Warning - W124 320 CE front brake discs pre and post 1993 facelift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HowardP

Car
1989 C126 420 SEC (SOLD); 1985 W123 200 (SOLD); 1993 W124 320 CE CABRIOLET; 2012 W246 B180
I may be preaching to the converted, but in case anyone needs to know, the front brake disc thickness changed in mid 1993 from 22mm to 25mm, meaning the later, thicker, discs cannot be used on pre-facelift cars, because the calipers will not fit over them. Don't ask how I found out!

Unfortunately websites such as that for Euro car Parts only ask the year, not the month, and it transpires they only sell the thicker discs for the post-facelift cars.

The goods news is that my local dealer was able to supply the correct discs, and at a lower price than ECP charged for the wrong ones, so a result, eventually!

The ECP catalog is riddled with inaccuracies and vague entries. However, in the case of things like discs it usually mentions the dimensions so if you know what you have, you can get the right parts. The problem comes when you don't know what you have...

It is always worth checking with the dealership for a quote on brakes.

On another vehicle that I own, the dealership price for disks was far cheaper that ECP with all of their discounts.

In that particular instance I also had an issue with disk diameter as there were several options, which ECP were unable to answer and were extremely vague.

The dealership part as expected was spot on when it came to fitment.

Since you are clearly a man of impeccable taste and a new member on here allow me to share this with you...
Thanks to Sir Dave, Boise, ID, USA commonly known as gsxr.

Attachments

• Brakes 124_brakes b.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Since you are clearly a man of impeccable taste and a new member on here allow me to share this with you...
Thanks to Sir Dave, Boise, ID, USA commonly known as gsxr.

Thanks for that - someone clearly has been very busy!

I eventually got the correct 22mm thick discs from the dealer, so everything is back together again. Apparently the EPC does not show dimensions and when the it was set up it seems someone in Germany was less than diligent in tying up the changeover with the correct VIN, resulting in me getting the later 25mm discs, again!

Thank Dave too Howard, you'll find him on the net. Absolute gentleman, and very competent with the tech-info as you can see.
Don't be too quick to blame a mistake in the EPC, sometimes the person driving it messes up too, and then just blames the EPC.
Incidentally where on the rotor is the part number, do you know...?

My local dealer only found the correct part number after ignoring the VIN and using the only other number available. However, I did then give him the existing part number, which I found on the outer face, after some vigorous activity with emery cloth. Gratuitous picture included:
P1040660.JPG

You didn't buy that from a certain Indian/English Gentleman did you by any chance...

You didn't buy that from a certain Indian/English Gentleman did you by any chance...
No, I bought it from a dealer in Maidenhead.

Interestingly enough our Computer catalogue lists upto chassis B862121 22mm, and from chassis B862122 25mm

Yes I think that is what the SS shows in the last two columns...??

I wonder if it is Dillion's?? ex car, The Boss, on here. Stunning car! even if it isn't it certainly looks like a stunner. :)

Yes I think that is what the SS shows in the last two columns...??

I wonder if it is Dillion's?? ex car, The Boss, on here. Stunning car! even if it isn't it certainly looks like a stunner. :)
Thank you for the compliment. I have no idea of previous ownership unfortunately because there were no invoices with the car, only a Service Booklet. Only 4 owners in 25 years though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom