WARNING Pressed Metal Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Someone please define 'used properly' - beyond me , I'm afraid .

'The intelligent use of power'. If you give stupid people powers, then they will use them in a stupid way. Intelligent use of power would result in a caution for misdemeaners such as number plate technicalities. In fairness to the police, they are just a cross section of society so they do have their share of stupid people!

Innocent members of the public are regularly stopped on Vauxhall Bridge by armed police ( because it happens to be near the MI5 building ) supposedly as suspected terrorists when they are merely tourists , when terrorists could easily get pictures from Google Earth without even going near the place !

Perhaps it's just to tell them that they'd get a much better view of MI5's headquarters (Thames House) from Lambeth Bridge. (It's MI6 that's adjacent to Vauxhall Bridge... :D).

Seriously, though, do you think they'd allow anything compromising to remain readily available on Google Earth/Streetview when even nervous residents are having the stretch outside their houses removed? Terrorists tend to do their own reconnaissance.

"Royston is to become Britain’s first ‘ring of steel’ town as hidden cameras watch all routes, police have revealed.

Presumably this is other than the City of London ? ;)

Splitting hairs sir ....

So safe that a drugged-up, drunk driver of a cloned vehicle acting as a courier of a bootload of drugs will be able to waltz into the area as the police lower their guard.

They should be careful what they wish for ...

The cunning ones would used pressed steel cloned plates...

Does that include your own? :devil:

No Illegal plates on any of my cars sir (now):thumb: Volvo back on it's original plate awaiting the arrival of it's replacement :D Plate on retention and will be up for sale shortly :D Bought a perfectly legal one now. Before this event I might add.

Would you have been obliged to fail the guy's MOT because of the unlawful plates , had you known the legality at that time ?

Or is this not in the MOT guidebook ?

Hi Derek

The car was only in for service not MOT, but as in post #1 when I rang VOSA they confirmed that it would be a fail as the number plate would not be made from retroreflective material. So should he book his MOT with us we will advise him not to bring it with those plates :thumb:

Hi Derek

The car was only in for service not MOT, but as in post #1 when I rang VOSA they confirmed that it would be a fail as the number plate would not be made from retroreflective material. So should he book his MOT with us we will advise him not to bring it with those plates :thumb:

That's not what you are supposed to do. You are meant to test the car as presented, without any advice beforehand.
This is so VOSA get a clear picture of which cars pass or fail a test.

Hi Derek

Would it not be an idea to advise him anyway, bearing in mind that the police have already stopped the car now. Perhaps he still thinks there's nothing wrong with the plates, just as you did...

Well done on going legit with yours, by the way.

Last edited:
That's not what you are supposed to do. You are meant to test the car as presented, without any advice beforehand.
This is so VOSA get a clear picture of which cars pass or fail a test.

Good point Will, you are actually quite correct. Hopefully my experience in his car will mean he might actually change them himself in case he gets stopped by the same cop or one of his colleagues. So lets hope they are not on the car when (or if) we next see it again :thumb:

Would it not an idea to advise him anyway, bearing in mind that the police have already stopped the car now. Perhaps he still thinks there's nothing wrong with the plates, just as you did...

Well done on going legit with yours, by the way.

I did tell him when I dropped the car off as there is probably a good chance there is a marker against it now.

I went legit for a couple of reasons the cops are cracking down more on illegal plates, sooner or later it will become and endorseable offence and whilst I did like my plate I can see the tackyness aspect of it.

So I managed to get the consecutive plate to my MB which was still available at a bargain price from the DVLA . So will look nice on my new motor, whatever I go for in the end never had so much trouble choosing a new car :D

Not all, many sold on ebay etc are not even reflective, but those specific ones are legal. They are the plates the group buy is / was for.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gene...-german-style-metal-pressed-numberplates.html

Has anyone actually seen a certificate from BSI or TuV? Anyone can place a standard mark on basis that it is "manufactured so as to conform" but just having the mark does not actually mean it is legal / conforms to the standard.

I would if I was that interested, but pressed plates ain't my thing...

UK Legal pressed metal number plates ARE LEGAL

This is a very grey area. I have been doing a lot of research into this and can confirm they are very much legal.

BNMA is a member of the BSI panel which is revising the number plate standard BS AU 145d:1998 “Specification for retroreflecting number plates”. This task group also includes representatives from DfT, ACPO, Home Office and the Home Office Centre for Applied Science and Technology
The objective is to update this 1998 standard in the light of modern requirements and to update testing where appropriate in order to maintain performance standards.
This draft standard (BS AU 145e) will be available for consultation shortly. BNMA customers will see little change as most work has been around the perfomance of the reflective materials themselves. There is likely to be a requirement, however, that plate fixings should not intrude into the area of the plate containing the registration characters and that the characters should be uniform black in nature. This is intended to reinforce the existing requirement for fixings not to interfere with readings - see 11.3 of The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001. No reference will be made to character spacing and design, incidentally, as this is also fully covered in the 2001 Regulations.
The current standard is a performance standard and the panel is keen that it remains non-prescriptive ie the standard does not require the plates to be made of any particular materials as long as they meet the performance requirements - this is designed to encourage innovation by industry. This means for example that in effect that either plastic or metal plates can be used, and this principle will be carried forward into the new standard.

Secondly
SCHEDULE 2REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION PLATES
PART 1VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of—

(a)the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d(1), or

(b)any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.

3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

As confirmed by the DVLA and BNMA Pressed plates ARE allowed. This nonsence about steel or aluminium is not retroflective? Yes metal is not however pressed plates DO have the same 3M film on front of the plate that the acrylic ones have behind the clear arylic which may i add IS NOT RETROFLECTIVE EITHER! Its the plactic film on the rear of the acrylic.

As long as the plate conforms to BS AU 145d which will soon be changed to BS AU 145e which will still allow metal pressed plates on current vehicles. There must be no spacing or any silly fonts other than the prescribed and the number plates maker name and post code which can be a minimum of 2mm.
Finally ensure the plates are made from one of DVLA approved makers i.e Dubmeister.
This has been such a grey area for a long time. I have the highest respect for our police forces and they work really hard, however proper research of the law and understanding before £60 fines being issued.

Contact DVLA and the BNMA they will tell you the same thing
FAQs

Reactions: 219
This is a very grey area. I have been doing a lot of research into this and can confirm they are very much legal.

Really?

WGAS. It's a number plate FFS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom