Warranty Companies :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wylie66

Car
E280cdi
Hi All

Hoping someone can give me some direction please.

I have a 55 plate W211 280CDi Auto(127000 miles, full history) that has suddenly developed a Turbo Fault. The fantastic blokes at Mercanix identified a sudden failure on the electronic actuator.

My warranty company are trying to wriggle out of the problem by saying this is caused by a build up of soot on the vanes of the Turbo causing the actuator to jam and subsequently fail which in their opinion is not a sudden failure. Reading the numerous posts about actuators I have to disagree with this diagnosis, as do the Mechanics at Mercanix.

We have sort of hit stale mate and though I will have to swallow the cost to begin with I am wondering what the line from Mercedes is on this common issue.

Anybody have a thought where I can go with this please? It appears at this juncture my warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on.

John

What were the symptoms? Was the car undrivable? Who is the warranty company?

Symptoms were kangarooing down the road at full throttle, then limp home mode. Also consistent problem with the car at light throttle about 1400 rpm, about 60ish, on the motorway car feels like it is misfiring.

Warranty company is EPG Warranty Assist

10 years old and 127k is wear and tear not failure.

On that basis there's no point in having a warranty on any car with that sort of age and mileage, it seems to me. Is that what you are suggesting?

Without knowing the full facts, we can't really make informed comment; what if a replacement turbo had been fitted at half the mileage? The ones who can make an informed comment are the (presumably trained) techs who have looked at the car, and their opinion is that it is not wear and tear.

If I were the OP, I'd offer the warranty company the chance to have the car inspected by an independent engineer - another Merc indie, say - and see what happens.

E55BOF. Honestly? Yes. Warranty companies wrangle out of anything, repairs are on a sliding scale usually. Even at half that mileage they could fairly argue it was at least half worn, and offer a part payment.

Get the refusal from the warranty company and the opinion from you garage plus another independent source in writing and then onto to small claims court if you have the time and inclination.

It's really very simple, it's either covered or not and I'd suggest the repair should be covered, no sliding scale on cost of repairs or any other nonsense unless the terms and conditions state otherwise.

Warranty companies will try to wriggle or using any trick. They refused to pay out on a transfer box (EVO 6) I had as a screw came lose inside and buffered it. They said that fasteners are not included in the warranty.

Thanks for all the responses, all valid.

Alf Barnet, I understand what you are saying however they have given me a "Full" warranty with the caveat that claims are paid at 50%, which I have duly accepted. With this in mind the warranty clearly states that the Turbo is covered, and the mechanical side of the Turbo is fine as far as I know, it is just the electrical actuator that has had a sudden failure. This is a well documented design flaw in the fact that the Actuator is not sold separately and has to have a new Turbo. So my argument here is in accordance with their own wording the car has had a sudden failure and should be honored.

Wylie give it go! I wasn't aware of the 50% offer, which seems quite fair - let us know how you get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom