Warning - Peteborough Car Centre http://www.peterboroughcarcentre.co.uk Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As has been pointed out, it was a reply to another member's post - nothing to do with your post so I don't see your issue?

Fact is - you were comparing apples with oranges. As a W210 owner who has looked at loads as well, I can honestly say that the very vast majority of these cars have rust - it's what you should expect to find and not be surprised about :)
I don't have an issue. I was only challenging your earlier statement that "With old, high mileage, cheap Mercs you tend to get what you pay for. For £2k I would throughly expect it to be rusty ..."by giving an example of an old, high mileage Merc of similar value that was in good nick. You then responded by saying mine "wasn't a 170k miler W210 diesel estate ...", thereby limiting your earlier all-encompassing criticism of Mercs. But you'd also agreed with Ian that Lexus produced a much better model. So my minor issue was that you were happy to offer an example of a totally different make of car to prove your point about Mercs being expensive rust buckets, but wouldn't accept my proof that your original statement most certainly wasn't true.

The OP had said that he expected more for his money. You said he was being unreasonable. I merely gave an example to support the OP's expectations, expectations that I considered to be perfectly reasonable.

I agree that most, not all, W210s have a bit of rust around the wheel arches and perhaps one or two minor faults. But those I'd expect to see for half the price, like this one for instance: Mercedes-Benz E Class E240 ELEGANCE 7 SEATER TIP AUTO [2.6] 5dr 2002 For £2k+ I'd expect something better.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/radius/1501/postcode/pe78ep?logcode=p

The OP had said that he expected more for his money. You said he was being unreasonable. I merely gave an example to support the OP's expectations, expectations that I considered to be perfectly reasonable.

Actually my arguement was not that I expected something better for the price. Everyone is entitled to charge whatever they want. If someone wants to put a 20K price tag on a rust bucket or MOT failure - I have no issues with that as long as they don't describe it as nice car with no faults! My complaint was not about poor value but about misrepresentation that led to a wasted journey and time.

And it is possible to have a good baragain for 2K - like this one that was sold just 5 minutes before our arrival to the seller today:
Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDI AVANTGARDE 5DR TIP AUTO 3.2 2001

OK, the car registered 16/10/2010 so a bit older BUT:
Full MB Service Hitory from new to Feb 2013
Full MB MOTs - yes even MOT done at MB Dealers!
Six!!! Month warranty
Continntal Tyres - not rubbish budget tyres that I would have to throw away immdeiately even if new.
Just very minor rust

If only I found it 30 minutes earlier!!!

Last edited:
The later 4.0 is ok for a luxo-barge. They brought in VVT with the facelift - so around 290bhp/300ft lbs, 0-60 6.3 seconds - no slouch really :)

Still slower than the GS430 or an SL60...:devil::D:D

I suspect that the EPC may be the MAF. Would also explain the slow performance.

Sadly used car dealers not letting on faults is common. I've been bitten in the past with a trip to see an S class with 'Full' Service History and immaculate. This morphed into one service, 4 odd tyres (I'm not a tyre snob, but this included including 1 Winter), a missing parking sensor and one sheared wheel bolt. I walked (neigh - ran!) away.

Yours wasn't a 170k miler W210 diesel estate - and I suspect in better condition than most other examples - an exception to the rule.

Walk around a few car parks - ALL W210s are rusty - well 99% of them :)
mines not 1999 e 320 avante garde full merc history obsidian black , bought off e bay for 1800 and no faults warnings etc even delivered it fom bath to Clacton for me

What did you expect for £2,290 ??

Now your on here moaning about a 170K mile Car you did not Buy ?

Get real or look local

Actually my arguement was not that I expected something better for the price. Everyone is entitled to charge whatever they want. If someone wants to put a 20K price tag on a rust bucket or MOT failure - I have no issues with that as long as they don't describe it as nice car with no faults! My complaint was not about poor value but about misrepresentation that led to a wasted journey and time.

And it is possible to have a good baragain for 2K - like this one that was sold just 5 minutes before our arrival to the seller today:
Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDI AVANTGARDE 5DR TIP AUTO 3.2 2001

OK, the car registered 16/10/2010 so a bit older BUT:
Full MB Service Hitory from new to Feb 2013
Full MB MOTs - yes even MOT done at MB Dealers!
Six!!! Month warranty
Continntal Tyres - not rubbish budget tyres that I would have to throw away immdeiately even if new.
Just very minor rust

If only I found it 30 minutes earlier!!!

Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience

What did you expect for £2,290 ??

Now your on here moaning about a 170K mile Car you did not Buy ?

Get real or look local

There's no need to be so narky, he was complaining about it being misdescribed.

A lot of your posts seem very negative.

To put the price into perspective, I sold my MINT w210 e320 Cdi which was totally rust free and had every option available on it for £8000 just over a year ago. It was 1 owner with full history (not MB), had under 90k on the clock.

It was an exceptional example, there is a thread on it somewhere. A good one is around £4-5k, I'm afraid your trying to find a needle in a haystack at that budget.

As I said earlier, you get what you pay for. Most old cars have faults of some nature, and the cheaper they are (especially higher mileage ones) the more you should expect. Anyone who doesn't agree with this is unreasonable and are not familiar with cheap/old cars :thumb:

Occasionally you get lucky and people sell nicer cars with less faults for similar prices to the average rusty/tatty ones, but that doesn't mean that all the other ones are overpriced or in worse condition that should be expected for a limited budget.

Ten year old/170k mile diesel MB estate cars generally are quite tatty, it's what you should expect.

£2290 vs. £8000 - puts it into perspective, really :)

As said, a good example is about twice the OP's budget - so there's little room for complaint on a car that sounds as though it was in typical condition for the age/mileage :thumb:

There's no need to be so narky, he was complaining about it being misdescribed.

A lot of your posts seem very negative.

Glad you had time to troll through my posts - regret don't have the time to reciprocate

No I'm Realistic - I'm not indulgent

When u r buying a Car for a fraction of its original value having covered 175 K many years later costing less than 2 and a half grand How much do u think the sellers making ?

If he was GIVEN it he would not be getting rich - without having his Business dragged through the forums and possibly damaged

Frankly I would be too embarrassed to post on here moaning about my own ineptitude & inability to understand & question accurately the the Description of the Vehicle

FFS its an OLD CAR

£2290 vs. £8000 - puts it into perspective, really :)

As said, a good example is about twice the OP's budget - so there's little room for complaint on a car that sounds as though it was in typical condition for the age/mileage :thumb:

The issue of price is irrelevant. The seller was asked a direct question on several occasions, at least two of those were prior to the visit. He answered that the car has no problems. Multiple problems have been found. This is sufficient cause for complaint.

On the other hand, had the car been offred for $8k and I had the stupidity to visit him without actually askin questions about the condition of the car I would have no valid cause for complaint if in fact the car had a number of problems.

$8k for W210 is a combination of exceptional vehicle and HUGE amount of luck for the seller. Of cause I would not entertain the thought of payin $8k for 2003 W210 (without a warranty even) if for that sort of money I can easily find 2006 W211 with rust problem under control due to galvanised panels and full MB history:

Mercedes-Benz E Class E280 CDI AVANTGARDE 5DR TIP AUTO 3.0 2006

Mercedes-Benz E Class E280 CDI AVANTGARDE 5DR TIP AUTO 3.0 2006

If he was GIVEN it he would not be getting rich - without having his Business dragged through the forums and possibly damaged

He made statements which turnd out to be grossly incorrect and ths in my view fully deserves dragging throgh dirt.

But warry not as judging by the amount of well wishers on this forum he will have a line of buyers tomorrow for the car to grab that bargain of the century for a fraction of the original price. :thumb:

What is the problem with the lot here? Have I actually complained much about the rust? The car was described as rust free (as wll as fault / problem free) but it did have some rust problems - but that was never a sinificant part of my complaint as I did not consider them to be too major.

With regard to your car, the work you did and the price you got - consider yourself very lucky. Most engaging in this kind of project would loose a lot of money.

For 8k, I probably would not even look at MB, I would look at Lexus and their Diesel versions. :thumb:

And with your car being heavily modded and the risk of paying insurance through the nose for all the mods (and criminal offence and void insurance if they are not declared) I would probabaly be even better of buying a brand new Lexus from the dealers like the car like yours for £8K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom