WARNING Pressed Metal Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A lot of delamination is no doubt caused by people drilling holes in the plates for fixing screws , or bending them around curved bumpers etc.

My front plate is slightly curved and both have been drilled for fixing screws, yet they've survived unscathed. I think it's more down to quality control during the construction process.

Seems to me that as technology increases, we have more rules & regulations to abide by!!:mad:
Bring back good old common sense, if you can read a plate by eye, then it should be ok!
I hate the way technology is steering our lives, the sooner someone sets off a 'Dirty Bomb' the better!!!:bannana:

Plastic plates don't delaminate if they're made properly. These have been on my car since I bought it nearly six years ago and still look as good as new:

frontrearplates.jpg

They look terrible, MOCAŠ! They don't show up the registration mark, and the background colour does not look at all even. I'd get some new ones sharpish if I were you. Pressed metal ones would not discolour like that...

They look terrible, MOCAŠ! They don't show up the registration mark, and the background colour does not look at all even. I'd get some new ones sharpish if I were you. Pressed metal ones would not discolour like that...

Ahhh, but Mocas has the ultimate private plate; no numbers or letters...

Seems simple enough to me and good on the Police for issuing the fine and not just issuing a warning which just leads to people thinking they can get away with it (IMHO).

An alternative opinion! The police have lost touch with the reason why we pay them such huge salaries and pensions! They should get off their backsides, and out of their luxury cars, and do some real policing. That means walking the beat, making our homes, children, and streets safer. Persecuting motorists for very minor offences is not what most people in this country consider a high police priority! My local shop has has been robbed so many times and the bank has even had the cash point pulled out of the wall and we still never see a copper walking the beat! However, that sort of real policing will not help them meet performance targets so it will never happen.

An alternative opinion! The police have lost touch with the reason why we pay them such huge salaries and pensions! .

Are you suggesting the Police write the law?

I think your post, however over dramatic and pointless it is, would be better directed to those politicians who decide what and what not the Police should be doing.

And, however much you feel they have lost touch, the number plate in this thread did not meet the legal requirements of a number plate. hence illegal.

So the Police have done the job that they get paid for.

Its not an alternative view you have posted. Its just wrong.

An alternative opinion! The police have lost touch with the reason why we pay them such huge salaries and pensions! They should get off their backsides, and out of their luxury cars, and do some real policing. That means walking the beat, making our homes, children, and streets safer. Persecuting motorists for very minor offences is not what most people in this country consider a high police priority! My local shop has has been robbed so many times and the bank has even had the cash point pulled out of the wall and we still never see a copper walking the beat! However, that sort of real policing will not help them meet performance targets so it will never happen.

The police are lazy, sitting in ANPR vans is far easier than going after the real criminals.

Seems to me that as technology increases, we have more rules & regulations to abide by!!:mad:
Bring back good old common sense, if you can read a plate by eye, then it should be ok!
I hate the way technology is steering our lives, the sooner someone sets off a 'Dirty Bomb' the better!!!:bannana:

Ignoring your apparent support for a terrorist act :thumb: I think you will find that an EMP bomb is what is needed to knock out technology and electrical supplies - not a dirty bomb.

ANPR has been sold as a defence against major crime and terrorism. So when the police do stop someone due to ANPR (metal plate vs plastic) and they quickly establish that person is not a drug dealer and the like, give that person a slap on the wrist not alienate them with a punitive fine.

Are those who drive unregistered, untaxed and uninsured cars not criminals?

They're not the ones that matter.

If the police made the effort to tackle real crime, then fine go after people with out of date tax discs and badly spaced number plates, but they are too lazy.

They're not the ones that matter.
...until one of them crashes into you.

If the police made the effort to tackle real crime, then fine go after people with out of date tax discs and badly spaced number plates, but they are too lazy.

They don't need to waste their time going after people with out of date tax discs any more, as the DVLA now have an effective way of dealing with that.

But if last week's Traffic Cops is anything to go by, we will see more people being stopped for having illegal number plates, tints, etc in future. Of course, if people didn't bother committing these vainglorious offences in the first place, the police would have more time to deal with other crime.

MOCAŠ;1251298But if last week's [I said:
Traffic Cops[/I] is anything to go by, we will see more people being stopped for having illegal number plates, tints, etc in future. Of course, if people didn't bother committing these vainglorious offences in the first place, the police would have more time to deal with other crime.

But the police *don't want to* deal with other crime, because it's harder work.

Are you suggesting the Police write the law?

I think your post, however over dramatic and pointless it is, would be better directed to those politicians who decide what and what not the Police should be doing.

And, however much you feel they have lost touch, the number plate in this thread did not meet the legal requirements of a number plate. hence illegal.

So the Police have done the job that they get paid for.

Its not an alternative view you have posted. Its just wrong.

LMAO:bannana: Spoken like a true police officer - no offence intended!

Of course, if people didn't bother committing these vainglorious offences in the first place, the police would have more time to deal with other crime.

That's true. But are they not capable of managing and prioritising their workload? Most people do this in their jobs, why not them too?

A policeman parked up monitoring passing cars spots a car with metal plates. Blues and Twos on, £60 later he pats himself on the back for a job well done. But with some imagination he could have identified a more serious crime and dealt with that.

Yes, they're just doing their job, but they can dictate what their job entails.

But the police *don't want to* deal with other crime, because it's harder work.

That's a pointlessly provocative comment. There may be a reluctance to tie up valuable resources investigating cases where there is little chance of finding the culprit (or, having done so, securing a conviction), but it is fatuous to claim that the police are only interested in motoring offences.

That's a pointlessly provocative comment. There may be a reluctance to tie up valuable resources investigating cases where there is little chance of finding the culprit (or, having done so, securing a conviction), but it is fatuous to claim that the police are only interested in motoring offences.

Anyone who has ever had cause to report a crime to the police would disgree.

The list of actual crime they are far to lazy to investigate is chilling.

That's true. But are they not capable of managing and prioritising their workload? Most people do this in their jobs, why not them too?

A policeman parked up monitoring passing cars spots a car with metal plates. Blues and Twos on, £60 later he pats himself on the back for a job well done. But with some imagination he could have identified a more serious crime and dealt with that.

Yes, they're just doing their job, but they can dictate what their job entails.

To some extent I agree with you. While I find programmes that follow the traffic police at work to be quite compulsive viewing, I have also questioned the value of some of the tactics used, especially lying in wait. However, what bothers me more is the belligerent attitude of some of those stopped, which seems to waste far more police time than would otherwise be the case.

Having said that, it's probably only the bolshier 'customers' that make it onto the screen, so most stops are probably handled quickly and efficiently.

Last edited:
I have to question the judgement (& obviously, taste) of anybody who feels a car's number plate is a suitable canvas for them to express their individuality or creativity. It is not.

If you feel the urge to express yourself creatively please write a poem, paint a picture, sing a song, do a little dance, throw a pot, carve some wood or something in a similar vein but FFS leave the number plate alone.

Anyone who has ever had cause to report a crime to the police would disgree.

The list of actual crime they are far to lazy to investigate is chilling.

I remember popping in to Kensington Police Station to pick up a shotgun certificate application. The owner of the cycle shop next door popped in to log a credit card fraud, solely to get a crime number for his insurers.

We were there in the end for 90 minutes, as they were too busy doing something else to hand me the form or log his report - he knew they weren't going to investigate it. During that time, his shop was closed.

When finally an officer turned up, he radiated that f**k you, I'm doing you a favour by being here attitude.

The police do themselves no favours, and I am a natural supporter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom