warranty direct Vs Mercedes Extended Teir 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul73mt

Car
2010 C350 CDI Sport sold , 2015 E250 CDI AMG Line Sold
Hi once again but a quick question and what are your thoughts:-

My car is now out of warranty and have looked at the above two and just wonder what your thoughts are. Warranty Direct comes out at £650 for the first year and the Mercedes one would be £545 for a year with £250 excess

Thanks In Advance

Paul

Go for Mercedes Tier 1. Different league.

Mercedes Tier 1 which is 10 times better than WD for a lower cost than WD ....... thats a no brainer !

mercedes one is better, take off the 250 excess and its a no brainer and send it to the dealer for everything that goes wrong thats covered

One way of looking at the excess is that you will pay £250 towards an MB repair that WD would refuse to cover at all. You will still come out ahead financially and will avoid all the grief and time wasting of arguing your lost case with WD. You will wonder why you wasted £500+ with WD but wont feel like that with MB.

Been with WD & now with WW, all work that I've had done was at the dealer. MB at the time wanted £1050!...for £1400 i got 2years top cover from WW. MB will deff be better but in my case the difference was massive.

Is it worth the risk for the sake of 500/600 bucks? if some thing was to go wrong I'm sure it will cost at least half that.

When I was in the trade Warranty Direct was the best of the independents out there and always authorised claims, that quote for MB T1 does seem very cheap though so I'd double check it never seem in come in lower than a WD quote before

With Tier 1, a potential barrier is the dealer.

Two different dealers told me a failed suspension thrust arm bushing is definitely not covered as it is "wear and tear" hence I would have to pay.

A quick call to the Mercedes warranty hotline and they said it was definitely covered, no question about it.

Possible genuine mistake by dealers, possible that they wanted me to pay for the repair and also submit a claim = get paid twice.

Who knows.

The Don do you have Fully Comp or TPFT insurance cover on your car ?

Been with WD & now with WW, all work that I've had done was at the dealer. MB at the time wanted £1050!...for £1400 i got 2years top cover from WW. MB will deff be better but in my case the difference was massive.

Can I ask why you switched from WD to WW?

I'm with WD at the moment and I like the look of WW but the price was near enough double (roughly £500 for WD and £1000 for WW) with no very obvious cover difference.

When I was in the trade Warranty Direct was the best of the independents out there and always authorised claims,

That's good to know!

..that quote for MB T1 does seem very cheap though so I'd double check it never seem in come in lower than a WD quote before

Agree - I thought they started out around £800.

The excess is very high, perhaps that's the reason. Personally, I always go for low insurance excesses - in fact I have £0 on my WD policy (and £0 on my car insurace). With insurance generally, I wouldn't mind if there was a minimum claim value, but once I do claim I don't want to have to pay part of it myself.

The Don - the one you value the most !
The point I was making was that we sometimes choose the highest level of cover for things we value or cant readily afford to replace and that relates to car warranties. Self insuring is a gamble which can be avoided with a warranty ( well with one that pays out !)

The Don - the one you value the most !
The point I was making was that we sometimes choose the highest level of cover for things we value or cant readily afford to replace and that relates to car warranties. Self insuring is a gamble which can be avoided with a warranty ( well with one that pays out !)

...and as long as things go wrong as a reliable car with no warranty would be the ideal but I am coming to realise that Mercedes might be screwed together well but those screws have a bad habit of coming undone again.

When I was in the trade Warranty Direct was the best of the independents out there and always authorised claims, that quote for MB T1 does seem very cheap though so I'd double check it never seem in come in lower than a WD quote before

I agree. Either MB have drastically reduced their prices or the figure is a mistake, like for like. When I took out my top level cover with WD for my ML (£620), Mercedes wanted about £1,400...

Can I ask why you switched from WD to WW?

I was never keen on WD's attitude, i found them quite rude at times so when the renewal was up i shopped around & am pleased i did as i am happy with WW.....so far!

Well thanks for your help guys but looks like MB is the one i'll go with

This is the quote i got from them:-

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your recent interest in taking out an additional warranty for your Mercedes-Benz. We are pleased to offer you the opportunity to retain your peace of mind and continue to be protected against the inconvenience of any unexpected motoring problems you may encounter once your initial cover period has expired.

We have various different products to chose from, and you also have the option to pay up front or on a true monthly pay as you go basis.

The quotations below are based on a Mercedes-Benz which has not exceeded 60,000 miles*

Tier 1 0 Excess 100 Excess 250 Excess
Annual £690.06 £617.77 £545.49
Monthly £65.06 £58.27 £51.47

Tier 2 0 Excess 100 Excess 250 Excess
Annual £617.77 £556.32 £494.88
Monthly £58.27 £52.49 £46.71

I'm only thinking about the gearbox as it has the oh so great 7G in it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom