Warning to E211/S211 owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
I have done 26000 miles so far and due a second service at about 28000 miles.

As I am driving to Copenhagen this weekend I cleaned the car and in doing so took off the wheels at the weekend. I checked the brake pads and discs at the same time. I was horrified to see the rear nearside pad down on the metal backing and the disc was badly worn??? :eek: :eek:

The other side rear pad was OK as were the fronts, all about 1/4 inch left to go. So the question arose WHY? The frightening thing is that there are NO PAD WEAR INDICATORS on the rear. :eek: :eek: They would not have lasted to the service and I would have had a 1000 mile journey to do each way to Copenhagen.

Took the car into Stealer and they changed the rear pads and discs at an enormous fee of £378. :crazy: They also could not explain the uneven wear, they suggested caliper seizure, but this was not proven when they stripped it down. I spoke to the Service Manager this morning explaining my concern at the unusual wear pattern, and he said it was possible to wear like this due to the individual electronic braking system on these cars?? I am still not convinced, but without proof cannot answer the question myself.

The thing for all you owners therefore is to check, or have checked, your rear as well as your front pads, as you will not get any warning of trouble. You will however have a large bill!!! :crazy:

Has anyone else had their rear or front pads changed on a E211/S211 and if so at what mileage??

I had mine serviced at 22,000 miles just before I sold it, they told me the pads were just under half worn and I would start to get a warning light soon - a warning to say they were half worn :crazy:

I can't remember whether they referred to the front or back or both.

Disks at 26k seems a bit harsh.

Brian WH said:
I have done 26000 miles so far and due a second service at about 28000 miles.

As I am driving to Copenhagen this weekend I cleaned the car and in doing so took off the wheels at the weekend. I checked the brake pads and discs at the same time. I was horrified to see the rear nearside pad down on the metal backing and the disc was badly worn??? :eek: :eek:

The other side rear pad was OK as were the fronts, all about 1/4 inch left to go. So the question arose WHY? The frightening thing is that there are NO PAD WEAR INDICATORS on the rear. :eek: :eek: They would not have lasted to the service and I would have had a 1000 mile journey to do each way to Copenhagen.

Took the car into Stealer and they changed the rear pads and discs at an enormous fee of £378. :crazy: They also could not explain the uneven wear, they suggested caliper seizure, but this was not proven when they stripped it down. I spoke to the Service Manager this morning explaining my concern at the unusual wear pattern, and he said it was possible to wear like this due to the individual electronic braking system on these cars?? I am still not convinced, but without proof cannot answer the question myself.

The thing for all you owners therefore is to check, or have checked, your rear as well as your front pads, as you will not get any warning of trouble. You will however have a large bill!!! :crazy:

Has anyone else had their rear or front pads changed on a E211/S211 and if so at what mileage??

ours were still fine after 36k and 14months in the 220 cdi estate we sold in may.

Mine is on 44k now and the backs have just started squealing like little pigs again. This will be my third set of pads and I too asked why if the rears wear so quick due to sensotronic are the rear pads not fitted with sensors. I just got blank looks.

Jason,

How did you manage to get so many miles out of the pads :confused:
Or do I drive like a bloody idiot :rolleyes:

Brian,I've got a W210 and realy fancy the W211 but am saddened to hear your problem.I can't beleive ther are no sensors fitted. My love affair with Mrecedes is slowly being erroded. :( Am i right in feeling this way? :( Is there a new version of the W211 and if so, what improvements,if any, have been made.I'm way off being in the position of changing mine as yet but really thought that your model had everything, looks,engineering, etc.Are Mercedes realy losing the plot? :crazy:

Webby said:
Brian,I've got a W210 and realy fancy the W211 but am saddened to hear your problem.I can't beleive ther are no sensors fitted. My love affair with Mrecedes is slowly being erroded. :( Am i right in feeling this way? :( Is there a new version of the W211 and if so, what improvements,if any, have been made.I'm way off being in the position of changing mine as yet but really thought that your model had everything, looks,engineering, etc.Are Mercedes realy losing the plot? :crazy:

I had a W210 before this, and this is miles better in lots of ways. BUT looks like I could be starting to pay for its TOYS?? :eek:

marcos said:
Jason,

How did you manage to get so many miles out of the pads :confused:
Or do I drive like a bloody idiot :rolleyes:

Just driving easy , im not hard on the brakes. looking ahead and letting the car slow down etc.

The 210 estate before this got to 46k on its original factory discs and pads without any wear sensors coming on when we sold it.

5 series recons its 26k for pads according to the i drive screen ... ill let you know if that changes.

fuzzer said:
Just driving easy , im not hard on the brakes. looking ahead and letting the car slow down etc.

The 210 estate before this got to 46k on its original factory discs and pads without any wear sensors coming on when we sold it.

5 series recons its 26k for pads according to the i drive screen ... ill let you know if that changes.

I got excellent mileage out of the W210 rear, never changed before I got rid at 52000, replaced fronts though about 30000.

Mind you I forgot to mention - Mine has been round Bruntingthorpe? ;)

Slightly OT I know but how long does it take you to get to copenhagen (driving) ? I only ask as I'm going that way in August via Eurotunnel.
Cheers
Les

DITTRICH said:
Slightly OT I know but how long does it take you to get to copenhagen (driving) ? I only ask as I'm going that way in August via Eurotunnel.
Cheers
Les

I am also going via Eurotunnel, bu actually stopping off at Brugges and near Hamburg overnight.

If I went direct it would be about 17.5 hours plus stops for 964miles.

Brian WH said:
Mind you I forgot to mention - Mine has been round Bruntingthorpe? ;)

All that braking before the bends Brian. Mind, take my advice and it could have been your tyres that were worn oddly!

Isn't it standard for rear pads not to have wear sensors? I don't really understand your concern other than your luck identifying shot pads prior to your trip.

GrahamC230K said:
All that braking before the bends Brian. Mind, take my advice and it could have been your tyres that were worn oddly!

Isn't it standard for rear pads not to have wear sensors? I don't really understand your concern other than your luck identifying shot pads prior to your trip.

My concern is that normally the fronts wear out first. The rears in my experience are usually picked up at a service as they wear slowly and not likely to cause a problem. Two fronts to one rear set of pads would be my normal expectation.

Must say that I am surprised to hear that the rear pads have worn out before the front. My only assumption for this (and more importantly, the uneven wear) is that it might be the result of one of your vehicle's handling systems. Ie, using the concerned brake to assist with traction issues?

If this is the case, it must be doing some serious work, and if this is true, it would be prudent for MB to look at fitting wear sensors all round as a matter of safety?

Also, I agree with Brian. Front discs/pads would virtually always wear first, and two sets of front pads to one set of rears does sound typical.

Good thing you caught it before the long trip Brian, another reason why I would check or have checked a vehicle before such a long trip :)

Will

Hi,

The reason for the rear pads wearing quicker and possible uneven side to side has to do with ESP. When pulling away quickly it is very easy to induce wheelspin with MB's latest rear suspension geometry. When the ABS/BAS/ESP system senses wheelspin, it will in first instance brake the spinning wheel. I think that when it brakes just 1 wheel, it does not flash the orange triangle. If you still keep the boot in, it will start braking other wheels and cutting engine power. The same applies when accelerating round a corner.

Different wear rate of pads within 1 caliper normally points to pad sticking in caliper, stuck caliper or air in the caliper on one side. It is easy for air to appear in the caliper. When the brakes are used hard or the ESP is working hard, it is possible for brake fluid in the side of the caliper that gets the least moving air around it to boil locally. When the fluid boils it will produce air bubbles. These will sit in the caliper with nowhere to go until bled or fluid replacement.

regards,

Job

My inside rear always wears much more quickly as it is the wheel which spins the most easily (not sure if that is down to camber or the diff). The ESP theory might have some weight to it.

jgevers said:
The reason for the rear pads wearing quicker and possible uneven side to side has to do with ESP. When pulling away quickly it is very easy to induce wheelspin with MB's latest rear suspension geometry. When the ABS/BAS/ESP system senses wheelspin, it will in first instance brake the spinning wheel. I think that when it brakes just 1 wheel, it does not flash the orange triangle. If you still keep the boot in, it will start braking other wheels and cutting engine power. The same applies when accelerating round a corner.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the interesting post. I note that you have had 'one' enjoyable experience around Bruntingthorpe, but apart from that would you describe yourself as perhaps having a slightly heavy right foot? I am certainly NOT criticising your driving, I am merely a concerned owner looking for an explanation.

Your post cannot be ignored and like most folks I would expect the fronts to wear far quicker than the rears.

'Jobs' post as usual is very informative and I wonder if the fluid actually did get very hot during your navigating the Bruntingthorpe track?

Thanks again for the post and I will certainly have our vehicle checked out.

Regards,
John

..............remember it snowed a couple of months ago;)

glojo said:
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the interesting post. I note that you have had 'one' enjoyable experience around Bruntingthorpe, but apart from that would you describe yourself as perhaps having a slightly heavy right foot? I am certainly NOT criticising your driving, I am merely a concerned owner looking for an explanation.

Your post cannot be ignored and like most folks I would expect the fronts to wear far quicker than the rears.

'Jobs' post as usual is very informative and I wonder if the fluid actually did get very hot during your navigating the Bruntingthorpe track?

Thanks again for the post and I will certainly have our vehicle checked out.

Regards,
John

John - Apart from the odd "burn up with the boys", I don't overstretch my car as being an Engineer I appreciate the problems it could bring, and the costs. Even more reason why I am intrigued by the problem I had.
Yes I think as I said before that the electronic braking could have contributed, and Bruntingthorpe didn't help i am sure, but I would have still expected the fronts to be lower than the back.

The reason for the post is that you should be aware of a possible problem and I agree check your vehicle. Better to be safe than sorry eh.

Brian WH said:
The reason for the post is that you should be aware of a possible problem and I agree check your vehicle. Better to be safe than sorry eh.

Totally 100% agree and thanks again for taking the time to inform us.

Much appreciated,
John

ESP is the reason for uneven wear.

My W211 has just been serviced at 33,800 miles - the pads hadn't even half worn. Granted I do a lot of motorway cruising so perhaps thats it - or perhaps I'm not harsh on the brakes !

On the drive btw, we went via Eurotunnel to the south of france, drove all the way in one go. Took 11.5 hours. Car reported 811 miles journey - obviously it couldn't report the eurotunnel !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom