Warranty and the shock of my life!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not quite correct - you're not locked into the dealer network to maintain warranty, just need to have the car serviced to manufacturer's schedule and standards.

So if someone wants to save a bit of cash after the first free service then they are quite within their rights to do so. Mind though, you may get some wriggling if you do come to claim, especially if it's expensive, as the OEM may want you to prove that everything has been done to schedule and standard.

Yes you are correct, I perhaps did not explain myself well enough.... they chap said that he would take the first service and then ''look after it himself'' now I have no idea if he has his own Garage business or whatever but it makes it sound like (and I'm probably/possibly wrong here) I will deal with it myself at home...type thing. And with regard to a non franchise dealer or garage being up to ''spec'' I bet it will be down to the owner to be able to prove it...... leading very swiftly to a claim rejection....IMHO. Call me a cynic but it will all be too late and very expensive if it all goes S**T shaped.

Mind though, you may get some wriggling if you do come to claim, especially if it's expensive, as the OEM may want you to prove that everything has been done to schedule and standard.

I maybe wrong here but I'm sure it is down to the dealer to prove it wasn't as long as you have the history documented.

In anycase, I had a Saab before serviced by an inde and then went on to have warranty work done by Saab.

With regard to warranties, we are discussing a rather large scope of cars when 'AMG' is mentioned.

Personally, I think it is down to the individual to decide based on their circumstances and what they feel they are able to cope with.

I personally didn't go with a warranty as the one offered was by a company I could not find a good word said about when researching - so I let the 3 monther expire and am now self-insuring.

However, my car was £17,500 to buy so my maximum liability is that - minus selling breaking for spares or repair if my inde couldn't repair it. £3000 out of that is a huge percentage and I would need to have a lot of grief to break even with that.

I've heard prices like £15k for a new gearbox but my inde says he's never had one not fixable by a £1500 overhaul.

However, if I had a second hand £80,000 AMG CLK Black, I would be more inclined to keep up the warranty as £3000 as a percentage is bugger all if I had that much cash to burn. You don't want to be forking out £37,000 for a sorted engine.

personally i don't think these Warranty's are worth the paper they are written on.. i would only do the first sevice on a new car (so long as its free), then i would check it myself from then on.. but to renew an old warranty is crazy, you could blow your engine every year and still be in pocket

Cheap engines where you live....

I have a WD warranty (well insurance policy to be pedantic). Year one about £400 premium claimed £600. Paid out no problems. Year two about £400 premium no claims. Year three premium about £400 again - just claimed £1350. Paid out no problems. So IMHO well worth it and on top of that some peace of mind. Mind you max payout is value of car so if you have an AMG where engine is massive bill do the maths.

I am also however a strong believer of such things as a 'good' car and a 'bad' car and thankfully so far I seem to have chosen wisely.
An excellent approach when buying used ^^

Some cars you just know are going to cost you money in repair bills, my S211 V6 CDi has done about 3k miles since I bought it and it hasn't made a murmur.

When I bought it, I got the feeling that although it was, to some, high mileage at 128k it had been cosseted all of it's life. It also helped that it had been the Dealer Principles car from new so had never wanted for anything.

The only time I felt as though I needed a warranty was when I looked into buying a L322 Range Rover, but other than that they've never interested me.

An excellent approach when buying used ^^

Some cars you just know are going to cost you money in repair bills, my S211 V6 CDi has done about 3k miles since I bought it and it hasn't made a murmur.

When I bought it, I got the feeling that although it was, to some, high mileage at 128k it had been cosseted all of it's life. It also helped that it had been the Dealer Principles car from new so had never wanted for anything.

The only time I felt as though I needed a warranty was when I looked into buying a L322 Range Rover, but other than that they've never interested me.

To be fair a car at over 100k mileage is very hard to get a warranty on. If you can there are often massive exclusions not making it viable.

To be fair a car at over 100k mileage is very hard to get a warranty on. If you can there are often massive exclusions not making it viable.
I think you've missed my point which was that all of the cars/vans that I've ever had, I can tell within the first month whether there will be trouble ahead.

'Good car/bad car' ;)

Just done the Warranty Direct quote online.....£775.00 for indi repair and £968 for Dealer.............. I assume this means where you can have the warranty work done, can't imagine it could mean anything else!?

Bear in mind that if you buy the dealer level cover, you must have the car dealer serviced.

I just renewed my WD cover - I did *a lot* of negotiating the first time round and got them to waive the excess, reduce the no wear and tear claims period form 90 to 45 days and include every optional cover. And I got 13mths for the price of 12.

It went up a lot on renewal and they immediately dropped it to the same rate as last year when I called, but then absolutely refused to drop it futher. I really ought to change my car and one thing I was quite surprised and pleased by is that, for exactly the same cost, they've changed it into a monthly rolling policy, which can be cancelled with no penalty. If you take a years policy and then cancel mid way, you get virtually nothing back.

I don't normally do extended warranties, but the slightest thing, ie the water cooled alternator going etc, could easily cost a grand. As someone else mentioned, I'm also concerned about COMAND - it's a bit wobbly at the best of times, and apparently they can just fail. Sure, you can hunt around and get these jobs done cheaper, but I don't always have the time to do that.

Last edited:
i had the turbo go on mine; £3500 quid... command replaced; £3000 and a few other bits and bobs that add up to about £600.

so over £7000 and i didn't pay a penny as my car came with mb tier 1 warranty which i have now renewed at £1040...

i am given to understand that AMGs are a lot dearer... so it makes for a complicated choice...
its up to each person, i service my own cars and drive like i'm on the public road not a race track, i also pick second hand cars that have history and oil changes and if anything goes wrong, which did just lately (new frount springs on my C220) i buy after market stuff (german made FAI, just as good) cost £30 each and fit them myself.. but if you don't do this or drive hard or are just unlucky, then pay the thousand or so, in the past year i have spent about £150 on my car and a few weekends work, so i'm not going to bother, its a free country..:thumb:

its up to each person, i service my own cars and drive like i'm on the public road not a race track, i also pick second hand cars that have history and oil changes and if anything goes wrong, which did just lately (new frount springs on my C220) i buy after market stuff (german made FAI, just as good) cost £30 each and fit them myself.. but if you don't do this or drive hard or are just unlucky, then pay the thousand or so, in the past year i have spent about £150 on my car and a few weekends work, so i'm not going to bother, its a free country..:thumb:

good man! :thumb:

here's hoping your luck holds out ;)

i don't pay out for the mrs' S210 E320 either...

... u probably saw my earlier post as well...

"save your money, and spend (chances are that it'll be less than that) the money if required with a good indie... that way u may come up trumps with money saved and if you have to spend it; you'll know your pride n joy is being looked after by someone who cares ..."

each person buys their cars for their own purpose, normally AMG drivers buy an AMG to drive it like its suppossed to be driven (an most times on a race track!), if you were to pootle about, you may well have saved the money and bought something made to do just that!

obviously your situ works for you in the C220, good on you..

my apologies... just looked at your profile and also your other posts... i shouldn't have taken the bait!

... you obviously come here just for a good argument with some unsuspecting fellow :wallbash:

my apologies... just looked at your profile and also your other posts... i shouldn't have taken the bait!

... you obviously come here just for a good argument with some unsuspecting fellow :wallbash:
apology accepted..and sometimes i try to make a point too.. :doh:

each person buys their cars for their own purpose, normally AMG drivers buy an AMG to drive it like its suppossed to be driven (an most times on a race track!), if you were to pootle about, you may well have saved the money and bought something made to do just that!

obviously your situ works for you in the C220, good on you..
i hope AMG drivers only do it on the race track too and yes the C220 works for me, great engine, 50 mpg plus and nice and easy to work on, lots of second hand and cheap parts to fix it.. and the wife likes it too.. why not... :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom