Warning signals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S17MMA

Car
Soon to be ML 270 CDI
Guys does this sound right to you?

Read the emails (from bottom up) I have recieved below and tell me what you think..

Ok, thanks for the reply, i have agreed to pay your
asking price, we have mechanic that work on every car we
purchase so dont worry about vewing , so I will need your
details now to send cheque to, name and address, the
shipper fee will be included so once you get the cheque
you send the shipper their
fee and let them know the time you will be available for
the car
pick-up.willing to wait till cheque cleared.Alternatively
you can email your banking details for a swift payment.
Thanks
--- On Wed, 14/10/09, $17mma wrote:
Subject: Re: Enquiry about your advertised Mercedes C Class
To: [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, 14 October, 2009, 3:21 PM

Hello Albert

Thank you for your query, last price on this vehicle is £6599.

Sent: Wednesday, 14 October, 2009 16:02:49
Subject: Enquiry about your advertised Mercedes C Class

Dear S17MMA,

In response to your advertisement on ExchangeandMart.co.uk for your Mercedes C Class, we're delighted to send you the following enquiry from a potential buyer.

Enquirer's message:
Hello, Mate
I saw your advert when browsing the net, so I am Highly interested in
this (Vehicle).
so kindly let me know the condition and the last price to it. include
your
contact number when you reply.I will send you a cheque upon agreement of
price.I am shipping this to dublin so already make an arrangement with
the shipping company .
Albert

NO.

Ask your bank how long it takes for a cheque to FULLY clear. That is to say until the sender cannot under ANY circumstances CANCEL the cheque.
I think it takes MUCH longer than you would assume. A believe it could as long as 10 clear working days. So don't release the vehicle until that time has passed and your bank has confirmed the cheque has not only fully cleared into your account - but also CANNOT be stopped or revoked by the sender for any reason.

If it turns out to be a stolen cheque, can't the time limit be several months.?

Hmm, an irish man who writes like he is from Eastern Europe. I believe there is a loophole that lets funds transferred from foreign bank accounts to be transferred back for some considerable period afterwards - certainly long after you think it is safe to release the car.

Whatever, this is a scam without a doubt. Nobody buys any car sight unseen.

From the Honest John website:
"The same goes for callers and e-mailers from overseas offering to transfer much more cash than you are asking to your account on the understanding that you will pay some of it to their agent in the UK. It's a money laundering scam, picked up by the banks long ago, but the scammers have even taken advantage of that. Money could appear in your account and on the strength of it you could pay some of it to the 'agent' as well as consign your car. Then, a few days later, the original credit to your account is cancelled as 'suspect' and the funds returned to the sender. So you have lost your car and the money you paid to the agent. You would never be so foolish, would you?"

Plenty on this scam on the internet.

I agree with the others, it has scam written all over it.

leave well alone, defo scam!

think about it... why would he pay you then expect you to pay the shipping?

tell him to fly over as you want to do the deal face to face in cash else the deals off, bet you dont here from him again!

From the Honest John website:
"The same goes for callers and e-mailers from overseas offering to transfer much more cash than you are asking to your account on the understanding that you will pay some of it to their agent in the UK. It's a money laundering scam, picked up by the banks long ago, but the scammers have even taken advantage of that. Money could appear in your account and on the strength of it you could pay some of it to the 'agent' as well as consign your car. Then, a few days later, the original credit to your account is cancelled as 'suspect' and the funds returned to the sender. So you have lost your car and the money you paid to the agent. You would never be so foolish, would you?"

Plenty on this scam on the internet.

Yeah I have heard about loads of these, mainly from Nigeria asking people to pay this and that into their accounts for a fee lmao...

I had a feeling it was dodgy, always gotta follow the istincts!

lad across the road tryed to sell his gti via autotrader got a simular type of email and recieved a cheque through the post, went to bank it and was told that the signature on the banks systerm didn't match the signature on the cheque as it had come from a stolen cheque book. so fair enough no sale..
got another email from another seller saying he wanted to buy the car for "work" and his boss needed to see it could he hold the car if they sent a deposit, so the cheque arrives and off he go,s to the bank and yes you have guessed it another dud!!, but this time the police are called and he.s taken to the police station, questioned, his laptop collected from his home address as they thought he was part of a money laundering gang.
so be very carefull

Hmm, an irish man who writes like he is from Eastern Europe. I believe there is a loophole that lets funds transferred from foreign bank accounts to be transferred back for some considerable period afterwards - certainly long after you think it is safe to release the car.

Whatever, this is a scam without a doubt. Nobody buys any car sight unseen.

You would think so wouldnt you lol, it how I ended up with my CLK lol

It looks like new kind of money laundering... or "classical" Nigeria scam?
I have a experience about similar style of money laundering - somebody ordered a goods, paid for it, but few days after that (in cancel period) he cancelled order, but he wanted money refund to another account...

The text of the message even has a Nigerian accent.

Do what he says, and he gets a free car and free shipping. You, on the other hand, may be able to afford a small wooden frame in which to display your cheque.

How did your scam detector not go off when you got the first email? There is no mention at all of the car. None of the Qs you'd expect from a real buyer. If that doesn't show you that it's a cut-n-paste 'offer' being sent to hundreds of other sellers from an Internet cafe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom