Warp factor discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim203

Drove our C class today which made a pleasant change as normally my wife drives it on a daily basis.I bought the Benz cos it looks nice, had more room than a 3 or an A4 and was an auto. As my better half uses most of the major controls like an on off switch I decided an auto to be the way forward in terms of mechanical sympathy and general wear and tear!
Pulling off the motorway I noticed the start of a bit of warp on the front discs. Thinking about some of the posts on brakes shuddering it occurred to me autos must be more prone to disc warp than manuals- for one simple reason. You come off the motorway, come to a stop and don't take your foot off the pedal cos it'lll creep forward. As most people are aware staying on the anchors after a fast stop chills the discs unevenly and can lead to warping. The C class's brakes are faultless in my opinion with loads of progressive power for not much pedal pressure. With my previous manuals I consciously handbrake neutrallled at stops ( to spare the thrust bearings on the clutch and the crankshaft as well as saving the brakes) and never suffered disc warp. I guess in future I'll have to stop short on the slip road and come off the brakes and roll forward a tad to help prevent this or apply the parking brake and engage neutral but I' m still not that used to the foot brake yet( even though it's a great thing). Interested to hear on others opinions on this?

Much more likely to be uneven brake material deposits on the surface of the disc. The chances of warping a brake disc are about as even as beaming up to the starship enterprise.

Yep after long or heavy braking get the pads off the disc ASAP, dead easy in a manual more tricky in an auto and guess you would have to use the parking brake

Take the disc off and put it on a flat surface, see if it rocks. That'll show if it's warped or not (probably not).

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll put it on the lift this week and give them a clean and put a clock on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom