Warrant Yes / No?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesPGUK

Car
C220 AMG PPlus 2015 & 2016 GLC 250 PPlus
Used GLC purchased 4 months ago from MB with 25k miles. Car is 4 years old.
Finally after EML coming on on way home 4 months later NOx sensor being replaced at a local MB garage.

I asked MB to check wipers (which I did within a 2 days of purchase) due to noise. I believe wiper noise is a common problem and doubt blades will fix the issue but appreciate the process. Mb said wipers ok within 1st week getting EML checked. Still makes noise so while changing NOx they now say blades need to be replaced. I asked why the charge they are covered under Mot guarantee (fail mot we cover parts) and come on why it’s a new purchase. Mb said we didn’t do an MOT charge stands. Does that sound right to forum members? We cover you for mot but if it fails before your on your own.

Mirror with 365 camera. Puddle light not working. Common fault. MB suggests not covered under warranty. Is that right? They said it’s a light so not covered. Never worked since purchase.

New front tyres on purchase. Already been in for crabbing by previous owner. my experience wear on outside and measured 3 times by MB to demonstrate the wear. With the excessive wear and with the tyre unlikely to meet life will mb replace arms under warranty?

Always want to charge for courtesy car. Mb site suggests when in for warranty work upto £100 per day is acceptable. Mb still try and charge us. We drove home from purchase and EML came on. We asked for a car and they wanted a fee because we didn’t buy from them. I believe any MB garage represents MB, but all they want to do is charge. It’s a new purchase you’d think they would want to get it fixed.
Contacted MB and they are contacting place of purchase and local dealer to resolve.
Still in courtesy car which we don’t want while mb corporate resolve. Local garage not impressed but Mb said leave it with them to resolve and quote ref number to local. Really don’t like local garage approach but they have all the garages within 30 - 50 miles.

Always appreciate any help!

The situation with warranty for a second-hand car purchase is complicated, and MB complicate it further.

In a nutshell, your purchase is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, according to which any fault found withing the first 6 months of ownership is deemed to have existed at the time of purchase (unless the seller can prove otherwise), and should be repaired at no cost to the new owner. However, your statutory rights apply only in respect of the trader who actually sold you the car (the supplying dealer).

Then, in addition to your statutory rights as per above, MB are offering an additional warranty called Approved Used Warranty. You can claim on this warranty at any MB dealer (and regardless of which dealer the car was actually purchased from). However, this additional warranty is limited in its scope has very specific T&C, and also it will only cover faults that developed during your ownership, I.e. that didn't exist at the time of sale.

In respect of the wipers, for example, if they were defective at the time of sale, then this should have been picked-up by the supplying dealer and sorted prior to you collecting the car. If they were fine but deteriorated under your ownership, then it's wear and tear and not covered by the Approved Used warranty. Either way, if your local dealer did not supply the car, then the wipers are not their problem. The MOT warranty is a separate issue, and, you're right in saying that it only kicks-in if the car actually failed an MOT test.

Sadly your predicament is not uncommon, and made worse by the fact that it seems that too many dealers do not actually carry-out the pre delivery inspection properly, and quite a few Approved Used cars leave the forecourt with faults that should have been picked-up and sorted prior to delivery.

What I suggest you do, is make a list if all the issues that the local dealer said won't be covered by warranty, then email it to the supplying dealer and insist that these need to be rectified by them FOC under the Consumer Protection Act 2015. Don't let them fob you off with arguments regarding the Approved Used warranty, instead insist that you are NOT claiming on the MB Approved Used warranty, and that your statutory rights are not affected by the T&C of any additional warranty offered by MB anyway.

If you manage to cross the first hurdle and the supplying dealer agrees to repair some or all of the faults, then try asking them to allow you to have the car repaired at your local dealer, with them picking-up the tab and paying your local dealer for the repair directly.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I've used MB Tonbridge for my warranty work previously, and whilst I've never bought any of my cars from them (although I did buy a CL from MB Gatwick which is the same dealer group), they have never charged me for a loan car.

A lot of the issues, which the dealer you are currently using will not cover, should be covered by the supplying dealer. Things like lights are not covered which is the case.

Although I've had this scenario in the past (i.e. "going back to the supplying dealer") with MB York who covered some things but other things they wouldn't cover even though they were clearly not right from purchase.

They basically expect you to inspect the car, which is exactly why you buy an approve used car in the first place, so a disappointing experience from them although not surprised.

I've read plenty of comments about JCT600 so I'd never use them or any of their network again - most people I spoke to were totally unhelpful and disinterested but again, didn't need to be sat down for that revelation.

Fortunately one of the things they would not cover failed totally and got replaced under warranty anyway.

Good luck with your issues but you will have to persist and you will have a fight on your hands.

That's how it is with crap dealers.

I've used MB Tonbridge for my warranty work previously, and whilst I've never bought any of my cars from them (although I did buy a CL from MB Gatwick which is the same dealer group), they have never charged me for a loan car.

A lot of the issues, which the dealer you are currently using will not cover, should be covered by the supplying dealer. Things like lights are not covered which is the case.

Although I've had this scenario in the past (i.e. "going back to the supplying dealer") with MB York who covered some things but other things they wouldn't cover even though they were clearly not right from purchase.

They basically expect you to inspect the car, which is exactly why you buy an approve used car in the first place, so a disappointing experience from them although not surprised.

I've read plenty of comments about JCT600 so I'd never use them or any of their network again - most people I spoke to were totally unhelpful and disinterested but again, didn't need to be sat down for that revelation.

Fortunately one of the things they would not cover failed totally and got replaced under warranty anyway.

Good luck with your issues but you will have to persist and you will have a fight on your hands.

That's how it is with crap dealers.
Thanks for taking the time to respond appreciated!

The situation with warranty for a second-hand car purchase is complicated, and MB complicate it further.

In a nutshell, your purchase is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, according to which any fault found withing the first 6 months of ownership is deemed to have existed at the time of purchase (unless the seller can prove otherwise), and should be repaired at no cost to the new owner. However, your statutory rights apply only in respect of the trader who actually sold you the car (the supplying dealer).

Then, in addition to your statutory rights as per above, MB are offering an additional warranty called Approved Used Warranty. You can claim on this warranty at any MB dealer (and regardless of which dealer the car was actually purchased from). However, this additional warranty is limited in its scope has very specific T&C, and also it will only cover faults that developed during your ownership, I.e. that didn't exist at the time of sale.

In respect of the wipers, for example, if they were defective at the time of sale, then this should have been picked-up by the supplying dealer and sorted prior to you collecting the car. If they were fine but deteriorated under your ownership, then it's wear and tear and not covered by the Approved Used warranty. Either way, if your local dealer did not supply the car, then the wipers are not their problem. The MOT warranty is a separate issue, and, you're right in saying that it only kicks-in if the car actually failed an MOT test.

Sadly your predicament is not uncommon, and made worse by the fact that it seems that too many dealers do not actually carry-out the pre delivery inspection properly, and quite a few Approved Used cars leave the forecourt with faults that should have been picked-up and sorted prior to delivery.

What I suggest you do, is make a list if all the issues that the local dealer said won't be covered by warranty, then email it to the supplying dealer and insist that these need to be rectified by them FOC under the Consumer Protection Act 2015. Don't let them fob you off with arguments regarding the Approved Used warranty, instead insist that you are NOT claiming on the MB Approved Used warranty, and that your statutory rights are not affected by the T&C of any additional warranty offered by MB anyway.

If you manage to cross the first hurdle and the supplying dealer agrees to repair some or all of the faults, then try asking them to allow you to have the car repaired at your local dealer, with them picking-up the tab and paying your local dealer for the repair directly.

Good luck.
Thanks for taking the time to respond really appreciated!

I have had similar issues with some MB garages to the point I had to go in and make a lot of noise and eventually sorted it.

Put in a formal complaint via e-mail to the dealer principal of that garage where you bought it and call their bluff by threatening legal action. You can then take your complaint to the motor ombudsman. Their website states:

However, if the vehicle is found to be defective outside the first 30 days of purchase, you may request:

• A rejection of the vehicle if the trader has exhausted their “one shot” at repair ( the seller would be entitled to make a reasonable deduction for your use of the vehicle);
  • To keep the vehicle in its defective state, in exchange for an appropriate price reduction, if the trader has exhausted their one shot at repair; or
  • To be awarded a like-for-like replacement vehicle.
Don't be fobbed of as from my experience a lot of garages don't take ownership of issues and regardless of what the t&c of the warranty you wouldn't expect this number of issues with a car of this age and mileage.

Other option is take it to an independent MB garage and ask them for a report on their findings which you will most likely need to pay for to strengthen your case.

Good luck.
An excellent response.

I just checked the warranty booklet and the MOT cover only comes into effect if it fails a MOT within 30 days of it’s due date. Plus it’s worded under parts that are covered windscreen wipers and washers ( excluding blades & rubbers) so It seems you would have to pay irrespective if your MOT was due or not.

I just checked the warranty booklet and the MOT cover only comes into effect if it fails a MOT within 30 days of it’s due date. Plus it’s worded under parts that are covered windscreen wipers and washers ( excluding blades & rubbers) so It seems you would have to pay irrespective if your MOT was due or not.
Wipers were defective at the start. We filmed the noise on way home from purchase and raised it at local dealer. No fault found. In essence I believe the GLC has wiper issues which is my main concern. Likelihood I will nudge the place of purchase to cover the cost however I suspect when changed FOC the noise will remain. Fingers crossed it won’t.
Mot I noted wiper and blades are covered. Exclusions
friction material relating to wear. Wipers look in good condition just noisy.

That said I still need tyre wear sorting and mirror puddle light so it’s going to be a fun week.

Update. Wipers cost covered by purchase dealer. Won’t cover puddle mirror light, I’ve yet to discuss this with the purchase dealer and will be surprised if they say no. Will use section 75 (we paid £500 deposit on CC) or consumer rights act via ombudsman if I have any issues. Agreed to change knuckles under warranty. Suggested 2 days for knuckles.

Won’t cover puddle mirror light, I’ve yet to discuss this with the purchase dealer and will be surprised if they say no.

My wording was poor in my previous post. Puddle lights (and lights in general) are not covered under warranty so this should be covered by the supplying dealer.

My wording was poor in my previous post. Puddle lights (and lights in general) are not covered under warranty so this should be covered by the supplying dealer.
Changed mirror and door light. Only because I bought the car from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom