Warranty Direct?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We recently tried to make a claim on our used car warranty.

My wife's car failed it's MOT due to hand brake efficiency. Needed rear drums, cylinders and shoes.

Them : "Sorry, Mr Customer, we don't cover that. Read your policy book."
Me "I did - it says that you do."
Them : "Tough luck, would you like to renew your cover?"
Me : "No thanks"

I'm sure people have some good experiences. I didn't.

I'd do as suggested and save the £37 a month and put it towards maintenance and servicing.

Which company was that with? Some don't pay for failures discovered at MOT.

Which company was that with? Some don't pay for failures discovered at MOT.
It was Warranty Wise.

I take the point about "Serviceable items", but in my opinion they seem to give the impression that it'll all be covered. It's probably the phrase "including wear and tear".

I'm sure a lot of people are duped into thinking that they will be covered come what may and take out warranties only to find they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

You live and learn. ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Just to let you know, the £37 / month cover is for the following (taken from the email sent to me after phone call):

When they say "You are eligible for our Secure Care level of cover, our highest level" - in reality that means the highest for the age of car.

Cover levels are here: http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/summary_m.html

It was Warranty Wise.

I take the point about "Serviceable items", but in my opinion they seem to give the impression that it'll all be covered. It's probably the phrase "including wear and tear".

I'm sure a lot of people are duped into thinking that they will be covered come what may and take out warranties only to find they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

You live and learn. ;)

I think you have to be realistic with warranties - they're insurance policies and, if you think about household insurance, then for it to pay out something normally has to break.

WD do pay on wear and tear of non-service items on percentage basis based on mileage.

Many car warranties exclude work discovered during routine servicing and MOT - with some of them the car has to break down or fail in some way before they accept the claim.

On my car - I was having the ATF changed by Olly and he pointed out the sound of the front crankshaft bearing. I took it into MB in Swindon and they did a diagnostic check and confirmed it. WD agreed the work without inspecting the car - but maybe MB paying 50% as goodwill may have been a factor in this.

Just to change tack a little - if I read the early post correctly, the OP was 2 weeks into ownership of a car purchased from a dealer, yet states he was only given a 1 month warranty. I understood the law now is that dealers must give a minimum of 6 months warranty - or am I wrong?

As for WD, my c270 came with 1 year of top level WD warranty, and I had 1 claim in that year for MAF failure - can't fault WD for the way they dealt with the claim. However, I did not renew as it was over £400pa.

I understood the law now is that dealers must give a minimum of 6 months warranty - or am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. There's no requirement to give any warranty at all.

Sale of Goods act asserts a reverse burden of proof for 6 mths such that the seller has to prove any fault which occurs whithin 6mths wasn't present at the time of sale. But it's a can of worms - in the OPs case, the clutch worked at the time of sale so clearly it wasn't faulty then. It's hard to enforce too - at the end of the day you might have to sue the seller.

The law also takes into account the price paid for the car and its age and mileage. You can't buy an old banger and expect the seller to treat it as if it's got a 6mth comprehensive warranty.

I think in the OP's case, it may be better to put the cash in the bank. £37 a month is £440 year, and the car will still need servicing. Insurance preys on fears, not facts.

(Tesco until a year so ago did a WD-look alike service, but pulled it. Some guys on the Fiat Forum bought MOT failures, slapped a Tesco Gold warranty on, then claimed for every last nut and bolt. Warranty Direct are a bit more canny. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom