Warranty can work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBManInKen

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
We hear all these doom and gloom stories about warranties, I thought I'd share a better experience.

Mine has now passed the 6 year barrier, so no more service plus for me :(.

So, last year, I took out a 3 year fully comprehensive warranty on it as I intend to drive it for another little while ;).

I took the car in for its MOT on 16 Feb. Passed the MOT obviously, but tester signalled rattling cats :eek:. Two new cats, that's 1600 quid thanks you very much. :rolleyes:

Called the warranty company on 18 Feb, got a claim authorised same day. Cats replaced also same day. Cheque from warranty company in my mail on 25 Feb and since deposited into my account. :cool:

how much was the 3 yr warranty - gather this is years 6 - 9. Is there a mileage limit? What is your current mileage.

Never imagined this kind of warranty would cover the cats!

Do let us have some details, please.

Good to hear that there are proper companies out there who will honour their warranties.

The vast majority of warranty policies that I have seen seem to exclude as many common or expensive items as possible, whilst reeling of lists of parts that are unlikely to ever fail or that sound baffling to the average Joe.

Top result :)

Will

how much was the 3 yr warranty

£1,500

gather this is years 6 - 9

Would have been years 7/8/9. However, they cocked up in the paperwork, and I had to write to them several times to get it sorted, so they offered me an additional year warranty for free :D, i.e. 7/8/9/10.

Is there a mileage limit?

No, but you can't exceed a certain mileage when you take it out, based on its age.

What is your current mileage.

Just over 80K.

The catch is in the fact that although they do sell warranties directly to the public, the rather more interesting aspects of my warranty (no claim limit, more favourable mileage allowance at the start, items covered) are only available through a supplying dealer and on the basis of a successful inspection.

Its good that they covered the CATs . Mine is with Warantee Direct, and I don't think the CATs are covered.

The vast majority of warranty policies that I have seen seem to exclude as many common or expensive items as possible, whilst reeling of lists of parts that are unlikely to ever fail or that sound baffling to the average Joe.

I was quite careful and I made sure I had read the small print before signing up. I also knew specifically what I wanted (i.e. I specified things like: cats must be covered, airmatic must be fully covered, etc.) and I put this in writing.

I think the catch is that while it seems they do sell directly to the public, you normally don't get the level of cover that you get by going through a supplying dealer who is required to get a pre-acceptance inspection of the vehicle carried out.

Top result :)

Thanks, certainly is. :)

Its good that they covered the CATs . Mine is with Warantee Direct, and I don't think the CATs are covered.

Lots of warranties actually exclude the most expensive stuff. I wanted a warranty that would cover these things, so I did shop around for it :).

Don't suppose you could negotiate a deal through my supplying dealer can you??! ;) :D

That was a blinding deal and I really could do with a warantee, but I have absolutely no idea about how to go about getting one. I think they'd see me coming! :rolleyes: lol

A marvellous deal Guido; £1500 sounds a lot but for 3 years (forget the free year) I think it is a bargain, on what is a complex product.

That's what I was thinking at the time too. The car has not given me any problems and frankly the cats going is not really exceptionally either at this age/mileage. I figured that 1500 quid for 3 years peace of mind was well worth it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom