Warranty, again....

Which warranty company do you recommend?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chord

Car
M3, SLK350
Looking at getting a newer used car and while doing research it appears that with most newer cars (<4 year old W211 or E60) a warranty would be a good idea. So I wanted to know which warranty company people recommended?

I also see that Warranty Wise etc are doing wear and tear policies, anyone have any experience of these?

On another post, someone said they managed to haggle up to mb dealer labour rates, and also managed to get the provider to drop the wear and tear clause...
I think mb tier 1 still tips the scales; purely because of how much I have availed of them... ;-)
I somehow don't think anyone else would have paid out ~£7500 without any hassles...

I think mb tier 1 still tips the scales; purely because of how much I have availed of them... ;-)
I somehow don't think anyone else would have paid out ~£7500 without any hassles...

Very true, but from what I can gather most manufacturer warranties come in around ~1k. Which is a lot to add every year to the running costs of you car.

I have a warranty from Recall Direct / Warranty Management Services provided with my 16 year old W124. They were extremely prompt agreeing a claim for a head gasket, not the full cost, but a slightly lower labour rate and no consumables, and when I submitted the claim for reimbursement, I received payment by return. Recommended.

No idea about wear and tear, but frankly with insurance the greater the probability of payout the more expensive it gets to buy cover.

Yeah this year's is going to be ~ 980£ to renew with MB :crazy:

I have a warranty from Recall Direct / Warranty Management Services provided with my 16 year old W124. They were extremely prompt agreeing a claim for a head gasket, not the full cost, but a slightly lower labour rate and no consumables, and when I submitted the claim for reimbursement, I received payment by return. Recommended.

No idea about wear and tear, but frankly with insurance the greater the probability of payout the more expensive it gets to buy cover.

Is there a total milege/annual mileage limit with your warranty?

My warranty is about to expire so have been looking in to aftermarket warranties. Have a look at the Wheeler Dealers warranty. They cover things as standard that other warranties do not like turbochargers. Also covers wear and tear for cars upto 5yrs old.

https://www.wheelerdealerwarranties.com/

Last edited:
Is there a total milege/annual mileage limit with your warranty?

Can't see one on a quick look, the only condition is obviously maintaining the car correctly.

mb tier 1 (renewing today.... wonder if there's a better product cheaper...) stipulates 100,000 miles at start of cover...

Gone and done the dirty deed today... :rolleyes:
Just over £1000 with £0 excess as an MB Tier 1 warranty...
:(

No voting button for 'none of the above - don't bother'.

It's a poll for those that know they want a warranty :) Whether or not to get a warranty is a different discussion that has filled countless threads.

Only after manufacturer warranty I have ever purchased was for the wifes Z4. Last year (July) it cost £349 and was the one recommended by the BMW dealers (its called BMW insured warranty although I'm sure it will be underwritten by some other company).
2 months after getting the warranty the car went in for a rear parking sensor replacement and 2 rear springs when I enquired as to how much the springs would be I was told £400. That doesnt include the sensor so we are at least £51 up. :bannana:There are 2 levels one uses approved garage and parts. The one I have is main dealer. Obviously as they have paid out I am expecting it to go up this year.

There's nothing at that kind of price level from MB though - it would be at least double, so based on your repair costs you'd be out of pocket.

Have had warranty direct for two years now.
Year one - one claim £650 - paid out no problems so about £200 up
Year two - no claims so £400ish down

Total over two years £200 down ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom