechanism on to top of cover to fuse box on drivers side but no sign of water entry.

The main battery is new, less than 3 months old, and the car has not been jump started.

if the car is started in the morning the problem never reappears during daylight even after say 12 hours. if started in the evening the problem may occur in the morning after say only 8 hours.

Many thanks for you input.

STAR is Mercedes diagnostic tool. One should really read the error codes then delete them all and see which come back. You could have lots of codes that are not current.

My wife has a C180 Petrol Estate of 2011 vintage. Over the last few months when starting the car in the morning as soon as the key is turned to start, a continuous moving display of error messages appear. These include 'restraint system inoperative, speedtronic inoperative, abs etc. etc. etc. There must be at least 6 different messages plus all the warning lights stay on. The engine starts fine but sometimes it is impossible to move the selector to drive.
After the car has run for 15 seconds or so the engine fan starts up to maximum speed for some reason. Turn the ignition off and try again and the lights /warnings disappear although this may take a number of attempts. I found there is a supplementary battery under the boot floor (no mention of this in handbook) and suspected it was down and replaced it with a minimal improvement, however the problem returned. I suspect a battery drain but an auto electrician could find nothing. The problem appears worse when left overnight even if this is for a shorter time than leaving it during the day. Outside temperature is almost certainly not a factor.
Driving us mad so any help much appreciated.
Did you get to the bottom of this issue sounds similar to issues I’m having?

Did you get to the bottom of this issue sounds similar to issues I’m having?
Yes I did. Ended up at Mercedes dealer who fitted new Sam unit / fuse box. Cost about £500. Should have gone there first and would have saved the £450 I wasted on 2 new batteries, auto electrician etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom