Warning - Peteborough Car Centre http://www.peterboroughcarcentre.co.uk Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stocho said:
You might take the view that those mods are minor but they still have to be declared.

It's my view along with two insurers.

It's my view along with two insurers.

Did they actually say to you not to bother declaring such mods?

As prospectiv purchaser I would not chance buying car with mods.

Also while YOUR insurers did not bump your premiums a lot does not mean much.

What very often happens is that when you have some adverse info some insurers, often including the cheapest, just drop out from quoting altogether. You then are left with the ones that are mods happy and they are likely to be more expensive anyway - even for cars without mods and than they might not bump that much for a car with mods.

In any case I would not touch a car with mods, well not quite true, but I would treat them as something that has to be fixed and hence reflected in the price accordingly.

So why did you buy 3 "duffers" that you had been lied about??

It was ebay, you bid to win and they were too far away to look at first. I am fine with that as long as the sellers tell me the truth.

An example of one of the cars I bought this week. On the phone I expained i was bidding because the car was a rare colour. I get confirmation seller understands this and agrees it is a rare colour that looks great and is rust / damage free and in great shape. Car is a 4.6 Range Rover.
I turn up to pay and the car has clearly been resprayed the rare colour (a blue) and the original factory dark green is showing up all over. Not to mention the rubbers etc have overspray on them. To top it off it has a 4.0 litre engine in it! To which buyer says "well they are more reliable"
Now call me fussy but if i say i am buying because of colour you would expect seller to mention its a cack respray? And the engine swap is quite an oversight too?

^^

I think he meant we won the auction or offered the BIN/price on an ad but when he got there they weren't as described.

I assume he didn't still honour the purchase. :dk:

Yep, exactly - the other two failed HPI checks. Both were cat c write offs and one had also been stolen and recovered as well.
This pees me off because i would be broke if i did checks on every car i bid on so did it post winning. There is no reason why ebay, autotrader etc could not link up their systems to flag write offs compulsory as part of the listing.

Lastly why the hell do people hide their plates? I can see their car on the street even easier than on the internet. Can also make a note of their vin when its on the street. I just dont get it?

You might take the view that those mods are minor but they still have to be declared.

Some insurers will not incrase premiums a lot some will. If you are neither too young nor too old, no points, no accidents not in bad area you will still find some great deals on your insurance no doubt....

But than some insurers do not like points, others some ages, some aas of the country and of cause mods. So too many such factors and you will find that the cheapest insurers just will not quote and you are paying through the nose.

That's why I would not consider buyin a moded car unless the price was low enougph to cover reversing the mods.

Its a taste thing too. Modded cars in my experience rarely match my taste too so I look at them as worth less unless they are tasteful.
Point in case - i bought a Range Rover last night. It has 22 inch wheels, they are three months old and black and chrome with new tryres having done 300 miles. I want them off and back to a standard wheel asap. It makes me look like some kind of west coast gangster drug dealer!
The rest of the mods are ok so will keep them but the wheels are hideous.

Yep, exactly - the other two failed HPI checks. Both were cat c write offs and one had also been stolen and recovered as well.
This pees me off because i would be broke if i did checks on every car i bid on so did it post winning. There is no reason why ebay, autotrader etc could not link up their systems to flag write offs compulsory as part of the listing.

Lastly why the hell do people hide their plates? I can see their car on the street even easier than on the internet. Can also make a note of their vin when its on the street. I just dont get it?

And yet it seems that some people on here regard such practices as legitimate sales techniques. For what it's worth, I think the law should allow buyers to take a stick to sellers like that.

To be honest £2300 is a lot of money for a W210 these days so I would want the car to be spot on.

I didn't even get a grand for my 60k E320. In lovely condition, no faults and all the important bits done. Rust wise only a few small bubble on the front wings.

To be honest £2300 is a lot of money for a W210 these days so I would want the car to be spot on.

I didn't even get a grand for my 60k E320. In lovely condition, no faults and all the important bits done. Rust wise only a few small bubble on the front wings.

I agree - funnily enough I was thinking about the value of mine as I will probably be selling it in the next 6 weeks once I have sorted my latest buy out.
Its got a great history, 116k miles, good spec - needs a wing (someone hit it - light dent) and a few odd rust spots (nothing horrendous as it was in MB care until 2009) .... not holding my breath on what I will get, but I bought it right at least.

The way I see it is, always declare any mods you do on your car as it saves a lot of hassle if the unfortunate ever happened. If you dont want to spend or cant afford the extra premium for the mods, just dont mod you car. Simple as.

And yet it seems that some people on here regard such practices as legitimate sales techniques. For what it's worth, I think the law should allow buyers to take a stick to sellers like that.

Well if car is actually purchased via ebay than at least something can be done. For example seller who misrepresented the car could in theory be sued for a loss of bargain or at least for the cost of wasted journey that took place after the sale on ebay. It is more difficult (though probably no impossible) to find a cause for action if thee is no contract prior to the journey. Of cause suing is time consuming and after judgement is obtained actually getting money is another thing that just might not happen.

Well if car is actually purchased via ebay than at least something can be done. For example seller who misrepresented the car could in theory be sued for a loss of bargain or at least for the cost of wasted journey that took place after the sale on ebay. It is more difficult (though probably no impossible) to find a cause for action if thee is no contract prior to the journey. Of cause suing is time consuming and after judgement is obtained actually getting money is another thing that just might not happen.

... which is why I was suggesting a form of legalised assault as a time saver ;)

Sounds like the car needs a new battery and a brake lamp switch...

Poor attitude by the seller though... he should have fixed those and then asked another £1000.

regarding original garage, sounds like the seller thought (i'd agree) buyer is going to be a problem buyer, and therefore would rather not bother dealing with them. which is why it was take it or leave it without bothering taking it to MB garage. (Although a clever seller would take it there, get it inspected at the buyer cost and then when that buyer runs he can fix the faults himself or atleast know about them)

Sounds like the car needs a new battery and a brake lamp switch...

Poor attitude by the seller though... he should have fixed those and then asked another £1000.

And on top of that:

Rear subframe bushes and Air Mass Sensor at least. And then of cause there is a risk that you do all that but problems are much more serious than you first thought! So can easily spend £1k on the car and still have a car with problems that would have to be sold for £3.3k rather than current £2.3k.

Oh, even that completely empty windscreen fluid container might actually mean leak somewhere difficult and expensive to replace!

I think the seller is not an idiot and knows exactly what he is doing.

My complaint against him is that he lied repeatedly and he will probably sell this car to some victim as problem free car.

Last edited:
Its not economical to repair properly surely? (by a garage)
Needs to be run as a banger and sold at banger prices. Worth £1500 tops even with a few bits sorted on it.
These people getting big money for their's surprises me. I look forward to getting good money for mine in a few weeks - bet I don't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom