Warped discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How long ago (time wise) were the brakes replaced ?

I would have thought that a main dealer repair would carry at least a 12 month warranty so fire the ball back into their court.

K
There does seem something odd about all of this 🤔

How long ago (time wise) were the brakes replaced ?

I would have thought that a main dealer repair would carry at least a 12 month warranty so fire the ball back into their court.

K
October last year. The problem I have is the Dealer who changed the discs and pads is in Ashford, Kent and I'm in Reading, Berkshire. Such a ball ache and I have zero confidence they will get it right this time if they've not managed to get it right the previous two times.

This is the same car and same issue.

Yet it took several thousand miles to show!
To clarify, my local MB dealership (not same group) spotted it when I first took it in for investigation but they did say it may or not be the reason but they would start with that and see. I don't remember the selling dealer telling me what problem they found but that they changed discs and pads all round.

Bought a clk recently, brakes were ok initially then started to get the usual brake judder which I've had on all my mercs, all pads needed replacing which was a breeze apart from the passenger side front this time (it's normally the rears in my experience) due to a sticky caliper piston. Managed to get the piston back in to get the new pads in and all was well for a couple of weeks then slowly but surely the judder started again as I expected. I do 800 miles a week in the car so the judder always returns between 1000 and 2000 miles after pads replaced. Replacing all or offending calipers is always my fix

^^^ Leng You are new here. Are you telling us you have had 3 MB cars and 3 all have had the 'usual' brake judder ? Which 'usual' brake judder is this you speak of ?

I am sure here are members on here who have owned many MB cars and experienced zero 'judder' in their braking systems ...ever.

Please enlighten us with your experience.

was that in response to my post?
Yes I'm abit confused as you think all MB have "the dreaded brake judder" I've never had it on any of mine and if I did I wouldn't be changing pads every 1k miles?

^^^ Leng You are new here. Are you telling us you have had 3 MB cars and 3 all have had the 'usual' brake judder ? Which 'usual' brake judder is this you speak of ?

I am sure here are members on here who have owned many MB cars and experienced zero 'judder' in their braking systems ...ever.

Please enlighten us with your experience.
I've had more than 3, I've had mercs long before I started posting on here, just to clarify if you replace pads alone the problem will return within 1000 to 2000 miles, from my experience. If I have to have a billion posts to add my experiences then that's probably why I've stayed off forums for so long

I’ve never had brake judder on any car I’ve owned, Mercedes, BMW’s and even Ford’s. I have always changed my own pads and discs over the last 40 years, I have never experienced the problem and would be keen to know why it occurs. It must be one calliper or disc at fault, it shouldn’t be necessary to change everything.

I’ve never had brake judder on any car I’ve owned, Mercedes, BMW’s and even Ford’s. I have always changed my own pads and discs over the last 40 years, I have never experienced the problem and would be keen to know why it occurs. It must be one calliper or disc at fault, it shouldn’t be necessary to change everything.
I have experienced it once, it was on a Mercedes C Class but it was due to wear in the lower suspension arms bushing the

As in not making sense, confused time lines etc etc.
Not really sure what you mean by confused time lines etc. the timeline of problems with the brake judder are as follows.
Bought car late May 2021. late August I noticed a slight judder for the first time which would have been about 2000 miles driven. I didn't get it seen to straight away as it wasn't that bad. My mistake as we went France in it on the 1st September and the problem got worse but we were away for about 3 weeks. The only good thing was that we were taking the ferry from Bilbao to Portsmouth so not having to drive much on motorways. When I got back I started to get it sorted. Rear brake pads and discs changed by local MB dealer late September which didn't work so the selling dealer had it back mid October and changed the fronts as well. all good until now. when I bought it there were about 36000 miles on the clock and now there are about 43000.

I have experienced it once, it was on a Mercedes C Class but it was due to wear in the lower suspension arms bushing the
My problem is that I have zero mechanical knowledge which is where these forums come in handy. I feel like I need to tell MB what problem they should be looking for which is obviously ridiculous but seeing as they have tried and failed twice to rectify it, 3 times if you count the brake changes before I bought it!!!

My problem is that I have zero mechanical knowledge which is where these forums come in handy. I feel like I need to tell MB what problem they should be looking for which is obviously ridiculous but seeing as they have tried and failed twice to rectify it, 3 times if you count the brake changes before I bought it!!!
Main dealers tend to be excellent or not interested.

Either the mating surfaces are not being correctly prepared causing the disc to not run true (unlikely as this should be apparent straightaway) or the problem isn't brake related and needs proper investigation.

I would be tempted to find a recommended independent close to you. They have a reputation to maintain, Dealers will get work regardless.

OP,

1- Write a nice letter to MB customer services in Milton Keynes, you appear to have many grievances with dealer - stick to fact.

2- Go back to the dealer and ask they fix it. The hub needs be wire brushed and spotless for a disk. This is a job they would have gave to a trainee mechanic.

3- If you sell the car on to another dealer, the issue will be be logged.

4- falling out of love with a car is not the fault of shoddy workmanship.

5.dealers are hit and miss but standards have dropped in my 30 years of MB owneship. Now yoi could get a crap service manager, who gives the job to a idle mechanic, the car is then washed by person with a sandy bucket. Back in the day your point of contact was the mechanic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom