Warranty decision... at last!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fgaffney

Car
1999 C200 Sport
On the 6th July this year I decided to take my W202 to the new MB Bodyshop in West Lothian to make a claim under warranty for paintwork related problems.

All four arches were showing signs of bubbling and a small area of laquer had peeled from the F/O/S wing. I had only bought the car the week earlier and was aware of the paint problems before parting with my cash. I admit I took a gamble with the purchase but it was based on information provided by a family Mercedes owner who assured me the problems would be rectified under the Mobilolife 30 year warranty.

I reckon I got the car for about £1 - £1.5k cheaper than book due to the paintwork problems and figured if the claim with MB was unsuccessful it would still be a saving for me if I went to a local independent bodyshop and payed for the repairs.

The car was a Dec 99 and had dealer service stamps on 05/04/00, 03/04/01, 11/03/02 & 08.04.03. The most recent service was done on 09/04/04 by the non MB selling garage.

When I took the car for inspection (without an appointment) the areas were photographed, the paint depth measured on all panels and the logbook photocopied. There was no magnifying glass used and I got the impression the examiner wasn’t looking to blame stonechips or anything else for the problems. He also revealed rust below the rubber of 2 doors which I was unaware of and said there should be no problem with the claim being approved and if I hadn’t heard anything in 2 weeks to ‘chase things up’.

4 weeks later, after no contact, I phoned the bodyshop to enquire on how things were progressing and was told there was a back log and that it could take up to 6 weeks until I heard anything.

A further 2 weeks on I popped into the bodyshop to enquire personally. They stated they were aware of the claim and were still dealing with the back log which was now running at up to 8 weeks. I was starting to feel a bit miffed with everything and thought I was getting the brush off.

The 8 week period expired yesterday and I made a further phonecall to MB resulting in some good news… the chap on the phone advised me that my claim had been approved and that he would phone me over the next couple of days to arrange a date for work to commence. I thanked him and said farewell. 20 mins later the phone rings again and it was MB offering the 4th Oct as a date for my car stating the job would take approx 2 weeks to complete (4 wings and the tops of 2 doors).

When I enquired about a courtesy car I was told that as it was a ’99 car they would happily give me a VW Polo for the fortnight.

From what the chap on the phone said it would appear that the rust issues associated with all cars of my age are being taken quite seriously and are being rectified under warranty without too much hassle. Despite the time delay in the claim being processed I have to say it’s been a painless experience for me and I can’t wait to see the results from this brand spanking new bodyshop.

I would urge anyone else in a similar position to myself to get down to your local bodyshop and get a claim in… you have nothing to lose!!!

Still waiting for news on my claim after taking my car in 4 weeks ago, was not told how long or anything, the garage in my opinion just did not care.

Car booked in

Well the car went off to MB this morning and I've been given a nice wee '04 Polo 1.2 to run around in (50 mile a day limit).

Turns out my car is having both front wings replaced along with the drivers door and all other panels are being re-sprayed with the exception of roof, bonnett and bootlid.

Looking forward to a shiny new car in a fortnights time :)

I have to say that the service I've received following my warranty claim has been first class. A lot of people are quick to moan and slow to praise and I feel that praise is deserved here.

I'm awaiting the go ahead on an issue raised with my dealer in June. Apparently there is a backlog at the dealer and people keep crashing resulting in too much work. I was told on wednesday that I had moved up a few places in the queue.

MB are fully aware of the rust issues and have come up with new techniques for repairing affected areas, rather than replacing panels.

Result!! :bannana: :bannana:

Glad to hear you got it sorted. :)

You mentioned the bootlid has escaped a respray? I would get them to check very carefully at each end of the exterior plastic trim that holds the number plate illumination bulbs as these are notorious for rubbing and causing rust issues on the W202.

S.

Having had my two front wings and 4 doors replaced, I was still fighting to point out that the underside of my car was corroding.

Daimler Chrysler H.O. in my case have been very good, with exceptionally high service levels. They have just authorised the treatment of the underside with wax, the result of an internal meeting which revisited the handling of anti-corrosion claims on the W210 due to the number of claims/cases (though I'm not sure if this was at dealer level or H.O. level). Daimler Chrysler's customer service has been first class, if a little slow to invoke. Once H.O. are on the case, results are rapid :)

fgaffney said:
Looking forward to a shiny new car in a fortnights time :)

Don't forget to check the car thoroughly before accepting it back. When mine was given back after the warranty repairs it was full of greasy fingerprints, esp on the windows/windscreen. How did that managed to escape their attention one wonders as they said that the car has been washed and polished prior to delivery.:confused:

uumode said:
Daimler Chrysler H.O. in my case have been very good, with exceptionally high service levels. They have just authorised the treatment of the underside with wax, the result of an internal meeting which revisited the handling of anti-corrosion claims on the W210 due to the number of claims/cases (though I'm not sure if this was at dealer level or H.O. level). Daimler Chrysler's customer service has been first class, if a little slow to invoke. Once H.O. are on the case, results are rapid :)

The meeting was between major dealers and MB Uk. The corrosion claims are costing a fortune and MB are trying to address the cost of claims and fixing the cars. Some interesting repair techniques are going to be implemented ....and there's more...

Last edited:
The meeting was between major dealers and MB Uk. The corrosion claims are costing a fortune and MB are trying to address the cost of claims and fixing the cars. Some interesting repair techniques are going to be implemented ....and there's more...

Just shows that cutting corners will end up costing you more in the end.

Dieselman said:

i hope there not going ahead with this repair technique which i was told about :eek: :eek:
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7467&highlight=wire+brush :D

Last edited:
A bit more aggressive than wire brushing. Grinding has been used for a while but has been found to be unsucessful on deeper rust.
Err..sand and compressed air might be somewhere in the equation. Interesting in a paint shop huh.

....There's still more.... but not for open forum.

Car uplifted

Well I got the car back today and have to say I am very impressed and extremely pleased with the work carried out. The car looks like new with absolutely no signs of any respray having taken place and the colour matching is perfect. Both wings look nicely lined up and the drivers door hangs and closes as it did before with all the workings operating normally.

Obviously the car has been machine polished as I would have expected but my wheels and tyres were dressed too which was a bit of a surprise!!!

On the downside they forgot to rectify under the ROS door seal so it's booked in again for the 2nd Nov and the interior was a bit 'dusty/chalky' however when made aware they gave it a quick valet 'to my standard'. On the whole I can't really complain and I've been treated very well so top marks for Customer Service.

Steve - I had a look at the rear no.plate light assembly and I can't see any rust... I may take it off and have a proper look prior to the 2nd. Nov... thanks!

Attention other W202 owners... while I was waiting for the valet to finish I had a good look through the observation window into the bodyshop itself and saw a further two W202's with their front wings off... take what you want from that but I reckon it's a good sign for those waiting on their own warranty decision!!!

Result!! :D Glad you got it sorted :) Thanks for keeping us updated on progress.

With regard the rear numberpate light strip/assembly on the boot. There's no need to remove the plastic strip, any rust spidering/bubbling should be visible on the far edges of the plastic strip. The four philips head screws that hold the assembly in place can be a bugger to remove/replace so I wouldn't want you going through the pain of needlessly removing them.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5925&highlight=number

S.

1998 CLK 320 Elegance. Having applied to the local MB dealer in Belfast in November 2004, I have just recieved notice that they are going to sand blast and respray my boot around the lock and the drivers side rear wheel arch on 11th April. I have been informed by the dealer that Mb do not make any provision for a courtesy car. having bought the car in Sept 2004 with a Full service History and having just been ripped off by having a further service in the Belfast MB dealership, I think I've probably paid twice what a normal garage would have charged for a respray. Does anyone know if your entitled to a courtesy car, or am I being fogged off? Out of interest the car came back from the service and when I returned home I discovered an inspection cover off under the bonnet, my single wiper now hits the side of the screen and my ignition key was broken. The dealer so far has put a new cover on and said they are replacing the key. They informed me the wiper does give bother with the single motor, and I informed them it was perfect before they got there hands on it, Still not resolved.!

My claim for rust repair has taken over 12 months to get a decision.
Mercedes inspected in September and I had to write a letter to the dealer in January before any action was taken.
I am pleased that your experiance is better than mine.

Robert

rust

have you been offered a courtesy car? and what date if any have they give you?

Dealers normally give a courtesy car for warranty work, but I'm not sure they are obligated to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom