Warning Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samuelfulton

Car
CL 63 AMG
Good Morning All,
I have a 63 plate CL 63 which was bought in June but which I only got to drive this week due to being away from home.
Anyway, the engine warning light is on, The ABS and ESP lights have come on and the car is running very rough. I have it booked in for next
Monday but was wondering if this is a common issue. The car looks stunning and sounds fantastic so I will definitely be keeping it but hope
I haven't bought a load of trouble.

Cheers, and have a great weekend.

What is the state of charge with the battery?

As above, get both the main and stop start battery fully charged first.
Chances are the faults will be gone afterwards.

Thanks people. Very interesting answers, car has gone into German Autocare this morning to be checked. I will post results when I get them.

The car was diagnosed with a faulty Front Drivers side ABS sensor which has now been replaced. All the lights are out and the car is running much better with all functions such as cruise control now operating. Unfortunately there is still a problem with rough running and jerkiness at low revs although the engine sounds sweet and there is no hint of an issue at higher revs. I will have this looked into when I get home at Christmas but in the meantime the car looks and performs excellent. Happy with my purchase even if I still need to spend a few quid. Sensor replacement was 600 quid all in.

You bought the car in June have you not got a warranty with it,it is less than 3 months since you bought it.

The car was diagnosed with a faulty Front Drivers side ABS sensor which has now been replaced.... Sensor replacement was 600 quid all in.

So what else did they do for £600? The sensor itself is ~£150 per corner, parts-and-abour. Or have they replaced all 4 wheel sensors preemptively?

Great to get feedback like this. Hope this explains it for you. If anyone has a suggestion as to where I can take the car to try and fathom out the rough running I would be grateful. Don't car how far I need to travel.

Take it back to the dealer you bought from and get them to look at it under warranty

OK, so they replaced both the wheel hub and the speed sensor. Did they say what was wrong with the wheel hub? I am guessing that the bolt securing the speed sensor to the hub was badly corroded, and they were unable to remove it without damaging/stripping the thread inside the bolt hole in the hub, so they removed the old hub and speed sensor as one unit and replaced them with new.

Last edited:
TBH I didn't ask them. I have used this particular service for years, including my R 63 AMG and always found them to be pretty straight up.

I have contacted the dealer about the rough running and will take the car in when I am next home from work ( Christmas ) In the meantime will keep it on trickle charge. Thanks for the help.

On a very general note, rough idle is often the result of a vacuum leak, but knowing where to look for the offending hose requires skill and experience. The various vacuum hoses themselves are relatively inexpensive, but some require a considerable amount of dismantling to get to, and so if you are particularly unlucky then the labour charge can be high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom